Thread: Korea-GO!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013

Korea-GO!

Hoping to rough plan a trip to Korea to visit my son who is stationed at Osan AB. I really would like to spend a week there, including my travel days. Other commitments prevent any longer. So...

What to plan to do? He is 19, so all-nighters drinking soju are out. I believe he gets 3 or 4 days off in Sept sometime, so am planning for that time. Any other time to sight see I will do on my own before flying home to rejoin the rats in the race.

What should I put on my radar?

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    North Korea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Cat cafes
    Street food

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    Cat cafes
    Street food
    I think these two things are interrelated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
    What to plan to do? He is 19, so all-nighters drinking soju are out. .

What should I put on my radar?

Thanks!
    drinking age is 19 in Korea, like most countries. So not necessarily out of the question.

though I recommend drinking with food, always. Bulgogi and Soju. mayeb kimchi .. OK that is the extent of knowledge of Korean food and drink, LOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Cherry Blossoms is a 'thing' there kind of like foliage is in New England. Never been but girlfriend took pictures when she went and it was pretty impressive. I think it was around this time of year but you'll have to check on that.

Korean food is excellent.

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    Cat cafes
    Street food
    My goofy brain read that upside down and backwards:

Street cafes
    cat food

How about both at the same spot?
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    drinking age is 19 in Korea, like most countries. So not necessarily out of the question.

though I recommend drinking with food, always. Bulgogi and Soju. mayeb kimchi .. OK that is the extent of knowledge of Korean food and drink, LOL
    Drinking age for Airmen is 21 in Korea now due to problems... He just made A1C, not the type to chance blowing his career... Germany awaits next year.

Love the food, what I have tried so far in CA...

Darling of The Lounge
    Quote Originally Posted by STRANA View Post
    North Korea
    The DPRK might be visiting their southern neighbors very soon. In a hail of artillery shells and pointy bayonets.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    There is a very nice bike trail that runs nearly the length of the country - from Inchon to Pusan (those are the names used by the US military during the 1950s war). I am sure that there are other cycling facilities there as well...
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Drinking age for Airmen is 21 in Korea now due to problems... He just made A1C, not the type to chance blowing his career... Germany awaits next year.

Love the food, what I have tried so far in CA...
    Where are you planning on staying? See if your son can book you at the Dragon Hill Lodge which is at Yongsan Army garrison in Seoul. It should be cheaper and perhaps better accommodations than any comparative major hotel. The N. Seoul Tower, Mt. Namsam (and many other tourist attractions) is walking distance from what I remember. A trip to the DMZ would be a good day-trip. I regret not going there.

...and FYI for future visits anywhere around the world, he can also book week-long stays at https://www.afvclub.com. I'm surprised how many military folks don't know or take advantage of this.

P.S. How's he enjoying the watch you gave him?
    Last edited by config; 1 Week Ago at 07:50 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by config View Post
    Where are you planning on staying? See if your son can book you at the Dragon Hill Lodge which is at Yongsan Army garrison in Seoul.

...and FYI for future visits anywhere around the world, he can also book week-long stays at https://www.afvclub.com. I'm surprised how many military folks don't know or take advantage of this.

P.S. How's he enjoying the watch you gave him?
    thanks for the info! I will check out the lodge, and let him know about AFB Club! He is planning to vacation to Thailand and possibly Bali or Guam. Next stop, Germany for 2 years. He got his orders for a combat communications squadron. They just finished excercise, he was put in charge of the night crew. Makes A1C today.

Last time I spoke with him on chat, he had his watch on. He digs it, wears it all the time.

xxl
    thanks for the info! I will check out the lodge, and let him know about AFB Club! He is planning to vacation to Thailand and possibly Bali or Guam. Next stop, Germany for 2 years. He got his orders for a combat communications squadron. They just finished excercise, he was put in charge of the night crew. Makes A1C today.

Last time I spoke with him on chat, he had his watch on. He digs it, wears it all the time.
    My daughter lived in S. Korea for a year, in the Busan/Seoul metro area, so I asked her what places are worth checking out. She said the Gangnam district of Seoul (yeah, like the song) is definitely not to be missed, even if one's not a big shopper--we don't really have anything quite like it in the US. (It's also the home of the Kimchi Museum--swear to Jeebus. It's in the COEX Mall, and they give free samples of nearly a few hundred different kinds). The old city of Gyeongju is also not to be missed, it was the ancient capital, over a thousand years old, and quite beautiful.

As others have mentioned, the food is excellent (though interestingly, Italian restaurants have become quite popular with the locals), and much more accessible to Western tastes than one might think--usually not terribly spicy, and they don't use soy sauce that much.

Panmunjon (i.e., the border) is worth the trip, she said, though it's not exactly "fun"; there's an observation deck on the South Korean side, and a corresponding one on the North Korean side, and she said it's weird, looking across at people--and realizing some of them are foreigners--who would visit PRNK? One thing the tour guides will stress, because they mean it: Do NOT eff around or attempt to joke with the NK soldiers on guard across the room of the Blue House--they have absolutely NO sense of humor, and they're armed.

Cat cafes and pedi-fish manicures are a thing there, but there's so much more. The Seoul Metro system is the way to see the area around Seoul/Busan, but you'll want to take trips out to the nether regions as well.

My daughter informed me that South Koreans have a generally favorable attitude towards Americans, especially the older folks. Enjoy your trip!
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.