hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles

Little bit of excitement n the NNC today

Rattlesnake in the road!

Timber rattler laying out in the Blue Ridge Parkway today. First time I've seen a rattle snake anywhere in the wild, much less on a bike ride.

This was on the Thunder Ridge climb, about a mile from the top. I rode past (he eyed me, looking pissed, the whole way) then stopped to get a pic. That other guy came out of a parking lot and I yelled "Rattlesnake!" A couple of times and then he stopped (way close IMO) to get a pic. I was picturing the snake deciding to come after him and him scrambling to turn his bike around and get away.

Luckily snake was gone when I came back on the descent. I was worried he would be in the middle of the road and I would have zip by within a couple of feet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Little bit of excitement n the NNC today-img_7242.jpg  

a real member's member
    pretty cool. i've seen only three, i think -- two in se new mexico and one in wa state near the columbia.

where was this one?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just another day in the desert Southwest. It can only strike half the length of it's body so the other bloke is well out of range.

I hope you killed it. I loathe snakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    Just another day in the desert Southwest. It can only strike half the length of it's body so the other bloke is well out of range.

May in Santa Fe, they were common on the trails as they would come out to sun themselves. I bunny hopped one once, on the Lamy Single Track, came around a corner and there he was, no time to stop. He was laying straight out on the trail, not curled up and was so lethargic in the sun he didn't even notice.

I believe the eastern timber rattlers are more ornery then their western cousins. Larger too.

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    pretty cool. i've seen only three, i think -- two in se new mexico and one in wa state near the columbia.

where was this one?
    In the middle of the road.
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I've run over snakes twice; their reflexes aren't fast enough to retaliate.
    Oh, and they're squishy enough that you won't crash when you run over them.

Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    I believe the eastern timber rattlers are more ornery then their western cousins. Larger too.
    a friend of mine stepped on and was bitten by a western DB...snake was startled, did not rattle, and apparently injected every drop of venom it had.

his leg required 7 operations and surgeons were considering amputation at one point.

after 5 weeks in the hospital, he got to keep the leg but lost a muscle in his calf due to necrosis.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    This is Central Virginia, Blue Ridge Parkway. I figured rattlesnake siting would be more common in the southwest, but doesn't happen much here. Copperheads are much more common and much less venomous. This guy looked to be about 4 feet long and no cell phone service and 30 miles along windy roads from the nearest hospital, 30 feet was plenty close for me.

Interestingly, last time I rode this stretch of road I saw a good size black bear.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    I was picturing the snake deciding to come after him and him scrambling to turn his bike around and get away.
    You've been watching too many movies. You're more likely to get chased by a bird that's worried you're too close to the nest than by a snake. They just want to be left alone.

Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    Yeah! And let's kill everything else anybody loathes or is afraid of. Of course, there won't be much left when that's done.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    I've run over snakes twice; their reflexes aren't fast enough to retaliate.
    Oh, and they're squishy enough that you won't crash when you run over them.
    Okay, fearing something is one thing... but you're just an azzhat.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's best, ecologically and respectfully, to leave all snakes alone.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Spicy Dumpling
    This is Central Virginia, Blue Ridge Parkway. I figured rattlesnake siting would be more common in the southwest, but doesn't happen much here. Copperheads are much more common and much less venomous. This guy looked to be about 4 feet long and no cell phone service and 30 miles along windy roads from the nearest hospital, 30 feet was plenty close for me.

Interestingly, last time I rode this stretch of road I saw a good size black bear.
    Yeah but the rattlesnakes out west are most often much smaller than our timber rattlers. We often have 6+ foot long FAT muthers around here.

I saw a documentary about venomous US snakes. The rattlesnake and cottonmouth will normally warn you and try to get away. The copperhead just gets pissed and bites.

I've only seen 3 rattlers in the wild. One crossing the trail near a campsite. The other two were coiled up near me when I ate lunch and I didn't notice they were there until I got up. They just sat there and napped. I was probably 6 feet from a big one on a rock in the New River Gorge. He never moved, just sat in the sun.

And yes, I fear bears and deer coming down thunder ridge. Not for attacks but for hitting them.

BTW... we need to ride.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by redondoaveb View Post
    In the middle of the road.
    hurr

This is Central Virginia
    good to know.

last time I rode this stretch of road I saw a good size black bear.
    jesus!
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA View Post

BTW... we need to ride.
    Yes been thinking the same thing. Need someone to suck the poison out when the snake gets me.

Spicy Dumpling
    Yes been thinking the same thing. Need someone to suck the poison out when the snake gets me.
    Depending on the location, you may die.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I was riding on Skyline Drive years ago near Front Royal and saw a dead one. Someone had hung it over a sign. It was a big fecker ... must have been six feet long. I saw a bear walking across that road once too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I saw an eastern timber rattler drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA View Post
    Depending on the location, you may die.
    90% of snakes bites are to the groin region so he should be okay. You can use antiseptic wipes for the other 10%.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by PJay View Post
    I saw an eastern timber rattler drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.
    Was his hair perfect?

FWIW, I've seen rattlesnakes DOZENS of times here in the northeast; you just have to look for them. Same with bears, foxes, coyotes, peregrine falcons, bald eagles, etc.

Just last week, a bunch of clueless suburbanites near Albany, NY were freaking out about a coyote sighting (and, as true clueless easterners, they pronounce it "kiy-OH-tee", too...). Gee, this is hardly news; coyotes are in EVERY state except Hawaii (possibly not Delaware, but that info may be outdated). I've seen them several times in the suburban outskirts of my 1 million resident city. Heck, we even get an occasional bear in the spring!

Just leave the wildlife alone.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Was his hair perfect?
    Yes! Must have been the same one.