Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Moderatus Puisne
    Reputation: Argentius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    16,090

    Exclamation L&M Vega on Chainlove $50

    Best commuter light out there atmo.

  2. #2
    Good news everyone!
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,464
    I like the looks of those, just would prefer the Vega 200.

  3. #3
    Moderatus Puisne
    Reputation: Argentius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    16,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I like the looks of those, just would prefer the Vega 200.
    Yeah, those are, well, brighter, but $120-150...

  4. #4
    Good news everyone!
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentius
    Yeah, those are, well, brighter, but $120-150...

    Very true sir, very true. I love the cable free design. If brightness is your game Magicshines are like 75 bucks now. I guess I just have a hard time paying big bucks for low lumens these days, but then again that would probably be a perfect commuter light like you said, especially if all you really want to do is be seen.

  5. #5
    Moderatus Puisne
    Reputation: Argentius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    16,090
    Yeah, it's for a helmet light, mostly to shine at drivers, I have notice it makes a big difference.

    Magicshines sound like a GREAT deal, but, I wonder how long they would hold up in the rainy-rainy northwest!

    I've been using Sigma's Karma's for commuting, they are really nice, not too bright but last a LONG time. The battery is light, but, it is not the integrated design, I would really like that...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Very true sir, very true. I love the cable free design. If brightness is your game Magicshines are like 75 bucks now. I guess I just have a hard time paying big bucks for low lumens these days, but then again that would probably be a perfect commuter light like you said, especially if all you really want to do is be seen.

  6. #6
    Good news everyone!
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,464
    The earlier versions of the Magicshine had problems with the battery packs not being sealed well. It let water in and trashed the pack. It's an easy fix with some liquid electrical tape of Plasti-Dip. The newer version batteries are sealed better. The lighthead itself is sealed pretty well and actually decent quality. I have one on my MTB, and sometimes throw it on my road bike when I really want to be seen. After some near death experiences on Saturday I might start running it on the bars of my road bike during the day to be seen.

  7. #7
    Moderatus Puisne
    Reputation: Argentius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    16,090

    Magicshine

    That sounds promising enough, especially for the price, that I might be willing to give one a try for the winter.

    Last winter I used 2 x Sigma Karma Pro on my helmet, and 1 x Sigma PowerLED Black (Who makes these names?) on the handlebars.

    The helmet lights were enough atmo, but the handlebar light probably has ~150 lumens; in the rainy dark, it is not enough.




    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    The earlier versions of the Magicshine had problems with the battery packs not being sealed well. It let water in and trashed the pack. It's an easy fix with some liquid electrical tape of Plasti-Dip. The newer version batteries are sealed better. The lighthead itself is sealed pretty well and actually decent quality. I have one on my MTB, and sometimes throw it on my road bike when I really want to be seen. After some near death experiences on Saturday I might start running it on the bars of my road bike during the day to be seen.

  8. #8
    hit it
    Reputation: NUTT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Very true sir, very true. I love the cable free design. If brightness is your game Magicshines are like 75 bucks now.
    I'm seriously looking into a MagicShine setup for the bike I'm part-time commuting on now. The 2 lights I'm running now eat AA's like crazy & aren't all that bright.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
    But I'm not a douche. I'm awesome.

  9. #9
    Just Plain Bitter
    Reputation: rward325's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,630
    I own 2 of the Magic Shine lights and must say for under 100 dollars this light is amazing! I have the newer version and we have had zero issues. there were 3 of us on the Ride of Silence with them and everyone was asking us about them afterward. The light is well made, the battery is compact and it includes a helmet attachment these days as well. Light is rated @ 900 lumens but I wold probably bet it tests closer to 700. Either way it is freaking bright!
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

    2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

  10. #10
    Good news everyone!
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,464
    Quote Originally Posted by NUTT
    I'm seriously looking into a MagicShine setup for the bike I'm part-time commuting on now. The 2 lights I'm running now eat AA's like crazy & aren't all that bright.

    Even the lowest setting of the Magicshine will probably spank anything that runs on AAs, and it will last forever doing so. I bet you could commute all week with it set on low. I run it on high (probably around 650-700 lumens) for 3+ hours sometimes. I think it's lowest setting is around 200 lumens.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

EUROBIKE

Hot Deals

Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook