Le Misérable

Kevlar-lined pants are the awesoem

So I finally crashed a two-wheeled motorized vehicle. It was wet, there was a pedestrian, broke too hard, yada cubed...

...but I'm here mostly to give another plug to ATGATT: the kevlar pants prevented road rash on my hip and knee, the kevlar gloves kept my hand off the pavement, the Corazzo canvas and elbow protection saved (most of) my elbow and the reinforced boots made it only kinda painful that my left foot/ankle was trapped under my poor Vespa for about 30 seconds (which also served to preserve the paint job on the coque).

I'm mostly just badly bruised, with a weird little hitch in my shoulder that will probably go away.

Truth is, I'm less damaged than I was after either of my last two road bike crashes. Maybe I'll start wearing all this gear when I ride my bike............
    C'est dommage que je sois un ignorant, car je vous citerais une foule de choses ; mais je ne sais rien.

--Hugo

Living in France, le blog

Always changing.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibashii View Post
    Maybe I'll start wearing all this gear when I ride my bike............
    Only if you poast pics. Glad you were okay.

Fred the Clydesdale
    Glad to hear you are ok.

Road rash is not for sissies.
    Member of Team Collin, a group of ordinary moreons going to extraordinary levels of awesome in the fight against cancer.

Love conquers all. God is love. Jesus is love personified. Figure it out.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Yikes. Glad you're mostly ok.

I was geared up when I got hit. Summer moto jacket. Gloves. Kevlar-lined moto jeans. The only road rash I got was a little spot on my lower back where the jacket rode up. I was feeling pretty smug when the EMTs were having a tough time cutting the jeans off.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    Glad you're basically OK, nicely done. This further confirms that I'll be wrapped in kevlar if I ever get a moto.

PMC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Yep, wear your gear
    I've hit the deck or been hit 4 times on motos and always fared better than my road bikes crashes. Good gear will help a lot be it leather, kevlar, or one of the many superfabrics available.

On the wrong floor again
    Glad you're ok. I don't ride motorized bikes but I'm curious as to how hot they are to wear? Do you sweat on the coldest of days? My bulletproof vest keeps me uber-warm even when standing in the cold directing traffic.

I figure the overall weight is much different but when you're covered top to bottom you must be hot I would imagine.
    "I swear to god, if you wreck this airplane I'll help you pay the deductable but I'm not touching the yoke again"

Quote Originally Posted by Qstick333 View Post
    I just got an email from her saying..."don't worry, they were store bought. a$$hole."
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Rouge View Post
    Indeed it is. Nothing left of the horse but a sun-bleached skeleton, and still the beating goes on.

Le Misérable
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck View Post

I was geared up when I got hit. Summer moto jacket. Gloves. Kevlar-lined moto jeans. The only road rash I got was a little spot on my lower back where the jacket rode up. I was feeling pretty smug when the EMTs were having a tough time cutting the jeans off.
    Yeah, what the hell does one use to cut through kevlar??

Financially speaking, I'm glad I didn't need paramedics: the jeans are still wearable, with just a little patchable damage on the hip and knee (the kevlar is intact). They're freaking spendy. Not that I'm complaining right now, buy 150 EUR two weeks before Christmas is a meaningful sum.
    C'est dommage que je sois un ignorant, car je vous citerais une foule de choses ; mais je ne sais rien.

--Hugo

Le Misérable
    Quote Originally Posted by takl23 View Post
    Glad you're ok. I don't ride motorized bikes but I'm curious as to how hot they are to wear? Do you sweat on the coldest of days? My bulletproof vest keeps me uber-warm even when standing in the cold directing traffic.

I figure the overall weight is much different but when you're covered top to bottom you must be hot I would imagine.
    There's some great summer gear out there, with lots of mesh where padding isn't absolutely crucial and full-on vents that let the air blow right through. I also bought a 3/4 helmet last summer to wear on the hottest of days, even though it scares me a little. It was getting so hot sometimes with the full-face that I felt like I was going to pass out, and I really don't want to take the car out for two months every summer.

The coldest days, on the other hand, are butt-azz cold no matter what I'm wearing. Wind at 100+ kmh seems to cut through anything after a little while.

--Hugo

Proud luddite
    Whoa....that stuff really did its job protecting you! Glad to hear you weren't hurt too badly.

Master debator.
    Glad you're okay. I've learned the hard way too. Nowadays on the cycle I am encased in leather with armor. I don't wear kevlar jeans, but full-on leather pants with pads etc.
    I'd rather sweat my butt off than lose square inches of skin, but I've seen those that have and it ain't pretty.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Bacon!
    “To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit — ever. They’re like the Viet Cong — Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck View Post

Ain't nobody wanna see that.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by PlasticMotif View Post
    Ain't nobody wanna see that.
    No ****. Those jeans were $130.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

RoadBikeReview Member
    You must spread some rep....