Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by idris icabod View Post
    Or what about one of the spirit optic measures? They are 35 mL but you could fill them with 25 mL of ball bearings to remove 25 mL of free liquid space and make them 10 mL per measure.
    MacGyver would approve of that one. I didn't realize you could take them apart.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by idris icabod View Post
    I'm a Ph.D. organic chemist in the pharma industry. We have loads of the Eppendorf dispensing pumps you pictured, they work great. If you want to do the dispensing on the cheap get yourself a graduated titration column. You'll need one long enough and thin enough to get accurately to 10 mL and it might be a pain to refill as you'll need the top of the liquid visible.
    I could just get a giant 100ml column, couldn't I? And titrate 10ml at time?

(Still not as easy a pushing a button...)

But possible, right?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Roar View Post
    I could just get a giant 100ml column, couldn't I? And titrate 10ml at time?

But possible, right?
    I would guess that they are 100 mL. I haven't used one in 20 years but they are usually 1 cm across so 100 mL would make them a meter long (sounds right). I wouldn't go any bigger as it'll be too clumsy to read with any accuracy (even 10 mL). They are just a glass tube with a tap at the end. You could go to a local glass blower and have one made for really cheap and put whichever stop tap system you like on it. If you did 2 cm diameter, you'd just make a load of 5 cm marks on it, perhaps you could get a 200 mL one and do 10 fills, make it 100 cm long, per fill of the column?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Roar View Post
    Get a glass blower to put a push button stop on the end of a glass column. $10 job from a local university with a glass blower. Or go really simple, get a glass tube and fit a rubber tube to teh bottom that you can squeeze as an off and on. Manually mark the 10 mL on the column.

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    How about a hand pump that dispenses the exact about you need with each cycle?https://www.uline.com/BL_8162/Plastic-Pail-Drum-Pump

In woking with various two part epoxies and resins that need to be measured precisely in order to kick off correctly I have found these to be very handy.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    That is a good idea. I would just need to find a miniature one.

Seat's not level
    Hire a professional... HTH
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

Crusty AF
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    I'm thinking some type of large clear graduated cylinder with a stopcock at the bottom. You could always make your own if you can't find one pre-made
    Add a manifold at the business end, and you could multiply the number of containers you fill per shot, say 5-10 at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

30 mpdb
    Mark your measured quantity on one container. Fill 200-500 identical containers to the top and let evaporation do its thing until your measured container hits you mark. #lazycheap

again...
    How about a rubber hose and two clamps attached to the larger container? space the two clamps so they are 10mL apart. Open top clamp to load and bottom clamp to fill.
    Some people are like Slinkies - Not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I think I am going to be best off with a pump that will allow me to just pump out a measured amount...whether I adapt a lotion dispenser or find a very very small pail type pump. Thanks for your help. I knew you guys would come up with some good options.

banned
    Sep 2016
    10ml of water weighs 10g. Got an accurate scale with a tare function?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Not really, but tediously pouring something so small and watching the scale is going to take too long and have more room for error, knocking over a bottle, etc. A one-pump shot or dose is going to be easier / faster if I can do it.

Frog Whisperer
    how much can you put in your mouth? Just spit it out into the container!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12