Thread: Leo does Doc

RoadBikeReview Member

Leo does Doc

Just ran across this. A definite must see for Leo Kottke fans. Leo doing Doc Watson's arrangement of "Deep River Blues." One of the first finger-picked tunes I learned. Somehow Leo does a bit more with it than I ever did. Leo and Doc have crossed paths on a number of occasions, and this is a nice tip of the hat. Check out those 'solos.'

That boy just ain't right.

Frog Whisperer
    I've always loved Leo Kottke's music and guitar work but I have honestly never seen him play, either live or video...frankly I was kind of surprised that he only has two hands and 10 fingers!
    The guy is just a wizard with a guitar.. Thanks for posting that.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    And he's playing it on a twelve string too!

Frog Whisperer
    I saw Doc and Merle at a bluegrass festival back in the mid 70's in West Virginia....what a great weekend for music that was...............

RoadBikeReview Member
    And he's playing it on a twelve string too!
    Yeah, thought you might like that part of it too. While it's in no way flashy, as a guitarist who knows the tune, I just can't get my head around it. Very interesting interpretation.

I saw Doc and Merle at a bluegrass festival back in the mid 70's in West Virginia....what a great weekend for music that was...............
    Nice. I was lucky enough to see them (with bassist T. Michael Coleman) several times in 70's. Here's a brush with greatness: They were playing at the Roxy in Hollywood, and we got there very early. We walked a bit from the venue to a burger joint to get something to eat. Coleman and Doc were in line too. Pretty funny. Also we once managed to sneak in early to the Roxy (another show), watched the sound-check, and then hung out with Doc and a cute little girl he was 'watching' (clearly some relative). It was really fun..He was very gracious.

Hmmm.... actually, lot's of fun at the Roxy in the late 70's. We were standing out front (early again) to see the Dixie Dregs. Steve Morse came walking up and ask who we were in line to see. We knew who he was, but said "the Dixie Dregs" anyways. His response? "Never heard of 'em."

I've always loved Leo Kottke's music and guitar work but I have honestly never seen him play
    Definitely worth seeing if you ever get the chance. His stories, banter, etc. are worth the price of admission:

Last edited by Dr_John; 12-29-2009 at 09:31 PM.

Knives, Guns, and Booze

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_John

Definitely worth seeing if you ever get the chance. His stories, banter, etc. are worth the price of admission:
    That my friend is the difference between a good show and a great show.......
    Almost all the music I listen to regularly is lyric based.....performed by great writers and story-tellers. I first heard Kottle when I was still in high school (we are talking 1969 I believe)
    and was amazed that one person could get that much sound out of a wooden box with strings!
    I like this one....not the best version but...still:

Knives, Guns, and Booze

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like this one....not the best version but...still
    Ah, the ol' "Ron Nagle's House Party" still makes me laugh. Ice Water's definitely one of his more 'inspired' albums. The story behind "Tilt Billings" is Kottke wrote it after one of his beloved guitars was stolen, figuring he'd never sound the same. Personally I think his sound improved dramatically after he much later dropped the finger picks.

As for "Morning is the Long Way Home," the instrumental break is of course fantastic, but I guess I'm the only person that liked the lyrics/vocal part too.