RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

L.L. Bean Scraps Legendary Lifetime Return Policy

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Some people were using that policy as an endless supply of boots. I think it's crazy to allow someone to wear a pair of boots for 10 years and then send them in for a return. Clarks shoes does that with their socks. I literally swapped a pair I had with a hole in it for a new pair. Doesn't seem like a viable business model to me.

I had a pair of those soft rubber Maine hiking boots when I was a kid. You could feel every rock you stepped on. Never quite understood what the appeal was.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Unfortunately there are always people that abuse the system.
    Heck, there was even a video of some lady returning a Christmas tree @ Costco during the first week on the new year and, I believe, got her money back...Don't know how some people can live with themselves.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    It got to the point where people would scour thrift stores and return those LL Bean items!
    Even the employees were sickened by the balls of people.

I know people who abuse other stores as well, basically returning appliances every year, exchanging them for new ones, just because.

Meanwhile, we bought a camp stove at EMS or REI, and saw that not only had it been used, the bottom was brown from something burning! Husband wouldn't return it, think he was afraid of being mistaken for one of THOSE people. But the store didn't seem to mind returning it to the shelves like a new item.......

Anyway, sucks that we can't have nice return policies.

RoadBikeReview Member
    stupid policy is stupid.

should've canceled it ages ago...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Proud luddite
    They probably instituted the policy when people were honest and decent. Everyone sucks now so it’s time to send the policy down the crapper with the rest of society.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    It took them long enough. Competitive Cyclist scrapped their lifetime unconditional returns once enough people essentially "rented" bikes for a full year and got all their money back.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

Non non normal
    Ultimately, the customer pays more to offset the leaches. Their return policy IMO was a major factor in their high pricing. I can't see paying two times as much for a shirt just because it says LL Bean. I can't believe Orvis and LL Bean have stayed in business.
    Last edited by bigrider; 1 Week Ago at 05:03 PM.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    Bike Nashbar used to have a lifetime return policy. There is no mention of it on their site anymore. Let me preface this by saying I agree with the LL Bean change of policy. As a mental exercise, I was wondering. If somebody bought an item when there was a lifetime return policy, should'n they still be under that policy?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by daniell View Post
    Bike Nashbar used to have a lifetime return policy. There is no mention of it on their site anymore. Let me preface this by saying I agree with the LL Bean change of policy. As a mental exercise, I was wondering. If somebody bought an item when there was a lifetime return policy, should'n they still be under that policy?
    Did you keep the receipt? Proof of date of purchase.
    Too old to ride plastic

Russian Troll Farmer
    Gee, that's too bad. I have a Maine Warden's Parka downstairs that I bought back in the mid 80's that's getting a little ragged around the cuffs......

BTW, after having that parka for 30 years, I recently bought a new one. Best parka to wear in a blizzard.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Ultimately, the customer pays more to offset the leaches. Their return policy IMO was a major factor in their high pricing. I can't see paying two times as much for a shirt just because it says LL Bean. I can't believe Orvis and LL Bean have stayed in business.
    Bean is about 3 times as large as Orvis (number of employees) and much more diverse in terms of their product line. As well they’ve had a good reputation for standing behind their products, easy shipping, and at one time didn’t charge tax if shipped out of Maine, though that’s now changed as they opened stores.

Not sure how well Orvis will weather the move to online purchasing, they’ve got an investment in brick and mortar, as well as a reputation for being “that fishing store” that might define them and slow any attempts to diversify their product line.

Beans OTOH has always been mail order via catalogs, so the move to online is easy. As well they have always had their fingers well embedded in the outdoor pie, camping, hunting, fishing, skiing, etc..... very much a Cabela’s for liberals, yuk, yuk.

Non non normal
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    Bean is about 3 times as large as Orvis (number of employees) and much more diverse in terms of their product line. As well they’ve had a good reputation for standing behind their products, easy shipping, and at one time didn’t charge tax if shipped out of Maine, though that’s now changed as they opened stores.

Not sure how well Orvis will weather the move to online purchasing, they’ve got an investment in brick and mortar, as well as a reputation for being “that fishing store” that might define them and slow any attempts to diversify their product line.

Beans OTOH has always been mail order via catalogs, so the move to online is easy. As well they have always had their fingers well embedded in the outdoor pie, camping, hunting, fishing, skiing, etc..... very much a Cabela’s for liberals, yuk, yuk.
    I still long for the original Herters. When I was a kid, my dad would order through their simple paper catalog. They had the best stuff for great prices. Some items Bean carry are real high quality. Other items are just rebadged and sold at a 50 percent markup.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    I still long for the original Herters. When I was a kid, my dad would order through their simple paper catalog. They had the best stuff for great prices. Some items Bean carry are real high quality. Other items are just rebadged and sold at a 50 percent markup.
    I have a terrific 4-6 person tent, an extraordinarily comfortable sleeping pad plus a very comfortable semi-mummy sleeping bag all from Bean. Plus a very good winter coat. Generally good stuff, some stuff not as well made as maybe 10 years ago and I’ve noticed their prices go up, so not as much value.