Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sleep Expert

Lounge halp needed! NNC knee pain

About 2 weeks ago, I went on my first "long" ride of the year, a 61 mile group ride. It was cold and windy. Around 30 miles, my knees started hurting. The pain lasted for about two days. Three days later, I went on a 30 mile solo ride and experienced no pain. I rode the next day without issue either.
    This last Sunday, I did a 40 mile group ride, and the knee pain was back. It was also cold and windy, I also got rained on too. Today, I went on a solo ride of 40 miles, and was pain free. On top of that, my average speed was the highest of the season so far!
    I haven't done anything with the fit: I did swap out my saddle last year, but there's been no issues until recently. I did recently swap my bars out from a 44cm to a 40cm compact bar. I even wrapped them myself and feel I did a bang-up job.
    So, I have a question for the lounge about this: Would getting a new set of wheels help with the knee pain?
    My carbon footprint has cleats

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Huh? It sounds like a bit of over use type pain. I would invest in some embrocation?(heat gel) sp and either leg warmers or tights or knickers/covers of some type. And no I doubt that wheels will remedy knee pain.

Not Banned
    front of the knee or back?
    your new saddle might sit higher or lower than your last causing either an over extension or under extension knee issue. Also your pain is on group rides, maybe you are pushing bigger gears in the group to keep up. Mashing can cause knee pain as well.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanya View Post
    Would getting a new set of wheels help with the knee pain?
    everybody knows that roadies have no sense of humour.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

waterproof*
    also: kneewarmers below 70F

Misfit Toy
    So, I have a question for the lounge about this: Would getting a new set of wheels help with the knee pain?
    Yes..
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

Sleep Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    everybody knows that roadies have no sense of humour.
    It sure seems that way!

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    Yes..
    That's why you're my fav RBRer!

I figured the temps might have something to do with it. When I did swap out saddles, I did get a little pain right above the kneecap, so I raised it and it fixed that. This pain was on my right leg, right behind the kneecap on the left part. It was almost as if my cleats were prohibiting movement, but I know that's not the case. Even with today's workout, I mashed just about the second half of the ride without issue.

Matnlely Dregaend
    Let's hope it's your seat position. a couple of mm up or down can cause knee pain. I actually had to start using shorter cranks to limit knee flex at the top of my stroke.
    "I haven't @#&$ed like that since I was an altar boy." - Hank Moody
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Genuine Campagnolo Spares - Inserts for Dura Ace pattern brake shoes." - PBK

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Definitely. And if you can't find the perfect set of wheels, an ice cream cone should tide you over.

Non non normal
    Knee pain early in the season that feels like it is right under the kneecap is most likely overuse. I got it one year by trying to ramp up mileage in the cold, with long miles to quickly. Keep your knees warm and stay away from long rides for a few weeks.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Frog Whisperer
    Would getting a new set of wheels help with the knee pain?
    oh, absolutely.....particularly if the knee pain is being caused by your knee pain is being caused by your wallet being too heavy....so the more expensive the better!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

corning my own beef
    Note to the uninitiated: I'm not convinced that ToG is a credible source when any debate enters the realm of "pain on a bike" since most of his pain is self-inflicted because he ran into something, ran off something (like rollers), or just fell off.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Note to the uninitiated: I'm not convinced that ToG is a credible source when any debate enters the realm of "pain on a bike" since most of his pain is self-inflicted because he ran into something, ran off something (like rollers), or just fell off.
    not really an expert on spending money either.........btw......the garage door works perfectly......cost = $0.....value = priceless!

Master debator.
    I would suggest new wheels, and either knee warmers or new knickers. The Castelli Sorpasso bib knickers are $79.99 on chainlove lately, they have the best pad imho, and they are good for spring and fall riding.
    I'd suggest a set of Stan's tubeless wheels, along with knickers you'll look like a cross racer year round, and you can drink beer while riding and not have it seem out of character.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Frog Whisperer
    and alcohol is by far one of the best non-prescription painkillers on the market....either that, or ya just don't effin care......one or the other!

Frog Whisperer
    so what kind of wheels did you pick out?

Not Banned
    sorry, I was torn. Do I respond to the frivolous part of the thread or address the issue. I chose your knee. If it was all a big set up for the wheel kicker, well.....

Assos Roubaix Bib Knickers

We have met the enemy...
    also: kneewarmers below 70F
    Clearly you live in a warm climate.

We're all for "Belgian knee-warmers"--HTFU and put some wintergreen or tiger balm and a nice layer of Vaseline and you're good to about 45 deg.
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

Not Banned
    move someplace warmer

We have met the enemy...
    We used to get the over-use knee pain every spring riding in the PNW where it was invariably cold and damp at the same time.

We did used to use wintergreen in combination or by itself to keep the knees warm on long wet rides, too.

Despite my tongue-in-cheek reply to Creaky I would second the idea of bib knicks--I too scored some Castellis off Chainlove. (I had a pair of Campagnolo ones that were clearly made for short Italians--couldn't keep my knees covered and be comfortable.)

New wheels invariably help with both pain and speed.
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    Clearly you live in a warm climate.

We're all for "Belgian knee-warmers"--HTFU and put some wintergreen or tiger balm and a nice layer of Vaseline and you're good to about 45 deg.
    Incorrect. Science trumps old school Euro received wisdom.

Technical FAQ: Why is riding in the cold so hard?

Get me to In&Out
    The important question not being asked here and is likely the cause...does the new tape match the new saddle?
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

Sleep Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload View Post
    The important question not being asked here and is likely the cause...does the new tape match the new saddle?
    Sadly, there my bike lacks color. Black tape, bars, frame, saddle, etc... New wheels are being built with hubs and nipples. Had a hard time deciding between green and red.
    As for the warmers suggestion: Don't care for Assos, or should I say my ass didn't care for it. Got an XL set of their Mille bibs that's sat in my closet after only one ride. Put it up on CL a few times with only lowball offers.

Cheese is my copilot

Too much verbiage. But I do wear knee warmers under 70 degrees. It was good enough for Eddy.

Edit: And negatory on the new wheels since that's usually synonymous with boutique wheels. Get some new wheels BUILT (or build them yourself) and your knee pain will magically disappear.
    Life is better in the big ring.

http://theclemencyblog.blogspot.com/

Master debator.
    Reading that made my day. Now when I do a ride averaging 17.1 mph on my 23lb cyclocross bike with knobby tires, it really means I'm doing about 19 mph in normal temps. Of course if that's true, so is the inverse, and now I'm depressed again.
    Poop.

"I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast