Bacon!

Lake Tahoe in the Glare of November Sun

Well, I've been really trying hard to play with my camera a little more. Since others have been posting stuff I thought I'd at least get some images up. I've been trying to create a theme of staying within about 2 hours of my house in all directions. This means 95% desert and 5% Sierra Nevada. I thought I'd start with a few of Tahoe that came from this weekend. I've got some gripes about the camera, but for the most part I guess they came out all right. The lens was a Tamron 17-50mm and my Canon 30D does not like it. The RAW images are coming out all over the place (I'll post an example below after the decent shots) and Canon's RAW software is horrible to work with. The JPEGs are consistently overexposed and blown out so that hasn't helped. Maybe it's just me . Anyway, here's a few of Tahoe. I'll try not to bore you all too much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lake Tahoe in the Glare of November Sun-img_5043.jpg   Lake Tahoe in the Glare of November Sun-img_5061.jpg   Lake Tahoe in the Glare of November Sun-img_5071.jpg   Lake Tahoe in the Glare of November Sun-img_5092.jpg   Lake Tahoe in the Glare of November Sun-img_5097.jpg  

Lake Tahoe in the Glare of November Sun-img_5111.jpg   Lake Tahoe in the Glare of November Sun-img_5135.jpg   Lake Tahoe in the Glare of November Sun-img_5147.jpg   Lake Tahoe in the Glare of November Sun-img_5197.jpg   Lake Tahoe in the Glare of November Sun-img_5212.jpg  

Lake Tahoe in the Glare of November Sun-img_5258.jpg  
    “To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit — ever. They’re like the Viet Cong — Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great shots just love Tahoe almost like a second home to me.Gglad to see that you are feeling better and able to get out there to shoot.

Ray Still

Bacon!
    I'm doing pretty good now. One more day of steroids and I'm done. Don't need to do that again though!
    “To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit — ever. They’re like the Viet Cong — Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.”

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    You got some really nice shots there, Ridge. Clean, deliberate. Big
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Very nics.....I particulrly like the rocks in the foreground.

len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Spectacular. I used to love biking up to one of the various vista points around the lake, and then sit for an hour or so. Used to drive my mt biking buddies nuts, but it was so healing.

For a big body of water, it is amazing to see it completely still like that.

I love the shot with the rocky rubble in the water...always wished that Tahoe had a fish population like Lake Tanganyika in Africa, with gin-clear water like that it would be a stellar way to view them.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Ah photographs, I like photographs!

1 A nice overview but too far away from anything-a photo any tourist could take.
    2 Point the camera down a little more dammit!
    3 There is a foreground, now we are getting somewhere!
    4 Horizon is too close to the center of the frame.
    5 Nothing there.
    6 Nice but point the camera down a little more so there is more foreground and no sky above the trees on the right.
    7 Ohhhhh. But what is with all that nothing sky taking up more than a third of the frame? Point that camera down boy, point that camera down (or crop)!
    8 Got your horizon centered again and it is too contrasty. Get closer to those nice rocks.
    9 Not bad although it might be too contrasty. I like a small crop from both sides to remove the stuff on the edges.
    10 Crop tighter on the cabin.
    11 Different and nice but you split your frame in half.

I'd say you have two or three to put in the "Keeper" file. Can you get back there at dawn or dusk?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Bacon!
    Thanks for all the advice MB. My neck seems to be stuck in the horizontal pretty badly. I'll work on getting more foreground, less frame 1/2ing, and work on the contrast. The cabin shot I can clean up a little and have a couple of more of them. I'll look 'em over. I really need to get down there later in the day or early morning. The first part is easy but the second half was a long scramble along broken and round rocks. Makes for a good workout. I don't know why I get so transfixed on the boring skies. Must be a mental block. I'm going to have to really concentrate on looking at what's right before me. I do wish I had had some kind of decent sky and the light was very contrasty to say the least. I left about 3:00PM just as the light was getting better. Probably not a good decision. The other problem was the white rocks. The camera was either blowing out the shots or making everything look like midnight. The few I got that were a "little" bit better were shot manually. Oh well, I live close enough to the lake that I can definitely keep going back and trying again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm straining my eyes to see if the mountains in the background are clear enough to ride my MTB up there this weekend.

Noice.

jps

Bacon!
    Riding should be very, very good. Some snow in the shadows at 8,000+ but that's it. Trails have had rain and snow so are nice and packed. Temps will be in the 40's though so dress warm. Best time to ride Tahoe all year and virtually no other riders other than locals.

Alien Musician
    Stunningly amazing. Me likey.
    my music is online at aliensporebomb dot com yes indeed.
    my twitter for those bored: http://www.twitter.com/aliensporebomb

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Nice, I like the picture of your crib. Must get cold in the winter though.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgetop
    .... I left about 3:00PM just as the light was getting better. Probably not a good decision. The other problem was the white rocks. The camera was either blowing out the shots or making everything look like midnight. The few I got that were a "little" bit better were shot manually. Oh well, I live close enough to the lake that I can definitely keep going back and trying again.
    The camera takes images, a photographer takes pictures. Don't let the camera rule you.

BTW outdoor photography is all about the light. Great light gives the opportunity to get great pictures (it doesn't guarantee anything though).

Notice how Ray takes really interesting images down in the bottom of dark canyons? He uses the light.

Notice how I take great landscapes of DC? I use the light.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Bacon!
    I think a lot of it is going to be practice, practice, practice. I've hit about 5 locations around the area over the past two weeks and shot something like 1200 shots (! Yikes) of which 1150 are probably trash. But, I'm mainly trying to learn the camera, the lens, and how the lighting is affecting the shots. I've also shot about 50 in HDR just for the fun of it when the skies were blowing out even with a ND grad filter. A couple came out not looking too much like a typical HDR. Most were tossed. I'm having fun if nothing else.

Captain Obvious
    nice pics of a great area. if i didn't spend time in the lounge, i'd think they are great, but i have to agree with MB1 (yeah, hard decision right). just too much sky. it's a waste when the scenery is so beautiful. i think the second pic would be awesome if the lens was just aimed several degrees lower to pic up more area in front of the water.
    And it just hurts in the very best way possible without a high priced dominatrix.---Ronsonic

I'm pretty confident that I've pissed off several dozen random strangers on the internet tonight.---Creakyknees

disclaimer---I make sh!t up as I go along.

Lemur-ing
    Well, whatever MB1 says, I think they're really nice.

I just keep wondering how you guys take all these wonderful photos. I'm either never in a good location or just don't know how or both. Yeap, both.
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

Lemur-ing
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    The camera takes images, a photographer takes pictures. Don't let the camera rule you.

BTW outdoor photography is all about the light. Great light gives the opportunity to get great pictures (it doesn't guarantee anything though).

Notice how Ray takes really interesting images down in the bottom of dark canyons? He uses the light.

Notice how I take great landscapes of DC? I use the light.

So, how do I use the light? I have absolutely no clue.
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

Bacon!
    I think he's referring to timing, camera settings, where you decide to shoot, manual settings, etc. There's a whole lot to it but MB can explain it a lot better than I can.