remodeling...me

Laptop SLEEVE advice

Hello all,
    I need help, I am not looking for a laptop bookbag or briefacase just a padded sleeve to put in whatever bag I happen to be using.
    I looked at the Neoprene ones and they didn't seem to have a lot of shock absorption, what other options are there or is the Neoprene good?

Thanks in advance.
    Zeytin

"Wow, Alex...way to pee in the guy's Wheaties..." ~Opus51569

AYHCSMB etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeytin
    Hello all,
    I need help, I am not looking for a laptop bookbag or briefacase just a padded sleeve to put in whatever bag I happen to be using.
    I looked at the Neoprene ones and they didn't seem to have a lot of shock absorption, what other options are there or is the Neoprene good?

Thanks in advance.
    i have used a body glove neoprene case, it took some abuse and protected the laptop well. this was ten years ago, though.
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

RoadBikeReview Member

These are kinda spendy, but nice

I came across them looking for a backpack-type laptop bag.

http://www.booqbags.com/Search.bok?category=Sleeves

RoadBikeReview Member
    I got this one for my Thinkpad:

http://shinza.com/product_info.php?products_id=45

I just huck it in my messenger back and don't worry about it.

Bickety bam!
    Jun 2004

Timbuk2

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski
    I got this one for my Thinkpad:

http://shinza.com/product_info.php?products_id=45

I just huck it in my messenger back and don't worry about it.
    I'm a big fan of Timbuk2. I have one of these, and it works pretty good far as I can tell.

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/retail/ca...?categoryId=35

RoadBikeReview Member
    Tumi has a few laptop sleeves for different sized computers so you can get one that fits particular computers well. Their web site will ask you for your computer model to get the right size. They have zipper tops, good pading on all four sides as well as bottom and top and a outside pocket for sliding some paperwork, files or disks into. Mine is well made with strong material and has taken a few years of abuse with no appreciable signs of wear. It protects my computer extremely well. The Tumi luggage and carrying cases I have are all extremely well made and well worth the cost.
    "We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free" Bill Hicks

In need of sock puppet
    I've used the neoprene cases before and they work fine as long as you don't drop or hit it when the lappy's tucked inside. I've also used the sturdier Tumi type bag and dropped it about 18" while on a plane and broken the cathode tube that lights up the display. That was tres expensive to fix in the day of $5000+ laptops. Currently, I'm using a backpack style bag for my lightweight widescreen Sony Vaio. It travels really well, is small enough to fit just about anywhere, and has rollers so I don't compress discs totting around an airport or tradeshow floor. As a backpack, I've carried it on my back, on the motorcycle with no issues.

I think the key for me has been to move towards a slim, ultralight (under 3 pounds) laptop. It seems less prone to damnaging itself by jostling it around than an old school heavy weight 8 to 10 pounder.

The Original and The Best

Tom Bihn - Brain Cell

I've used a Brain Cell from Tom Bihn for 4+ years and it is great. I have a really bad habit of putting my laptop on the passenger seat (in the case) and then braking suddenly. It has gone flying into the dashboard and onto the car floor more times than I care to remember.

Tom Bihn - Brain Cell

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkcooper
    I've used the neoprene cases before and they work fine as long as you don't drop or hit it when the lappy's tucked inside. I've also used the sturdier Tumi type bag and dropped it about 18" while on a plane and broken the cathode tube that lights up the display. That was tres expensive to fix in the day of $5000+ laptops. Currently, I'm using a backpack style bag for my lightweight widescreen Sony Vaio. It travels really well, is small enough to fit just about anywhere, and has rollers so I don't compress discs totting around an airport or tradeshow floor. As a backpack, I've carried it on my back, on the motorcycle with no issues.

I think the key for me has been to move towards a slim, ultralight (under 3 pounds) laptop. It seems less prone to damnaging itself by jostling it around than an old school heavy weight 8 to 10 pounder.
    Did you have the Tumi with the velco closing on top or the zipper? The zipper one has better padding. Mine also has a strap inside that keeps the computer suspended off the bottom and top of the sleeve to help protect it from impacts. I've dropped my Powerbook G4 in just the sleeve a couple of times with no problems. With just using any padded sleeve you really shouldn't be dropping them anyway though. I usually have mine in a sleeve in a briefcase or in a Tumi roll away. Having the sleeve is good for things like just tossing it in the car to take the computer and a few papers to a meeting or laying it on the floor of an airplane.
    Last edited by axolot1; 01-06-2006 at 04:53 PM.
    "We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free" Bill Hicks

RoadBikeReview Member
    I got one from Ameritrade that may fit the bill. It is made by Ogio. It has a single compartment that fits a notebook/laptop and that's it. Zips all around and has a velcro inner strap to hold the laptop secure. It is more rigid than neoprene and has a nylon outer shell. It fits nicely in my briefcase. You may have to do a bit of hunting around.
    Just because I understand doesn't mean I care!
    - From my beer koozie

Anti-Americanism is the principle zeitgeist of our times.

- the rydster

Sometimes your answer is as simple as looking down and noticing your own feet for the first time.
    - Snakebit

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hey there's one available on Ebay. The pic doesn't do it justice ;)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ogio-com-nylon-l...QQcmdZViewItem
    Just because I understand doesn't mean I care!
    - From my beer koozie

Anti-Americanism is the principle zeitgeist of our times.

- the rydster

Sometimes your answer is as simple as looking down and noticing your own feet for the first time.
    - Snakebit

Misfit Toy
    I use this one by Eagle Creek - hauled my boat anchor...er laptop to Maui and back.
    Last edited by snapdragen; 11-10-2010 at 06:17 PM.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

Off the back

Spire is great

Hello all,

Thanks in advance.
    http://www.spireusa.com/

They have great selection of sizes for many configurations. I've had mine for 2 years and zero complaints. Works great in panniers for commuting, so, IMHO, protects well.
    |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\ ||
    | B u d w e i s e r | ||'""|""\__,_
    |_____________ l ||__|__|___|)
    |(@(@)""""""""**|(@)(@)***|(@)

remodeling...me
    Thank you all for so many responses; this is a great list for me to check out.
    Zeytin

Under A Glass Moon
    Tumi bags are ultra expensive but IMHO the best on the market, especially if you travel extensively for work. I've used mine for over 4 years and it's worth every penny I paid.

I even once had to reclaim it from an overzealous (read: supercilious a-hole) partner who assumed that everything in the office, and by extension everything the staff had with them on their desks, was firm property and therefore his. He just dumped the stuff out and was walking away with it when I came back to my cubicle. I had to complain to HR who actually demanded proof that the bag was mine and not firm-issued property. Fortunately Tumi's customer service is awesome, and providing them the bag's registration number yielded a fax confirming I purchased it and on what date (before I began working for these clowns). I got the bag back, and he wasn't even given a warning about this.

Anyway, if you get a Tumi laptop bag you will not be disappointed.
    Last edited by cpuffe; 01-07-2006 at 10:59 AM.

remodeling...me
    Quote Originally Posted by cpuffe
    Tumi bags are ultra expensive but IMHO the best on the market, especially if you travel extensively for work. I've used mine for over 4 years and it's worth every penny I paid.

I even once had to reclaim it from an overzealous (read: supercilious a-hole) partner who assumed that everything in the office, and by extension everything the staff had with them on their desks, was firm property and therefore his. He just dumped the stuff out and was walking away with it when I came back to my cubicle. I had to complain to HR who actually demanded proof that the bag was mine and not firm-issued property. Fortunately Tumi's customer service is awesome, and providing them the bag's registration number yielded a fax confirming I purchased it and on what date (before I began working for these clowns). I got the bag back, and he wasn't even given a warning about this.

Anyway, if you get a Tumi laptop bag you will not be disappointed.
    Man that is nuts!! I don't use the word hate alot but I HATE people like that. People who think the whole world is there to serve them. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr glad you were able to shove it in their faces, that had to feel good.
    Zeytin

AYHCSMB etc.
    Man that is nuts!! I don't use the word hate alot but I HATE people like that. People who think the whole world is there to serve them. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr glad you were able to shove it in their faces, that had to feel good.
    try working for a "big five" accounting/professional services firm. they all think they own the entire f*cking world.

bene's were great, pay rocked, but after two years, that was all i could do.
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

remodeling...me
    Quote Originally Posted by haiku d'etat
    try working for a "big five" accounting/professional services firm. they all think they own the entire f*cking world.

bene's were great, pay rocked, but after two years, that was all i could do.
    I worked in Hospitality for many years and at the end of that 7 years for hotels as a concierge; most of the guests that walked in the door thought they owned eveything and we were nothing. The thing that made it decent work were the ones that realized I was there to help not serve. ;)
    Zeytin

AYHCSMB etc.
    I worked in Hospitality for many years and at the end of that 7 years for hotels as a concierge; most of the guests that walked in the door thought they owned eveything and we were nothing. The thing that made it decent work were the ones that realized I was there to help not serve. ;)
    i waited tables and managed places for years. the ones that made my job a joy were those who stayed home.