Master debator.

Lake Tahoe area.

I will be in Dayton, NV for work next week. I have the entire day Friday to spend driving around the lake sightseeing. I think we'll be able to hit Virginia City and other places like that in the evenings, so I have one full day to spare. My co-worker isn't very active, so there will be no cycling and just short hikes to see views of the lake. A boat ride would be fun.

Anybody know of any other fun things to do or hidden gems in the area?
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    The shortest route to the lake from where you are is US 50, but the drive and the view of the lake is much more spectacular if you take the Mt. Rose road (Nev. 431). There are hiking trailheads near the summit on that road. Then I'd say drive around the north end to Tahoe City. South of there, Emerald Bay is beautiful, and there are some nice short hikes in the area. From there you could head around the south end and back to Dayton via 50. It's quite a bit of driving in a day, but you'll see a lot.

I grew up in Reno and have a lot of family there, but don't get back as often as I like. We took the lake for granted, but I truly think it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

Enjoy. Virginia City is fun. The restaurant in the Gold Hill Hotel is first rate, and a really cool setting.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

Master debator.
    Thank you, that was exactly the type of advice I was looking for! We plan to get up early enough to see the sun rise, our hotel is actually in Carson City.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Thank you, that was exactly the type of advice I was looking for! We plan to get up early enough to see the sun rise, our hotel is actually in Carson City.
    It's sunSETs that western Nevada is really known for, so be sure to watch for those. (In the words of Nevada's state song, "whenever the sun at the close of day colors all the western sky, oh my heart returns to the desert gray and the mountains towering high.").

I've lived on the east coast a long time, but still, Home Means Nevada, I guess.

BTW, if you ever do get a chance to cycle there, that climb up the east side of Mt. Rose is fantastic, at least First Category by any standard.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Is your co-worker hawt?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Find your way to Reno and talk to Roland Della Santa about ordering a frame.

Della Santa custom built frames
    Too old to ride plastic

Master debator.
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Is your co-worker hawt?
    No, it will be a sausage-fest.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dayton is, well, not too pretty. That's being kind.
    Carson City has a couple good places to get a beer in the evening. Check out The Union (brewery downtown - https://www.theunioncarson.com/). It's close to the Capital building, the state museum, etc. Another funky place with good food, beer, and music is Sassafras (https://sassafrascarsoncity.com/). It's also in Carson and there's a hot springs next to it, so if you really want to ramp up that sausage fest...
    Virginia City is pretty cool, but not more than a few hours there is good.
    A nice drive to Tahoe should include Emerald Bay, which is past South Lake Tahoe, probably about an hour drive from CC.
    When in Dayton, you will be very close to another country! Check out Molossia (https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...ic-of-molossia)
    Then of course there's the world famous Moonlight Bunny Ranch, which is on the way between Dayton and Carson City.

BTW, next week is the Carson City off road (mtb) event, so some bike action coming up! (https://epicrides.com/events/carson-...d/event-guide/)

Have fun! It's a cool area overall. I'm in Reno and work in Carson City one day a week. I am pretty busy the next few weeks, but feel free to PM me if any additional info needed!

gazing from the shadows
    Must be 15 years since I have been there. It is beautiful, for sure. We mostly mtb and eat when there, but fwiw...

Drive the lake clockwise is my suggestion.

Boats aplenty out of south lake tahoe. Good for a morning excursion to break up the driving.

For low exercise views, there are gondolas (north and south iirc), or you could drive to the overlook above Incline Village (on the way to Mt Rose), which seems a popular place. Or further up if you like. Many places on the rim trail offer great views, but usually require at least a bit of hiking to get to. There are balloon trips, if you really want a morning to remember in south lake tahoe.

Lake Tahoe is one of the most beautiful places on earth, and driving around it (with breaks to do stuff) is a good day in my book. Enjoy!
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Rivers/stream will be too high for good fly fishing but still the evening caddis grab can be spectacular for those angler capable of accurate casting.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Last time I was there I rented a mountain bike and rode the Flume trail. That was definite exertion. One thing that would be fun to do is get out on the water. It really is a beautiful place. Just driving around the lake is really nice.

Master debator.
    Due to it being a working "vacation" I only got a short amount of free time. We went to Virginia City for lunch, and honestly two hours including the drive was enough time there. We drove around the lake clock-wise, took about 5 hours to do so. My job consisting of very long, hot days with a lot of physical exertion I was happy to be touristy. Some short hikes, including Eagle falls, and some time at Kings beach were enough and about all we had time for.

We did eat at Sassafras and Red's Old 395 Grill among other places. The Hampton was nice, but not close enough to walking distance if you wanted to not drive and have a beer or two. There was not much in Dayton, 1st and 10 was a very forgettable place to eat lunch. While the drive around the lake was pretty, it's not something I'll need to do again. I would like to go back and spend more time on the trails, mountain biking or trail running. The bicyclists I did see on the road didn't look too comfortable with all the card whizzing by as the shoulders are non-existent. Lots of share the road with bicycles signs though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lake Tahoe area.-35415276_2007346362611004_5072948918854090752_o.jpg   Lake Tahoe area.-35360095_2007299055949068_2537589089339703296_o.jpg   Lake Tahoe area.-35329979_2005964382749202_4322560017040408576_o.jpg