Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spicy Dumpling

LED Light overkill.

One of my little side hobbies is LED lighting, this guy has taken it to a new level. It's strong enough to melt a CD case. One for the helmet and one for the bars would be great. Carrying the battery wouldn't be that easy. We wouldn't need to blind drivers that cut us off, we could melt them.

100W LED
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LED Light overkill.-led100wcar.jpg  
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Gruntled
    LEDs - they're not just for 1970s digital watches any more!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    It's funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's hilarious.

Lemur-ing
    But will they add weight? Are they carbon fiber? Will it change the C.G. of my bike and affect handling?
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

RoadBikeReview Member
    How much can it bench?

Is not a clown car
    Why do you hate Trek?
    Disclaimer: I sell ::Singulars:: and write a :blog:
    ::Pictures::

Captain Obvious
    you have a lot of hobbies.
    And it just hurts in the very best way possible without a high priced dominatrix.---Ronsonic

I'm pretty confident that I've pissed off several dozen random strangers on the internet tonight.---Creakyknees

disclaimer---I make sh!t up as I go along.

It's not TOO Cold!
    Quote Originally Posted by tomk96
    you have a lot of hobbies.

You have kids, you don't understand!

"Yeah, but you dont have kids"
    the old days
    “Some truths are eternal, you can’t go high on a prop!” - BBC Commentator, France @ England 6 Nations Rugby. 02/26/2011

waterproof*
    I have a theory about lights. Totally untested of course, so I guess that makes it a hypothesis? Or is it just a musing?

Anyway, bike lights, no matter how bright, are tiny little things. I wonder if they'de be more effective / visible if they were a relatively large disc, like a big round car headlight?
    * not actually a Rock Star

Lemur-ing
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    I have a theory about lights. Totally untested of course, so I guess that makes it a hypothesis? Or is it just a musing?

Anyway, bike lights, no matter how bright, are tiny little things. I wonder if they'de be more effective / visible if they were a relatively large disc, like a big round car headlight?
    Possible, but it's also only as good as the next idiotic driver who half watches the road when he stops texting.
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

Knives, Guns, and Booze
    I had seen those multi-emitter LED modules on eBay but never could think of a way to dissipate the heat generated by them in an application for use as a bike light. This guy clearly is nuts, and that is good. He is pushing 7,000 lumens, whereas the brightest light setup I’ve made is around 700 lumens. I approve of the insanity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA
    One of my little side hobbies is LED lighting, this guy has taken it to a new level. It's strong enough to melt a CD case. One for the helmet and one for the bars would be great. Carrying the battery wouldn't be that easy. We wouldn't need to blind drivers that cut us off, we could melt them.

100W LED
    That's a whole different level, that is beyond bright.

Spicy Dumpling
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    I had seen those multi-emitter LED modules on eBay but never could think of a way to dissipate the heat generated by them in an application for use as a bike light. This guy clearly is nuts, and that is good. He is pushing 7,000 lumens, whereas the brightest light setup I’ve made is around 700 lumens. I approve of the insanity.
    Oh gawsh, another homebuiler! I finished my 3*Seoul P4 light a few weeks ago. Less than 80 bucks for a 600+ lumen light.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Knives, Guns, and Booze
    Oh gawsh, another homebuiler! I finished my 3*Seoul P4 light a few weeks ago. Less than 80 bucks for a 600+ lumen light.
    I am going to be bringing all my built-up home-made light setups to the CampCoop gathering this coming weekend so that people can see, first-hand, just how inexplicably bright they are, as there are still many skeptical people out there. Maybe, just maybe, since I am freshly unemployed, someone may want to buy one or more of the setups I have built—I’m not looking necessarily to make money above and beyond the cost of materials (unlike the mass-produced lights out there), rather, I am an honest guy and have been making honest products, that quite honestly are bright, durable, and affordable.

Spicy Dumpling
    I am going to be bringing all my built-up home-made light setups to the CampCoop gathering this coming weekend so that people can see, first-hand, just how inexplicably bright they are, as there are still many skeptical people out there. Maybe, just maybe, since I am freshly unemployed, someone may want to buy one or more of the setups I have built—I’m not looking necessarily to make money above and beyond the cost of materials (unlike the mass-produced lights out there), rather, I am an honest guy and have been making honest products, that quite honestly are bright, durable, and affordable.
    I've considered doing the same thing myself. LED's are definitely the way to go. I'm using a modified version of the 'Achesalot' seen on MTBR. It blows my dual dinotte 200L system away for about 1/4 the cost. I think I've got a system for building them pretty easily. Too bad I won't be out there for the ride. Maybe I'll poast a couple shots of my creation and you can do the same.

Adventure Seeker
    The color temp of that LED seems too blue. I wonder if there are any that have a more natural white? That would be more visible from distance.
    I have a single track mind

Knives, Guns, and Booze
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanya
    The color temp of that LED seems too blue. I wonder if there are any that have a more natural white? That would be more visible from distance.
    Yes. Yes. The beautiful thing about LEDs is that you can get the colour temperature as you wish. Cool white, “neutral” white, and warm white, in varying degrees of “warm” and “white”, in terms of colour temperature (Kelvin), thanks to modern binning of LEDs. Generally, the bluer LEDs are more cost-effective, since more expensive phosphors are required to get that awsomeness-factor of “warm” light that only incandescents were thought to be able to get before the LED revolution came along. What this means is that let’s say hypothetically you want 600 lumens of light output-- the blueish spectrum would cost you (hypothetically) $22, the neutral white would cost you $30, and the warm white would cost you $48 or more--it seems as though all white LEDs are really blue LEDs with a special phosphor coating, the “warmer” colour emitting phosphors are more cost-prohibitive per lumen of light output.
    Last edited by Leopold Porkstacker; 04-20-2009 at 10:02 PM.

Knives, Guns, and Booze
    I've considered doing the same thing myself. LED's are definitely the way to go. I'm using a modified version of the 'Achesalot' seen on MTBR. It blows my dual dinotte 200L system away for about 1/4 the cost. I think I've got a system for building them pretty easily. Too bad I won't be out there for the ride. Maybe I'll poast a couple shots of my creation and you can do the same.
    For sure! My latest creation is actually a red LED taillight setup that utilises a single 1000mA 3021 BuckPuck controller running two 10W 9-emitter red LEDs in series. I honestly don’t know what the lumen output is, but it pretty much is a “light cannon”, even in daylight. I came up with the idea for “extra-safe daytime riding” overkill safety considerations in mind, so as to distract the average SUV-driving cellphone-talking otherwise-oblivious driver here on SF/SJ Bay Area roads. So far, it seems as though I am quite visible in broad daylight. Total cost (excluding 14.8V 4400mAh Li-ion battery pack) is around $40, and I would wager high high high dollars that it is brighter than ANY mass-produced “brightest” bicycle tail light out there. I need to find a way to photograph just how bright it is; it is exponentially brighter than my single 190-lumen LXHL-LH3C red LED fed via two parallel-wired 700mA 3021 BuckPucks (1400mA current total) on only 1000mA. I know, I know, “show us pictures, Dr. Storkpacker, Sir!”.

Soon. Soon.

Adventure Seeker
    Yes. Yes. The beautiful thing about LEDs is that you can get the colour temperature as you wish. Cool white, “neutral” white, and warm white, in varying degrees of “warm” and “white”, in terms of colour temperature (Kelvin), thanks to modern binning of LEDs. Generally, the bluer LEDs are more cost-effective, since more expensive phosphors are required to get that awsomeness-factor of “warm” light that only incandescents were thought to be able to get before the LED revolution came along. What this means is that let’s say hypothetically you want 600 lumens of light output-- the blueish spectrum would cost you (hypothetically) $22, the neutral white would cost you $30, and the warm white would cost you $48 or more--it seems as though all white LEDs are really blue LEDs with a special phosphor coating, the “warmer” colour emitting phosphors are more cost-prohibitive per lumen of light output.
    I always get color tempurature in light bulbs wrong. I know that for TV's, 6500 is the goal to have a "pure" white. However, 6500 in a light bulb usually looks too yellow (if I remember right) I really like the output of Halogens. Get a LED like that, and I'll be happy
    I have a single track mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    get a mac

Spicy Dumpling
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolo Grubb
    get a mac
    Got one noob!!

Get an LED..

Roadie with unshaven legs
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanya
    I always get color tempurature in light bulbs wrong. I know that for TV's, 6500 is the goal to have a "pure" white. However, 6500 in a light bulb usually looks too yellow (if I remember right) I really like the output of Halogens. Get a LED like that, and I'll be happy
    I think 4300 K is what you are looking for.

Leopold Porkstacker, we need more info!!! I was thinking of doing something like this as well. I have a miniature mill and am not afraid to use it but I'm not so good on the electronics side of things.

Spicy Dumpling
    Quote Originally Posted by Squidward
    I think 4300 K is what you are looking for.

Leopold Porkstacker, we need more info!!! I was thinking of doing something like this as well. I have a miniature mill and am not afraid to use it but I'm not so good on the electronics side of things.
    Good starting point for DIY LED lights is www.bikeled.org. Mine is a modified SSCP4 triple like on his page. I found a way to cut the aluminum parts with a mitre saw that makes the amount of filing almost nothing. I'll try to post a description of mine if you are interested.

Alien Musician
    I thought my HID at 725 lumen was nuts, this guy is MY kind of insane person.

I'll take two.

But to dissapate the heat? I'd need a cooling tank.
    my music is online at aliensporebomb dot com yes indeed.
    my twitter for those bored: http://www.twitter.com/aliensporebomb

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    I am intrigued by your ideas, and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

//though as I'm also recently unemployed, I can't promise to buy anything.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

RoadBikeReview Member
    PM me, I'd love to see your setup. What voltage / batteries?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast