Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just saw Django

RoadBikeReview Member

just saw Django

Was hesitant, unsure if I could sit through 3hrs of multiplex hell.

It went by fast. Fun story.

If you don't have the stomach for a feel-good movie like Silver Linings, this is your feel-good movie, mutha****a.

How to describe..........imagine if the makers of Gone With the Wind decided to hire Quentin Tarantino to write the script.

You've got old-world lushness combined with Loony-Tunes violence. You've got the cheezy suspense of James Bond and the cheezy machismo of John Wayne and cheezy horror movie effects.

Oh yeah, and the highbrow intellectual stimulation of The King's Speech. This movie is one example of why I majored in Communications- shows the power of smooth talkin'.

Holy ****ing **** is all I can say.

Keep an eye out from the brunette guy from Dukes of Hazard, and the prettyboy from Miami Vice. Among other familiar faces.

Last edited by Christine; 01-02-2013 at 06:59 PM.

Windrider (Stubborn)

just saw Django

Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post

If you don't have the stomach for a feel-good movie like Silver Linings, this is your feel-good movie, mutha****a.

How to describe..........imagine if the makers of Gone With the Wind decided to hire Quentin Tarantino to write the script.

You've got old-world lushness combined with Loony-Tunes violence. You've got the cheezy suspense of James Bond and the cheezy machismo of John Wayne and cheezy horror movie effects.

Oh yeah, and the highbrow intellectual stimulation of The King's Speech. This movie is one example of why I majored in Communications- shows the power of smooth talkin'.

Keep an eye out from the brunette guy from Dukes of Hazard, and the prettyboy from Miami Vice. Among other familiar faces.

DiCaprio was amazing.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

QED
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post

This is my favorite movie review evar. I wasn't going to go see it, but you have made me change my mind.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Len J View Post
    DiCaprio was amazing.

Len
    You've read the comments from DiCaprio concerning his role? Very interesting how he felt personally.

Quote Originally Posted by DiCaprio

Dhaka, Dec 18 (UNB) - Actor Leonardo DiCaprio, who has won a Golden Globe nomination for his role in Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained, says he did not like his character in the film.

DiCaprio, 38 plays the role of plantation boss Calvin Candie, who forces his male workers to fight for sport and pushes his female servants into prostitution.

"It was this incredibly interesting horrific character. I mean, there was absolutely nothing about this man I could identify with. I hated him and it was one of the most narcissistic, racist characters I've ever read in my entire life," dailystar.co.uk quoted DiCaprio as saying.

The actor initially wanted to soften his character but his co-stars Jamie Foxx and Samuel L. Jackson convinced him to go by the script.

"One of the pivotal moments for me was this initial read-through, I wondered if it needed to be this violent and this atrocious to other human beings and it was Sam and Jamie who said, 'If you sugarcoat this, people are gonna resent the hell out of you. You got to push this guy to the outer extreme'," DiCaprio said.

"That is what ignited me into going the way I did into the character," he added.

QED
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    You've read the comments from DiCaprio concerning his role? Very interesting how he felt personally.
    Thanks for sharing that. I didn't even know what this movie was actually about. I will wait for it to be on video.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There is a Japanese Samurai/Western smash up made a few years ago that Tarantino was in (the token American in this Japanese movie). "Western Django Sukiyaki", made in 2007. The plot line is more akin to Shakespeare than a spagetti western simple vengeance plot, it is inspired by historical clan rivalry that existed at the end of Japan's feudal samurai era.

I haven't see "Django Unchained" yet, but I'm sure that Tarantino's work in the 2007 Japanese movie inspired him to create his latest movie.

I expect that anyone who liked Django Unchained would enjoy the Sukiyaki movie as well.
    - Character is what you are in the Dark - Dwight L Moody & Dr Emilio Lizardo

Moderatus Puisne
    We see very few films in the cinema, and most of these are geeky sci-fi and fantasy stuff with epic special effects, but, as a Tarantino fanboy I've been trying to convince the Girl to come see Django. So far it hasn't worked, but, this recommendation might do it!

Also, guys aren't brunette...

won't you be my neighbor?
    I'm in. Christine convinced me.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Morticus: Discreet sex? Oh hell no, I want to high-five people as I walk down the hall.

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

AM999: Romney 320 Electoral votes, Obama 218. Colorado profs' prediction model, 100% accurate since 1980.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day it blew my teenage mind

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 67caddy View Post
    There is a Japanese Samurai/Western smash up made a few years ago that Tarantino was in (the token American in this Japanese movie). "Western Django Sukiyaki", made in 2007. The plot line is more akin to Shakespeare than a spagetti western simple vengeance plot, it is inspired by historical clan rivalry that existed at the end of Japan's feudal samurai era.

I haven't see "Django Unchained" yet, but I'm sure that Tarantino's work in the 2007 Japanese movie inspired him to create his latest movie.

I expect that anyone who liked Django Unchained would enjoy the Sukiyaki movie as well.
    which is actually quite common. Both Ran and Throne of Death were Shakespearean.
    Spaghetti westerns borrowed most their good ideas from Kurosawa anyhow
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Windrider (Stubborn)

just saw Django

I'm not surprised.....thanks for the link.

DiCaprios character is riveting........he makes you hate him but you can't take your eyes away.....and he absolutely believable.

Len

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by 67caddy View Post

Thanks for mentioning this 67caddy. I will have to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki Western Django
    Inspired by the historical rivalry between the Genji and Heike clans, which ushered in the era of samurai dominance in Japanese history, Sukiyaki Western Django is set "a few hundred years after the Genpei War". The Genji and Heike gangs face off in a town named "Yuta" in "Nevata", when a nameless gunman comes into town to help a prostitute get revenge on the warring gangs. The film contains numerous references both to the historical Genpei War and to Wars of the Roses, as well as the films Yojimbo and Django.

RoadBikeReview Member
    not too shabby.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Generally speaking DiCaprio movies are high on my list to see, adding on Sam Jackson just raised it.
    Sent from my Personal Computer while tapping on the keyboard

Windrider (Stubborn)

just saw Django

Quote Originally Posted by ohvrolla View Post
    Generally speaking DiCaprio movies are high on my list to see, adding on Sam Jackson just raised it.
    Samuel Jackson will not be who you expect.

your text here
    i had the opposite reaction to this movie than i thought would. i lover quentin flicks. i do not like dicaprio.

this movie was "meh" for me. but jamie fox, dicaprio and jackson were awesome. christof waltz was "meh." and i was really looking forward to him.

people talked about the frequency of "the n word" and how bloody the gun shots were. that didnt phase me at all. in fact, the use of language was excellent. saying "the n word" made sense here, and they didnt play it like it was a bad word. much like back then. what did get me was "mandingo fighting." man that really upset me.

this movie also didnt have any good tarantino monologues. pales in comparison to inglorious.

i love seeing all the standard players. zoe was a nice touch. also good to see don johnson reprise his role from machete and eastbound and down.

oh, that other django is tought to watch. why did they decide to speak english? yeesh, that was hard to follow. and i havent seen original django that sparked this.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Interesting reviews. Thought Dicaprio wasn't very good

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here is a great example of being over inspired.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...1SAPdsKtjek_XS

RoadBikeReview Member
    people talked about the frequency of "the n word" and how bloody the gun shots were. that didnt phase me at all. in fact, the use of language was excellent. saying "the n word" made sense here, and they didnt play it like it was a bad word. much like back then. what did get me was "mandingo fighting." man that really upset me.

Agreed. The racism was in context, and it just makes you cringe a bit the way an episode of Mad Men or a cigarette commercial from a few decades ago would.

The violence was cartoonish, although a lot of the same stuff certainly happened to slaves. It was a tribute to what they endured, like a war movie. For that reason it didn't bother me. Plus, the movie is so much like those old westerns or Bond movies, that you don't forget it's all acting (albeit damn good acting.)

The "black slaver" lesson did make me sad, and I learned something.

Figures it's based off of Shakespeare! That's the only way I don't feel ripped off seeing a movie No such thing as a new story, but we already knew that.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    Here is a great example of being over inspired.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...1SAPdsKtjek_XS
    Crème brûlée?

Nice.

What the Hell is going on
    Loved this one. I rank it up there with Inglorious Basterds. Especially loved the uneasy comedy routine about the pillow cases. Haven't laughed out loud at the movies in a long time.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    It was a good movie, I thought. I haven't seen a lot of Tarantino films, but Django showed his sort of dark, dry sense of humor while telling a grim tale of reality in a movie world that seemed as extraordinary as comic books seem to. It was rough to watch some of the parts, but it's well worth your time and money spent at a theatre. I don't think this movie would've impacted me so much if I was watching it at home.

It seemed fairly historically accurate, as was Tarantino's aim, however, Mandingo fighting wasn't as prevalent as Django made it seem. The whole concept comes from a novel, made into a movie, called Mandingo. While slave fights undoubtedly happened (and sick ****s like DiCaprio's character probably made money off of 'em), it wasn't nearly as deep and spectacular as Django made it out to be.

The flagrant racism didn't bug me, but as a suburban white kid, I felt like the racism shown in the movie did a good job of illustrating just how far we've come as a society.

won't you be my neighbor?
    Saw it. Very solid film, liked it a lot but didn't quite love it. Three stars (out of four).

The use of the n-word and the brutality didn't bother me. It would've been jarring and historically inaccurate if that sort of stuff WASN'T in there, sadly.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Morticus: Discreet sex? Oh hell no, I want to high-five people as I walk down the hall.

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

AM999: Romney 320 Electoral votes, Obama 218. Colorado profs' prediction model, 100% accurate since 1980.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day it blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Crème brûlée?

Nice.
    Hahahaha! Oops! That was for a different forum...

Here is maybe how his mind works:

Everything Is A Remix Kill Bill - YouTube

Born from Jorts®
    Loved it. But I can't get past DiCaprio as himself. I always just see a kid up on the screen playing a character. Christoph Waltz on the other hand... I could watch him all night (not c0de).

a few nitpicks... like the 2012 rap song coming on out of nowhere. Huh? Otherwise I really dug the music. Loved all the cameo's too incl the original "Django" Franco Nero at the bar. "The D is silent",

"yeah, I know." ;)

I'd probably see it again.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    Hahahaha! Oops! That was for a different forum...

Here is maybe how his mind works:

Everything Is A Remix Kill Bill - YouTube
    From what I understand, Thurman and Tarantino discussed this movie for several years before producing it and Pulp Fiction had a lot to do with the final chemistry. It was the "best of" all the scenes they "both" personally loved in martial arts and westerns. In this case, it was intentional.

I really love Sonny Chiba. He's one of my favourite martial arts actors and also one of the top action stars in Japan. And no one could top Go-Go Yubari [Chiaki Kuriyama]. That's another thread entirely though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast