Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Led Zeppelin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003

Led Zeppelin

Does Zeppelin not seem so much to you like a band, but something else? Kind of a mystical entity that produces music. When I think of the Stones, CCR, The Who, CSNY, etc.(by the way, I'm a classic rock guy), I think of bands, a group of dudes playing some instruments and singing, albeit very well. But when I hear Zeppelin, they're something different. I don't know, hard to describe. They're in another dimension or something...kind of weird.

Stumpcake!
    "In Through The Out Door"

NTTAWWT

"Indecision may or may not be my problem."

RoadBikeReview Member
    I kinda feel the same way, but I always assumed it was the massive amount of acid and weed me and my friends took while listening to them.

RIP Funny Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by filly
    Does Zeppelin not seem so much to you like a band, but something else? Kind of a mystical entity that produces music. When I think of the Stones, CCR, The Who, CSNY, etc.(by the way, I'm a classic rock guy), I think of bands, a group of dudes playing some instruments and singing, albeit very well. But when I hear Zeppelin, they're something different. I don't know, hard to describe. They're in another dimension or something...kind of weird.
    When I think of Zepplin...I think of that mystical entity that compelled them to steal the original ideas of others and pass it off as their own.

The description would be plagarism and the dimension would be thieves.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I saw them a couple times, very early on, in fairly small venues. They were a band. A very good one.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I always recognized them as a great band, but i never grasped why they were necessarily in higher regard than lesser mortals like ACDC or Styx or or a dozen or so other bands. The deity quality i never got.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmig19
    The deity quality i never got.
    that's the thing. that concept was never pushed on me or anything. i'm young at 33, and i started listening to them in junior high or thereabouts. i just naturally felt that way. their music is "different."

Genitive Declensioner
    mortals like ACDC or Styx
    39seconds in:
    Big Fan of the Callipygian Way
    "The collards tore my wife's stomach up and with her being pregnant and constipated it made for a smelly ride to the cabin in north Georgia." -gut
    "The term "steeping" brings to mind "tea-bagging" and, on far too many levels, I'm simply not comfortable with that." -antonio_b
    "People think maggots are a bad thing, but I'll bet they ate most of the feces he has been sitting in for the last two years. Go maggots! -Mohair

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    I always recognized them as a great band, but i never grasped why they were necessarily in higher regard than lesser mortals like ACDC or Styx or or a dozen or so other bands. The deity quality i never got.
    Zeppelin definitely had a mystical, almost sort of Lord of the Rings/Middle Ages feel to a lot of their work. A sort of yearning for the simpler times of the past.

I dare say you don't quite get that from "Back in Black".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    i do loves me some ac/dc. the intro to "for those about to rock..." is schweet!

Low rep power
    Quote Originally Posted by captain-ahab
    I kinda feel the same way, but I always assumed it was the massive amount of acid and weed me and my friends took while listening to them.
    I always thought that was just part of the appreciation process

RoadBikeReview Member

Red face Back away....

Set down the bong, slowwwwww-ly. Don't spill it. Now back away....
    "The mouse with the overbite explained/how the rabbits were ensnared/ and the skinny scanty sylph/ trashed the apothecary diplomat/ inside the three-eyed monkey/ within inches of his toaster-oven life."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    i do loves me some ac/dc. the intro to "for those about to rock..." is schweet!
    I do too. They're a good heavy rock band (with almost laughable lyrics) but they're not Zeppelin.

Zeppelin belongs up there with the Beatles & Pink Floyd as nearly unique entities in the history of modern music.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Big-foot
    Set down the bong, slowwwwww-ly. Don't spill it. Now back away....
    if only you knew how diametrically opposed my current "realm" at 2 o'clock on a tuesday afternoon is to your scenario.

i'm an intelligence officer in the navy, in uniform, on base in norfolk, va, engaged in rewriting the us navy's doctrinal publication on intelligence support to naval operations.

of course, i'm taking a "break" from that right now...

carry on

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    They are way too kick arse blues based for me to use words like 'mystical'. That has Dungeons & Dragon playing Harry Potter reading nerdism connotations to it. Save that talk for the Moody Blues or ELP. yeah yeah, there's Stairway and In the Evening ect which has a bit of a mystical sound to it. But that's Led Zepplin for girls.

They're definitely on their own planet as far as great rock goes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Led Zeppelin brought rock music to a whole new level and very few bands have been able to come even close.

Non non normal
    I was never a big Zeppelin fan. What got old for me was some skinny guy with his shirt open, gyrating like he should have been pole dancing and screaming like he had his nuts in a vice.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    my first 3 cd purchases back in jr high were pearl jam (ten), nirvana (nevermind), and i saved up about 80 bones and bought the 10-cd zeppelin box set.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider
    I was never a big Zeppelin fan. What got old for me was some skinny guy with his shirt open, gyrating like he should have been pole dancing and screaming like he had his nuts in a vice.
    i had the luxury of being born too late and not seeing said gyrating in person.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Stamper
    They are way too kick arse blues based...
    Yeah for their first two albums and then?

Like saying the Beatles were just a pop band because of their early albums.

jd3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I saw them in Memphis in 1970. Caught a drumstick at the end of the show, I have no idea what I ever did with.
    “You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails.” – Albert Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush
    When I think of Zepplin...I think of that mystical entity that compelled them to steal the original ideas of others and pass it off as their own.

The description would be plagarism and the dimension would be thieves.
    I always take Zeppelin with a grain of salt. The ****ing rocked. They did. They also were one of the least original bands ever though. They may have stolen, but they performed better than anyone else.

Robert Plant needs to quit trying to bone Alison Krauss and do the reunion tour with the rest of the band + Bonham's awesome drummer son.

Back from the dead
    I was never really a Zeppelin fan. They always seemed way too pretentious to me, and not all that original, either. I like some of their songs, but overall, they just don't click with me.

I do remember the day in 1977 when one of my 7th grade classmates brought in a Led Zeppelin album to play for the class. The teacher had invited us to bring in records. The guy played Black Dog. We got about 7 seconds into the song before the teacher cut it off and music sharing time was over. Forever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah, I still dont get it. If its mystical you desire there are several bands that do concept albums that blow Zep away. Talent wise, they are great, but again some bands are at least as good. What makes them better than the Who? Ive made the argument to death, but Rush has much better concept-weirdo stuff and has the same number of commercially successful songs. Although STHeaven always wins the best song ever on this top 500 songs thing they do every memorial day so its hard to compete with that. I think Zep gets some added mileage out of a cool name, the song STH, and a dead drummer, that makes them a little bit special in their fans eyes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast