RoadBikeReview Member

Just finished my Air Force PT test

I had set an high goal of running my mile and a half in the nine minute range. Didn't get there.

On the plus side I took two inches off my waist the last year, lost another ten pounds, and still managed a 10:20 mile and a half .

Not to bad for turning 45. But I'm going to redo test in April, and use the winter to fine tune my running so maybe I can achieve my goal at age 45.

Bill

RoadBikeReview Member
    I hope your scores were high enough to pass.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    In the Army we call those tests the semi-annual run for the mortgage. Congrats on the improvements.

Darling of The Lounge
    Good job!

Thankfully...I was member of the once a year club when I did my Air Force PT testing. I loathed the run because it would mess up my legs for bike riding a few days afterwords.

I hear that fitness testing results is now part of EPR and OPR grading.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Congrats on not taking it until next year! I'm not sure about where you are, but I took mine early once to get on a schedule of every May. Taking it here in July would be horrible. I finally got into the 9 min range a few years ago in my last test before they went from 5 year age brackets to 10. Hasn't happened since.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I remember those well... I'd run to the front for about .5 miles until my exercise induced asthma and sinus issues would catch up with me; at which point I'd walk to clear out my air way and get passed by 50% of the other runners. Then I'd do it again, and then one more time at the finish... fortunately, according to Navy medical, there was nothing wrong with me and I should just suck it up. I don't miss military medical.
    * 1977 Motobecane Super Mirage (fixed) * 60th anniversary Schwinn Paramount (Chorus/Centaur 10 speed) * 2002 Trek 520 (ShimErgo Athena 11 driving 9spd LX/105) * 2005 Kona Dew Deluxe * 2008 Gary Fisher Piranha * 2011 Focus Maleta *

Get me to In&Out
    Quote Originally Posted by crossracer View Post
    I had set an high goal of running my mile and a half in the nine minute range. Didn't get there.

On the plus side I took two inches off my waist the last year, lost another ten pounds, and still managed a 10:20 mile and a half .

Not to bad for turning 45. But I'm going to redo test in April, and use the winter to fine tune my running so maybe I can achieve my goal at age 45.

Bill
    I just took mine last week too. 94.2 for a 44 year old. I showed up at 0530 in the morning in Tucson to run and was told it was inside due to standing water on the track. Bonus was the lightening knocked the A/C offline during the night so the indoor track was 90F. So much for getting up early to avoid the heat.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    [Thankfully...I was member of the once a year club when I did my Air Force PT testing. I loathed the run because it would mess up my legs for bike riding a few days afterwords.
    [/QUOTE]

Sorry if this sounds like bragging.

It was the late 70's when I was in the USAF, and I used to start training for the PT test about 8 weeks ahead of time. Then I'd ride my bike to the test, run and ride back to the barracks.

I ran 5 minutes and change one year for the 1.5 miles when our division orchestrated the test, which was usually performed by the larger air base group. I knew the distance markers they used were wrong but that wasn't my problem. Well, headquarters didn't believe my time and wanted me to run it again on their measured course. They didn't ask the rest of the division who obviously would have faster times, so why just me?

So, I ride my Richard Sachs out to the start line which was at the entry point to the SAC alert facility. It was an out and back route and you could see the entire line of runners all the way out to the turnaround cone.

I wore running shorts and strung my running shoes over the handlebars. Of course, everyone could see me arriving from a mile away and, as the only cyclist and the only person not to arrive by car, I stuck out like a sore thumb.

Sent on our way, it must have looked like Lance among a bunch of Big Wheels. I was actually cooled down, shoes changed, and riding home when 2nd place came in. My time that year was 7:02. In fact, I held the base record for all 3 years I was stationed there.

After the test, I wouldn't run for the rest of the year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    As an old Soldier, I snicker every time I hear someone from the Air Force talk about PT. (just a little inter-service dig - only kidding)

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I ran the Navy PRT in the 9:15 to 9:30 range when I was a young buck, the last one I ran around age 39 or 40 was about 10:30. They gave us the option of using the elliptical at the end so I handed in my man card and used that for my last couple to go easy on my knees and back. Interestingly, you could also do it on the stationary bike, and although I was racing bikes and pretty fit, cycling wise, you had to ride the bike on max intensity for something like 10 minutes for the top score. My heart rate would max out after about 5 minutes and I could barely turn the pedals over.

Good luck with the 9 minute goal. One of my biggest regrets was giving up on running so that's it's extremely painful whenever I get back out to pound the pavement.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by headloss View Post
    I don't miss military medical.
    Just take some motrin. That seemed to be the cure all for our medical

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just did my Navy test last month. 47 y.o.

9:40 for the 1.5

Oh and 90 pushups and 80 situps in the 2 minute limit.

Sometimes it's good to not be a pure cyclist.
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes

RoadBikeReview Member

Just finished my Air Force PT test

Darn it, now I feel slow. Thanks navy.

Lol lol lol

Bill

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007

Bill
    congrats and good luck

Master debator.
    In the Army it was a 2 mile run, and situps and pushups for 2 minutes. I maxed out the PT test every time except the final year when I got into weight lifting, I became big and bulky and slow. 20 years and 20 lbs ago I ran 2 miles in under 10 minutes, ahhh to be young again.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Custom User Title
    back in my USAF days (1977-1981), i ran the 1.5 miler in 3 minutes. i stopped twice to tie my shoe and have a smoke.
    There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. - Ansel Adams

RoadBikeReview Member
    Darn it, now I feel slow. Thanks navy.

Lol lol lol

Bill
    Trust me your numbers are at the edge of the Navy PT bell curve. People half your age struggle to get in under 11:00
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Great Threat, LOL and by the way; Go Navy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    You old farts make me feel like a young fatty. I'll drown another Caucasian with heavy cream in front of Le Grande Lebowski to ease my pains