Thread: Kids

RoadBikeReview Member

Kids

So my son is 14 going on 15 next month. He has to learn violin at his school which (his teacher says) he begrudgingly plays pretty well. Last December he said he wanted an electric guitar so that's what we gave him for XMAS, a Yamaha strat. He practices it sporadically with seemingly a limit of 10 minutes of concentration. Last week he borrowed his mates Les Paul and played it for a few hours.
    Yesterday he comes home with a second hand bass he had spent his pocket money on and was straight into it doing about 4 hours yesterday and nearly six today. I walked passed his room which is messy as hell with books and crap all over the floor. He was standing up, bass guitar hanging off his shoulder and playing a pretty good bass line of some nature with his eyes closed. He was only wearing a T shirt and underpants. Should we be worried?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Tone is in the underpants. You've got yourself a right proper virtuoso!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    A little something to help him along...

Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    So my son is 14 going on 15 next month. He has to learn violin at his school which (his teacher says) he begrudgingly plays pretty well. Last December he said he wanted an electric guitar so that's what we gave him for XMAS, a Yamaha strat. He practices it sporadically with seemingly a limit of 10 minutes of concentration. Last week he borrowed his mates Les Paul and played it for a few hours.
    Yesterday he comes home with a second hand bass he had spent his pocket money on and was straight into it doing about 4 hours yesterday and nearly six today. I walked passed his room which is messy as hell with books and crap all over the floor. He was standing up, bass guitar hanging off his shoulder and playing a pretty good bass line of some nature with his eyes closed. He was only wearing a T shirt and underpants. Should we be worried?
    My son is almost 3 so I still have quite a few years before that. If I think back how unhappy and frustrating were my teen years I really wish I’ve had even the tiniest interest in learning to play a musical instrument. I think he’s just pointing his energy in some direction,right or wrong one it doesn’t matter. He bought the thing out of his own money,that makes it a winner to me already.

half-fast
    No, but he will worry if he breaks a string.

You should buy him some strings, bass strings are expensive.

He’ll be fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Should I tell him that bass players never get laid? Could save him a lot of frustration.
    We are off to the music shop today, some how the nut "got cracked" last night.

Darling of The Lounge
    Get your son some Bootsy Collins shades and turn him on to Parliament and the Funkidelics.

Gotta raise 'em right!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ouch, music shop wants $100 to replace the nut. I think I will do it myself, can't be any harder than building a bicycling wheel can it? Looks like cow bone is a good stock material to start with???? Hint hint, any advice? Off to the Utube in 5,4,3,2,1...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Should I tell him that bass players never get laid?
    Obviously ur clueless. Tell that to John Taylor or Duran Duran; he got more tail than toilet seats in NYC in the 80s. It’s how u look, not what u play. Chicks don’t know or care what the hell ur playing.

half-fast
    Nuts

You can buy blanks which are close to size.

use the old one to lay out spacing.

You will need good small files and patience.

Frets.com is a good resource.

A c note might be worth it unless you are looking for the experience.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    Nuts

You can buy blanks which are close to size.

use the old one to lay out spacing.

You will need good small files and patience.

Frets.com is a good resource.

A c note might be worth it unless you are looking for the experience.
    i ordered a replacement that fits the measurements so I am hoping all I will need to do is @erhaps a minimal amount of filind or sandpapering. Buying a set of files sounds like a good idea, I have a feeler guage already. Won't be the last time we have to do it I imagine. thanks for the link.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Won't be the last time we have to do it I imagine. thanks for the link.
    It may not be the last time you have to do it but there has to be at least an equal chance it will. I don't claim to be a great player of music because I'm not but I've owned a lot of guitars and a couple basses over the years and put a lot of playing hours on all of them and I've never had to have a nut replaced on any of them.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    Ouch, music shop wants $100 to replace the nut. I think I will do it myself, can't be any harder than building a bicycling wheel can it? Looks like cow bone is a good stock material to start with???? Hint hint, any advice? Off to the Utube in 5,4,3,2,1...
    For $100 you could probably go on craigslist and pick up any number of used basses. Go ahead and try it yourself. Any new nut you put in will probably be better quality than the one that came with it.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Hold up a second, what else comes with that? In the guitar shop I used to work in, a nut replacement also included a setup and fresh strings...with a new nut, you've gotta get it cut correctly for the strings, but you can't do that without having the action (string height) set correctly as well as the intonation. $100 isn't really a bad price if that nut replacement truly does come with a complete setup.

RoadBikeReview Member
    He's made a good choice. Bass players have an easier time getting work, because lots of bands are always looking for a bass player, because everybody wants to be a guitar hero. It's like viola players in orchestra.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

RoadBikeReview Member
    he took the guitar back and got a refund. We are going bass shopping today (if he ever gets out of bed).

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Slappa da bass, mon

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    He's made a good choice. Bass players have an easier time getting work, because lots of bands are always looking for a bass player, because everybody wants to be a guitar hero. It's like viola players in orchestra.
    My thoughts exactly.

Banned forever.....or not
    Was he playing the song.."Old Time Rock n' Roll???
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    If I had this kid, I'd show him this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBcen1w6NQs

Jeff "Skunk" Baxter talks shop. I don't know sh!t about music, but think this is awesome.

One takeaway from the series: Everybody wants to be the lead, but the rhythm guitarists get the work. He'll always find steady work as a rhythm guitarist.

Not sure if that includes bassists, but musicians don't generally have trouble in the getting-laid department.