Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009

Lab rats and other nerds, possibly some Mcgyvers.... I have a question/challenge....

Hi there. A challenge for the lounge.... I need to measure out lots of quantities of a liquid in small amounts.

I found this, which is basically the right idea:
    Name:  dispenser.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  28.4 KB

Except I don't want to pay $200. I do not need life-or-death scientific precision.

FWIW, I am measuring quantities of about 10ml. Obviously, that is a pretty small amount to start with, so my measure has to be somewhat precise, but I do not have to be perfect on this. I could use a pipette but the thought of filling 200-500 of these by hand is not appealing.

Any ideas? Something manual would be ideal...I cannot see myself crafting some sort of electric pump or solenoid driven solution... need to KISS (and keep it reasonably cheap.)

I actually thought about something like a shot dispenser, but they are too big....

Many thanks.

ETA to add an image and ditch the non-working link...

half-fast
    liquid soap dispenser?

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I'm thinking some type of large clear graduated cylinder with a stopcock at the bottom. You could always make your own if you can't find one pre-made

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    If you could find a cheap standard cylinder that would hold exactly the amount of liquid you need - like a plastic soda bottle cap, or a bunch of plumbing endcaps - find a way to slightly adhere the caps to a board, maybe even with gum. Then submerse the board into a pan of your liquid so it's completely under the liquid and lift it out. Voila!?!?!?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Use a digital jewelry scale and pour carefully.

Master debator.
    An eye dropper?
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

a real member's member
    is this for the home manufacture of illicit drugs ... i hope?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    A syringe from the pharmacy?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I don't want to have to measure them out individually. I think that will take too long....I can do that already.

I like the lotion dispenser idea. I still need to have a measured amount, though. I wonder if I can put some sort of stopper on there so I get the right amount of liquid. Then it becomes a simpler operation. I will explore this. Thank you.

Frog Whisperer
    2 teaspoons = 9.857843ml
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    2 teaspoons = 9.857843ml
    Yes. I know. But I also don't want to be potentially measuring out 1,000 tiny teaspoons to fill 500 tiny jars.... that is what I am trying to avoid. ;-)

Trying to make this process as accurate but less tedious and quick as possible.

Unless you want to come over and help?

Master debator.
    The machine you are looking for is most likely too expensive so I think you are stuck doing it manually. If you just sit down and git er dun it's only a couple hours of actual work. You're not afraid of a little work are you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    What? And get my nails dirty?

I am still actually liking the lotion dispenser idea. A washer or something around the neck could work to limit the amt dispensed....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    You want a 10 ml disposable pipette (basically an eyedropper). The trick will be finding a vendor who sells a small enough quantity such that you're not paying $100 for a thousand of the things.

Try Cole Parmer.

Roll Out Jeremy

Paristaltic pump...

Peristaltic pump. Used for all sorts of food grade metering, chemical metering. Maybe not your best solution but there are hundreds of options out there. They are common in vending machines. They work by squeezing a tube, your product is never exposed to pump parts etc....
    https://www.amazon.com/ZJchao-Dosing.../dp/B00F9MXFFQ
    Ollie Ollie Oxen Free
    "Don't believe everything you think"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
    Peristaltic pump. Used for all sorts of food grade metering, chemical metering. Maybe not your best solution but there are hundreds of options out there. They are common in vending machines. They work by squeezing a tube, your product is never exposed to pump parts etc....
    https://www.amazon.com/ZJchao-Dosing.../dp/B00F9MXFFQ
    I like this idea. The product shown needs metering control. It could be a timer to turn the fixed voltage supply to the pump on and off for a precise time every push on your control button. These are easy to find/build based on 555 timer chips depending on your ability to do elementary electronics / kits.

Master debator.
    We use peristatlic pumps at work for such a purpose, but he indicated he didn't want a hobby project, and to buy one assembled to work as he desires is probably out of his price range. I'm also guessing that it will still require the most manual labor to place the vials to be filled and removed and stacked etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    nOOky is right - there is still going to be manual labor on the filling front.

At the moment, I'd be happy holding up a vial under some sort of dispenser, pushing a button, having it fill with the right amount, and then moving along to the next vial. I am definitely NOT up for measuring tedious amounts and pipetting them into each vial.

I think the pump idea is cool, except I would have no idea what I am doing with it...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Roar View Post
    nOOky is right - there is still going to be manual labor on the filling front.

At the moment, I'd be happy holding up a vial under some sort of dispenser, pushing a button, having it fill with the right amount, and then moving along to the next vial. I am definitely NOT up for measuring tedious amounts and pipetting them into each vial.

I think the pump idea is cool, except I would have no idea what I am doing with it...

Operate the pump manually then. With a battery for the supply, and pushbutton for on and off. Fill the vials by sight. Keep a reference one filled to 10 ml to look at.
    I would put them on a turntable, like a lazy susan, maybe 20-40 at a time. Outlet of pump above the turntable. Fill one, rotate to next, fill, until all are done. Then unload and do next batch.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    [QUOTE=Z'mer;5156818]. Fill the vials by sight.

Then why not just use a funnel without need for expensive pumps etc.?

Roll Out Jeremy
    Quote Originally Posted by Z'mer View Post
    Operate the pump manually then. With a battery for the supply, and pushbutton for on and off. Fill the vials by sight. Keep a reference one filled to 10 ml to look at.
    I would put them on a turntable, like a lazy susan, maybe 20-40 at a time. Outlet of pump above the turntable. Fill one, rotate to next, fill, until all are done. Then unload and do next batch.
    Exactly, Mount it to plywood, by a radio shack 12v power supply and a doorbell. Done.
    Ollie Ollie Oxen Free
    "Don't believe everything you think"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    The vials are black .... you can't see into them...hence the need for a pre-measured dose.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Deleted post - I just reread that the OP doesn't want to use a pipette.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Roar View Post
    The vials are black .... you can't see into them...hence the need for a pre-measured dose.
    I'm a Ph.D. organic chemist in the pharma industry. We have loads of the Eppendorf dispensing pumps you pictured, they work great. If you want to do the dispensing on the cheap get yourself a graduated titration column. You'll need one long enough and thin enough to get accurately to 10 mL and it might be a pain to refill as you'll need the top of the liquid visible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lab rats and other nerds, possibly some Mcgyvers.... I have a question/challenge....-main-qimg-c1c2f0b74a289d3cab0c3dd5416fa3cc-c.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Or what about one of the spirit optic measures? They are 35 mL but you could fill them with 25 mL of ball bearings to remove 25 mL of free liquid space and make them 10 mL per measure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lab rats and other nerds, possibly some Mcgyvers.... I have a question/challenge....-%24_58.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast