Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Devoid of all flim-flam

Just checkin' in

Just moved from SoCal to the Big Island of Hawaii. Ah, retirement! Bicycles are still aboard that Matson Container ship alongside all the other essentials of life. I'm still working out where exactly I'll ride the beasts, too. Anyway, just checking in. Photos when my camera finally shows up. (I hate taking pics on my cellphone.)
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    "Just checkin' in to say I'm retired and living in Hawaii and my biggest worry is that I don't know which route around this beautiful place I'd like to ride"... if you weren't such a d*mn nice guy, I'd seriously consider hating you.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

Devoid of all flim-flam
    It just occurred to me. The Rydster's fantasy description of me that I have at the bottom of my posts finally has an element of truth!
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Frog Whisperer
    How do I go about scheduling a visit with you?
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Darling of The Lounge
    Congrats on retirement!

After 25 years of languishing in California, it's time for me to head back home to the 50th State as well.

I took a job starting in a couple of months on Kauai. I'll finish my career in about 5 years and then retire for good.

I plan take one bike with me, but also invest in a kyak and a good pair of hiking shoes.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    ........ and a good pair of hiking shoes.
    Ti or asbestos?

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Devoid of all flim-flam
    No visitors for a while, sorry to say. House is several months from completion. Me and Sogno are at the mercy of workers and weather.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    No visitors for a while, sorry to say. House is several months from completion. Me and Sogno are at the mercy of workers and weather.
    And the volcano? Naw, you are both way smarter than that!

Devoid of all flim-flam
    The eruption is actually visible from what will eventually be my kitchen(?) window. Way off in the distance. In any case, it's amusing how the locals are treating the situation. It's reported on the evening news just like brushfires & freeway traffic tie-ups are reported on in L.A.

Boobies!
    Congratulations on retirement--and enjoy the house building process!
    "A man is judged by the company he keeps, and a company is judged by the men it keeps, and the people of Democratic nations are judged by the type and caliber of officers they elect."
    William J.H. Boetcker

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Congrats. I had a family later in life, so I'll probably die at my desk.

I recall one year when my nanny went to Hawaii for a vacation, while we went to the beach in Delaware. It dawned on me that we were paying her too much. I sure don't miss handing off half my paycheck to that woman.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Congrats, I enjoy seeing people achieve their dreams. I hope it's everything you want it to be and more.

I have never made it to Hawaii, my bride has been bugging me about it for 10 years. 2019 will probably be the year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Time to invest on a bike with fitting name?
    Just checkin' in-kona-fire-mountain-2017-mountain-bike-black-ev291741-8500-1.jpg

Non non normal
    Congratulations on the retirement! Wow, that is a big change in your life to change islands.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Congrats on teh retirement. Haven't been to the Big island myself. Stay away from those lava bombs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
    The problem is I don't know how hard my wood is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    well, riding reduces my homicidal urges, so it's beneficial in that regard.

gazing from the shadows
    I wish you both a long, happy, and healthy retirement. You should have a head start on that, given where you are!
    Stout beers under trees, please.

All I wanted was a Pepsi!
    Repped.
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Wishing the both of you the best and happiest retirement. You deserve it.

Question, do Lua Pele make good Treks?

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just moved from SoCal to the Big Island of Hawaii. Ah, retirement! Bicycles are still aboard that Matson Container ship alongside all the other essentials of life. I'm still working out where exactly I'll ride the beasts, too. Anyway, just checking in. Photos when my camera finally shows up. (I hate taking pics on my cellphone.)
    Congratulations, old man!

Keep us, trapped on the continent, informed on the scene in Hawaii. Il Sogno, too. Kudos!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Congratulations on the retirement, and the big move too. It's quite a milestone. Of course it's all downhill from here on. Except for riding of course. Now it will be uphill, in both directions. Nah, fun times; enjoy!

Seat's not level
    did the bathtub also make the move? Was it pre-approved by the inlaw? :-)
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    did the bathtub also make the move? Was it pre-approved by the inlaw? :-)
    Ah bathtubs! The brain overloads. Bon chance to the old tub. A new one sits in storage until we finish the house to put it in. We currently live in a tiny cottage in the middle of a rain forest. The shower is downstairs in the cellar. The cottage's bathtub has a perennial leak. It's pretty useless to clean ourselves. On the bright side, it's a fine place for the cat box.

Frog Whisperer
    Ah bathtubs! The brain overloads. Bon chance to the old tub. A new one sits in storage until we finish the house to put it in. We currently live in a tiny cottage in the middle of a rain forest. The shower is downstairs in the cellar. The cottage's bathtub has a perennial leak. It's pretty useless to clean ourselves. On the bright side, it's a fine place for the cat box.
    speaking of useless.....You new here boy? Familiar with the "company" policy here? USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES

Seat's not level
    good to see the priorities haven't changed :-) best of luck in you new adventure.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

Misfit Toy
    Well I hate you both, but I hope I get the opportunity to visit you. Enjoy retirement -- do not be alarmed when you do not know what day it is.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast