Failboat Captian

Kids bike shifter question (Platy and other shop folks get in heer)

My 6 year old boy has an 18" (wheel) bike that my sister gave us. Cheap Mongoose, but in fairly good shape. It's got a 1x7 drive train. The shifter is a grip shift that is almost impossible to shift. So I replaced that cable and lubed the derailleur this weekend, but it didn't make any difference. Cable moves very well in the housing but I can barely shift it to the larger cogs, so there is no way the boy can. So I'm thinking of converting it to an indexed thumb shifter. Is the cog spacing pretty standard on all 7 speeds? Will any 7 speed shifter work? I forget the name on the derailleur. It could possibly be a SRAM or Shimano. The bike is probably about 8 years old.
    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I find in most cases that these bikes have brake cable housing for the shift cables. Brake housing compresses under tension, where shift housing does not (or very little). So, my first suggestion would be to install shift housing on there.

The cog spacing is standard these days, but the derailleurs move differently. If you are running a SRAM rear derailleur, you need to use SRAM shifters and Shimano with Shimano.

Ditto above. Mongoose uses crappy housing on all of their bikes.

When you say "thumb shifter" are you meaning an actual thumb shifter from the old days, or do you mean a trigger shifter, ie: RapidFire?

Thumb shifter - no. It takes too much concentration for a kid. Trigger shifter, sure. Acera or Alivio triggers are around $15-$25 for the right shifter. Also check out the Shimano Revo twist shifter, which is much easier to use (for kids and older people) than the cheap twist shifters used on crappy bikes.

I would assume that it is using a stamped steel hook-type rear derailleur. Those are all the same - none of the Shimano = 2:1 and SRAM = 1:1 with those... they're all 2:1.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Failboat Captian
    Thanks guys. Yes, I should have said Rapid Fire. I'll have to look and see what it is when I get home on Wednesday (on travel). Good to know about the housing they use. I'll get some new.
    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.