Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I make Eagles fly
    Jan 2015
    New shoes, or new helmet. Maybe both.

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by el gee View Post
    Whatever happened to Arby, northcoast, Dave Hickey, MB1 and Miss M, Doug Sloan, ATP Junkie, J's haiku (after he changed his name), and phillipec? The commuting and touring forum used to be full of incredible Washington DC / C&O trail / Baltimore / So Cal and NorCal pics. Phillipec made you feel like a Paris local on a commute with him.
    I miss Hickey who used to keep the Retro section alive. And I'm still making cherry clafoutis because of Phillipe--the famous post--'If life gives you cherries, make clafoutis!"

As George said though 'All things must pass'
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    I miss Hickey who used to keep the Retro section alive. And I'm still making cherry clafoutis because of Phillipe--the famous post--'If life gives you cherries, make clafoutis!"

As George said though 'All things must pass'
    Everyone is in the facebook Lownje. Cuz RBR's days have passed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    Everyone is in the facebook Lownje. Cuz RBR's days have passed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Never got an invite...
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

Get me to In&Out
    For me it is about functionality. IE not working for replies was the first issue. There is a new version of PBulletin that fixed it, but they never put it here. So if I don't use Chrome or Mozilla, as soon as the auto-save happens, the reply box takes about one letter every two seconds. The second thing was popups and a sidebar that nuked functionality. The downfall began with eliminating Podium Girls though. Facebook started shortly after.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ok, ok.... checking in...
    Really I think it's people moving to social media. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram spend lots of money how to keep it's users. I've been on other forums and they all seem to be losing their crowd. Maybe forum are a little out of date because you have to read, scroll and think a bit.

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Roadie88 View Post
    Ok, ok.... checking in...
    Really I think it's people moving to social media. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram spend lots of money how to keep it's users. I've been on other forums and they all seem to be losing their crowd. Maybe forum are a little out of date because you have to read, scroll and think a bit.
    I'm gonna disagree a little bit.

I hang out on other forums as well – audiophile ones, ones about kayaking, ones about Tesla autos (might get a used Model S in the next year or two), even ones about guns (I like shotguns, but not crazy NRA members).

They're all doing quite well, and offer pretty big storehouses of knowledge about specific things (alongside of quite a bit of crap, of course).

Meanwhile... Facebook? That's something my 74-year-old Mom is really into.

Social media isn't going away, certainly, but is it really all-conquering and all that cool if the senior citizens are rocking it? Feels more like an alternate way of getting at the info and getting into an online community, not the only way.

Will agree with others in the thread who've said that RBR has done a fairly poor job of keeping the site ship-shape and functioning well. The mods are really good, but a lot of 'basic site functionality stuff' has gone by the boards.

And I still remember how a handful of Indian spammers completely RUINED several forums here for WEEKS (especially General), until a couple of ppl here like MB1 and myself got a ton of ppl here to mass email/mass notify the site admins until they finally fixed the prob.

It's like, it's YOUR site. If you don't care about it, how can you expect anyone else to? Yeesh.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    I'm gonna disagree a little bit.

I hang out on other forums as well – audiophile ones, ones about kayaking, ones about Tesla autos (might get a used Model S in the next year or two), even ones about guns (I like shotguns, but not crazy NRA members).

They're all doing quite well, and offer pretty big storehouses of knowledge about specific things (alongside of quite a bit of crap, of course).

Meanwhile... Facebook? That's something my 74-year-old Mom is really into.

Social media isn't going away, certainly, but is it really all-conquering and all that cool if the senior citizens are rocking it? Feels more like an alternate way of getting at the info and getting into an online community, not the only way.

Will agree with others in the thread who've said that RBR has done a fairly poor job of keeping the site ship-shape and functioning well. The mods are really good, but a lot of 'basic site functionality stuff' has gone by the boards.

And I still remember how a handful of Indian spammers completely RUINED several forums here for WEEKS (especially General), until a couple of ppl here like MB1 and myself got a ton of ppl here to mass email/mass notify the site admins until they finally fixed the prob.

It's like, it's YOUR site. If you don't care about it, how can you expect anyone else to? Yeesh.
    Thanks and well said, SystemShock. I missed the spam attack. I'll check in more often.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    One thing that forums like this need is new members. And yes, while Facebook is something that my grandmother uses, it's also a one-stop shop. I can log into Facebook and be instantly connected to fellow enthusiasts of mountain bikes, road bikes, guitars, underwater basketweaving, end-times survivalism, toe socks, vintage baseball caps, trailerhitch demagnetizers, etc. In forum world, each of those activities have their own individual forum, which gets really clunky and cumbersome when I have to remember 9 different usernames and 9 different passwords, especially when I have to log into each site individually to ask which bike is best for playing guitar underwater while wearing toe socks and a baseball cap during the apocalypse. So, while all these hobbies are going strong, specialized forums aren't, because basic questions (like "Are Treks good bikes?) can be answered with one word ("Yes") on your local Trek enthusiasts FB group.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123