RoadBikeReview Member

Keeping sweat from dripping into your eyewear???

Now that the weather is really starting to warm up I have a serious sweating problem & it drives me nuts when it starts dripping into my eyeglasses. It starts about one hour into my rides & I have to take my glasses off which I do not like to do. I've tried a few different headbands (the popular ones) and again they only seem to hold up for the first hour.
    Just curious if anyone has come up with a good solution?
    Some notes:
    - I have a Bell Volt helmet which is pretty well ventilated

- I buzz my hair real tight(1 clip)

It's not easy being green
    I have a bad reaction to sweat on my chest, so bad I get heat rash. My doctor suggested Certain Dri, it works. You can find it near the deodorants. It basically blocks your sweat glands. I have never used it on my head, but it might be worth a try if you sweat that much.

turtle killer.
    I sweat like a pig, especially once the temps get over 90. I've used a halo head band, and been happy with it, had to wring it out from time to time though.. right now I'm using a head sweats skull cap, that's been working out great.

AM999's Liberal Facist
    It is really dependent on the helmet and the head-pad design, IME.

I have a Limar helmet that if I sweat at all-would instantly drip into my eyes. I have an old Pneumo that doesn't drip much at all. Both are vented equally well.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dysfunction
    I sweat like a pig, especially once the temps get over 90. I've used a halo head band, and been happy with it, had to wring it out from time to time though.. right now I'm using a head sweats skull cap, that's been working out great.
    I've been using the HeadSweats skull cap for two years. So far it works the best out of them all but still have this problem

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    I have a bad reaction to sweat on my chest, so bad I get heat rash. My doctor suggested Certain Dri, it works. You can find it near the deodorants. It basically blocks your sweat glands. I have never used it on my head, but it might be worth a try if you sweat that much.
    I guess this can't hurt to try, thanks.

Festina Lente'
    Halo here too. Love that thing.
    "Late to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise." -Von Braun

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by GT554
    I guess this can't hurt to try, thanks.
    till it runs into your eyes with the sweat........
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    till it runs into your eyes with the sweat........
    Or causes all yer hair to fall out too.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

Frog Whisperer
    you mean the rest of my hair...............

I actually use a cotton bandana-do-rag which very effectively prevents ANY sweat from running in my eyes as well as preventing the camouflage style, mottled suntan on my semi balding head through the helmet holes!

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Plain ol' cycling caps work well for me. I have a headsweats hat but don't like it because the bill is too floppy and you can't flip it up if needed. I used to wear a "do rag" (no not doo rag, that would be pretty gross) on my head but whenever I would get down in the drops, it would squeeze all the sweat out into my eyes.

Shut Up And Ride!
    You could cauterize each of your sweat glands with a hot soldering iron thereby effectively blocking all of them. But then there's the smell of burning flesh. Which is worse? Burning flesh smell or sweat on the eye wear? Tough call if you ask me.

Proud luddite
    I use the Sweat Gutr, since everything else that I've tried ends up quickly being saturated and therefore effective only for a brief time. The Sweat Gutr redirects the sweat from going down the front of your face to going down the sides and back of your head. It works pretty well in keeping sweat from dripping into my sunglasses. Here's a link:

http://www.sweatgutr.com/home.html

gazing from the shadows
    You can try some sort of bandanna or head wrap... but get one with a neck flap at the back. The idea is that with that bit of the cloth flapping free, sweat should be wicked to that dryer area and evaporate, and not run down your face. At least for me, that works a lot better than a headband or a head cover that is tight to the skull all the way around.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Fecal indicator
    altho I haven't used them personally, these products get good reviews from some folks I ride with...

http://www.sweatvac.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=SV
    eff all y'all...

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by dr hoo
    You can try some sort of bandanna or head wrap... but get one with a neck flap at the back. The idea is that with that bit of the cloth flapping free, sweat should be wicked to that dryer area and evaporate, and not run down your face. At least for me, that works a lot better than a headband or a head cover that is tight to the skull all the way around.
    exactly.....it's worked for me for MANY years

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb
    I use the Sweat Gutr, since everything else that I've tried ends up quickly being saturated and therefore effective only for a brief time. The Sweat Gutr redirects the sweat from going down the front of your face to going down the sides and back of your head. It works pretty well in keeping sweat from dripping into my sunglasses. Here's a link:

http://www.sweatgutr.com/home.html
    I just ordered this thing. For $20. it's worth a try. It wont work mountain biking(the sweat will go over it easily on ruff downhills) but I could see it possibly working on the road.

Thanks for the link AZ.

waterproof*
    I've been using the sweat gut'r for many years, it works. only downside is it will leave a line / imprint in your forehead after a ride.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GT554
    I just ordered this thing. For $20. it's worth a try. It wont work mountain biking(the sweat will go over it easily on ruff downhills) but I could see it possibly working on the road.

Thanks for the link AZ.
    Sweat GUTR MTB Testimonial
    Jake Rubelt - Carmichael Training Systems, Senior Coach & Elite Cyclist

"Im a sweater. So for years I have put up either not wearing glasses during races or just not being able to see through all the sweat and tears on them. Enter GUTR into my life. Wow!!!!! There are very few things that you can buy these days to really make your riding/racing experience better. GUTR is one of them. I donít leave home without it now. It comfortably sits just below my helmet and catches all the sweat that used to pour into my eyes and on my glasses. Thank you GUTR. So this year for the Leadville 100 Mountian bike race I was ready. So for 7 hours 20 minutes not a drop of sweat hit my eyes or my glasses. That to me proves without a shadow of a doubt that if you donít have a GUTR, well here is to sweat in your eyes. Hahah."

turtle killer.
    I also have a GUTR, it does dump sweat on a bump when mountain biking, then it fills my glasses.

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by dysfunction
    I also have a GUTR, it does dump sweat on a bump when mountain biking, then it fills my glasses.
    when you put it on, make sure the middle part above your nose is slightly higher than the sides so the sweat will channel out the sides, not over the top.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007

Fittng a Sweat GUTR

Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    when you put it on, make sure the middle part above your nose is slightly higher than the sides so the sweat will channel out the sides, not over the top.
    This 2min Sweat GUTR video on You Tube may help with the fitting process as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR-VGOj8n4A