Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

livin' the hippie lifestyle

Got two compost piles going (one is actually more of a worm farm at the moment.) Bought some ladybugs yesterday (the good kind, not the house-squatting kind) to battle the aphids.

Rode my bike to the farmers' market yesterday for some local produce. Also went to the bait shop to purchase more worms, bungeed them to the rack for the ride home. They're not the right kind (night crawlers instead of the hungry red wigglers) but the guy who sold them to me was very enthusiastic about composting. Put them in the garden.

Tried sprouting some lentils a while ago, but they got moldy, so I ditched them into the compost, where they started sprouting like crazy. They'll make good worm food. Attempting another batch now.

Sprouted some chickpeas and they were looking great.....until this morning, when I noticed white fuzz all over them Great, the worms are eating better than me. Guess I should put them away in a cool/dry spot the minute they sprout, lesson learned.

Sipping some free-trade coffee now with organic half&half while boiling up some farmers' market beans for later.

I should just put on some Grateful Dead and a tie-dye shirt, munch on granola, and make it official.

Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Got two compost piles going (one is actually more of a worm farm at the moment.) Bought some ladybugs yesterday (the good kind, not the house-squatting kind) to battle the aphids.

Rode my bike to the farmers' market yesterday for some local produce. Also went to the bait shop to purchase more worms, bungeed them to the rack for the ride home. They're not the right kind (night crawlers instead of the hungry red wigglers) but the guy who sold them to me was very enthusiastic about composting. Put them in the garden.

Tried sprouting some lentils a while ago, but they got moldy, so I ditched them into the compost, where they started sprouting like crazy. They'll make good worm food. Attempting another batch now.

Sprouted some chickpeas and they were looking great.....until this morning, when I noticed white fuzz all over them Great, the worms are eating better than me. Guess I should put them away in a cool/dry spot the minute they sprout, lesson learned.

Sipping some free-trade coffee now with organic half&half while boiling up some farmers' market beans for later.

I should just put on some Grateful Dead and a tie-dye shirt, munch on granola, and make it official.
    groovy! and far out, man...
    eff all y'all...

Ricardo Cabeza

pics of your armpits or it didn't happen
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    will report you for the pot growing

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006

hippies 60's style

Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    will report you for the pot growing
    peace! nothing wrong in living in the past at the present

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ah, I'm surprised John hasn't suggested throwing some pot seeds in the compost. The worms would be even more productive with the munchies.

Damn ladybugs are a little disorganized though. The container says there's approximately 1500 in there; today, I see about half a dozen lazing about in the aphid-free plants. I hope they're exhausted from pulling an overnighter. Relocated some of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Time to move on and upgrade to fermentation. You'll need to brush up a little on some household chemistry though.

Yours in yeast and bubbles,

Skitorski
    Only the dead shall know the end of war.

Banned forever.....or not
    A compost pile is a great place to hide your stash, man.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Roll Out Jeremy
    Ollie Ollie Oxen Free
    "Don't believe everything you think"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Huff link is nothing.
    Only the dead shall know the end of war.

banned
    Feb 2013
    Here in Washington, it's OK to grow pot in your garden.

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Congratulations, you are well on your way to becoming a doomsday prepper.

Masters Neophyte
    Birkenstocks. Don't forget the Birkenstocks!
    Capt Willard: "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger."

RoadBikeReview Member
    No Birkenstocks, but I did get some casual sandals recently. Maybe a VW bus?

Meanwhile, found more ladybugs in the daisies, they seem happy. Like little aphid Roombas, they're fun.

RoadBikeReview Member
    To make the conversion complete, be sure to wash out your bike bottles with your own urine. It's supposed to be very Gaia. So I'm told.

Cranky Old Bastard
    Meanwhile, found more ladybugs in the daisies, they seem happy. Like little aphid Roombas, they're fun.
    Thanks, best laugh so far today!
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

Pencil of death
    Hang on now. You haven't said anything to convince me you're not an urban hipster.

As a matter of fact, the fair trade coffee (not chicory) has me suspicious.

Do you have tattoos? Or decorative scars?
    Do you drink micro brews? Or craft beer?
    Do you ride a Fixie, or SS?
    Do you wear skinny jeans?
    Do you live in a city and not a commune off the grid?
    Have you ever been to a poetry slam? Or bluegrass festival?
    Do you wear vintage clothes? Or wish you could?
    "Do not argue with an idiot. He will only drag you down to his level and beat you on experience." (Twain)

"I used these numbers as an example to make a point." (AM999)

"1/2 of you are wrong and the other .5 are incorrect!" (FlynG)

"Taking crazy things seriously is a serious waste of time." (Murakami)

RoadBikeReview Member
    1) No to both
    2) Whatever beer is tasty, I like- so yes
    3) Formerly fixie, now SS (flipped the hub)
    4) Pffft if only I could!!
    5) City, but suburban part
    6) No and no
    7) No and sometimes

Don't think I'm a hipster b/c I do stuff for genuine reasons, not trendy ones. I look dorky as can be riding around town, not cool. Hence, the hippie-ish status.

Pencil of death
    1) No to both
    2) Whatever beer is tasty, I like- so yes
    3) Formerly fixie, now SS (flipped the hub)
    4) Pffft if only I could!!
    5) City, but suburban part
    6) No and no
    7) No and sometimes

Don't think I'm a hipster b/c I do stuff for genuine reasons, not trendy ones. I look dorky as can be riding around town, not cool. Hence, the hippie-ish status.
    I dunno. Admitting you look dorky is getting you a lot of hipster-nerd subtype points. :P
    "Do not argue with an idiot. He will only drag you down to his level and beat you on experience." (Twain)

"I used these numbers as an example to make a point." (AM999)

"1/2 of you are wrong and the other .5 are incorrect!" (FlynG)

"Taking crazy things seriously is a serious waste of time." (Murakami)

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    I thought somewhere the "I have stopped using soap to bathe" (or body wash or choice of cleanser) thing was going to come up

RoadBikeReview Member

livin' the hippie lifestyle

I currently have three compost piles going: the "fully cooked, currently using on garden" pile, the "almost ready, going to start using in the fall" pile, and the "work in progress" pile, to which I added yesterday by raking out the chicken coop and then mixing in the grass clippings from mowing the lawn. Yes, I'm a compost geek.

Haven't grown weed in over 20 years, though.

n00bsauce
    Not Birkenstocks, Earth Shoes!Name:  earth shoes.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  6.1 KB BTW, I had a pair.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Way to go Christine! Let your inner hippie free. Let your freak flag fly. I've been stuck in the 60s going into five decades. It's a good thing!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lentils have sprouted, woohoo! Worms are chowin' down on the fuzzy chickpeas. One ladybug was at work on my purple passion plant; the rest are snoozing together on the daisy plants, looks like they got the 'itis.

We'll see if the lentils make me sick, so far so good. Seems like you have to be kinda careful with sprouts.

Freak flag's a-flyin'.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I can almost smell the BO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast