Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by mackgoo View Post
    So your in Irvine?
    Yup. Nice town, like the campus (UC Irvine).
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Fake President
    Well, upon further consideration, I'm gonna say that traffic in the City of Angels *IS* worse than the Bay Area.

Seeing the 10 and 101 during rush hour from surface streets... yechhhh. Bay Area rush hour traffic is a parking lot that moves forward painfully slowly. LA rush hour traffic at least on its worst freeways is just a very-near-static parking lot. Do. not. want.

I was also pretty surprised at how much worse/more aggressive some of the drivers were.

Yes, the Bay Area has its share of pushy douchebag drivers, absolutely no doubt there. But I would call them 'intelligent aggressive/Type A' douchey. They want to be in front of you, yes, but they don't wanna wreck up their nice ride doing it. Just waxed it, ya know.

LA, OTOH, seems to have quite a few of the 'kamikaze' variety of stupidly-aggressive driver, the kind of guy who whips 3 lanes over and winds up just inches behind the bumper of some poor guy who's driving normal. Or does the high-speed cut-off that was done with just inches to spare ('paint-scrapin'). That there aren't far more accidents/pileups is beyond me.

Thanks LA, you've put things in perspective for me. The Bay Area is bad for driving, yes, perhaps one of the worst in the nation. But you are THE worst, and there is a significant gap. Props.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates driving in LA traffic! Another thing I noticed is how bad the road conditions are for that area compared to other major cities in the US. I guess because of the traffic they don't have time to make repairs.

Off the back
    Yeah, we Californians don't get our full share of tax dollars paid into the fed coffers. This results in some pretty nice tarmac in places like Wyoming and Tennessee.

And our lives here in the SoCal revolve around traffic. Scarlett Johansen wants to meet up with me after seeing my clever post on facebook? 3PM you say? No thanks, that's right in the midst of terrible traffic to get there. I'll pass.

Hope you enjoyed your stay down yonder. That might've been me drafting you a few inches off your bumper. No matter about the thirty vehicles stacked up in front of you!

RoadBikeReview Member
    The City of Angels traffic can be challenging, but eventually peeps learn to move north across the country line to discover living alternatives.

photo rockstoretoc.jpg
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I think that picture is in LA County? If you mean Ventura, not bad though Thousand Oaks and Simi Valley/Moorpark can be a bit busy. If you mean Kern, then, yes I suppose it's pretty wide open.

scott s.

Fake President
    Well, in postscript, LA was cool... beyond the Mars Society conference (my main excuse for going) I got to see the actual Space Shuttle Endeavour at the Science Museum, checked out LACMA (I could spend all day there), and went to some comedy shows at the Upright Citizen's Brigade too. LA does have it all.

The trip back was marred a bit by an encounter at night with a surly drunk driver/road rager/idiot though, right around Salinas. He almost caused a collision via tailgating and then 'message' paint-scraping-passing. His snowflake feelings then got hurt when he got high-beamed, so he decided to slam on the brakes in front of me. Near-collision.

I also observed him do the exact same thing to someone else just a few miles further down the road. Then he turned off his headlights and exited the freeway. Weird, disturbed dude.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12