Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making things

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2002
    I made mine from reading at the CBG site. These are electric. and I made a few acoustic as well. I can't play a lick. I took a few to friends who can just to make sure they were Ok.
    It was more of a "what can I do with these nice boxes and some free time" more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    I've been wanting to make a CBG myself. The kits I've seen online run about $80. But, I'm contemplating making one from scratch.

It would be even better if I knew how to even begin to play one.

half-fast
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    I just made 4 bluebird boxes for Christmas gifts.

I also made 8 bottom boards for my beehives.
    I like bluebirds.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    I've been wanting to make a CBG myself. The kits I've seen online run about $80. But, I'm contemplating making one from scratch.

It would be even better if I knew how to even begin to play one.
    They are easy to make. Start with a diddly bow - the thing Jack White makes in the beginning of It Might Get Loud. They are easy to play, and like Thelonious Monk, there are no wrong notes on your instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by rePhil View Post
    I made mine from reading at the CBG site. These are electric. and I made a few acoustic as well. I can't play a lick. I took a few to friends who can just to make sure they were Ok.
    It was more of a "what can I do with these nice boxes and some free time" more than anything else.
    Set them up in an open tuning and use a big socket for a slide. Go to town.

Satanic Watch Winder
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    opus, you mount and dismount from the left side of the bike? Seems like it would be easier if the whole setup was flipped around. I would have trouble swinging my leg over that close to the wall.
    Telephoto compression.
    The crumbling of our wide freeways suggest a narrower vision

Only the mob and the elite can be attracted by the momentum of totalitarianism itself. The masses have to be won by propaganda.

MAKE AMERICA SMART AGAIN

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    This is cool.

I made some copper stuff a few years ago.

Cleaning the copper with lemon and salt first helped tremendously when coloring it.

Any pictures?
    I've been sanding lightly then cleaning with acetone first, but I like the sound of this better. Also been using up some old vinegar that we don't use.

Latest batch includes an ammonium chloride solution sprayed on either clean cat litter, sawdust, shop towels or mulched leaves (aka stuff that I already have on hand.) Some really cool effects, though subtle- could be the cold weather or something.

"The difference b/c screwing around and science, is writing stuff down." I don't have the patience to write stuff down, so mostly I try stuff and then forget what does what!

Will have to take some photos and pretend like it's impressive

half-fast
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    I've been sanding lightly then cleaning with acetone first, but I like the sound of this better. Also been using up some old vinegar that we don't use.

Latest batch includes an ammonium chloride solution sprayed on either clean cat litter, sawdust, shop towels or mulched leaves (aka stuff that I already have on hand.) Some really cool effects, though subtle- could be the cold weather or something.

"The difference b/c screwing around and science, is writing stuff down." I don't have the patience to write stuff down, so mostly I try stuff and then forget what does what!

Will have to take some photos and pretend like it's impressive
    Bag up or tent the stuff you are coloring in with the wet sawdust, and you can develop the colors over a longer time. Distilled water slows it down.

There are some things to be careful of, ammonia being nasty and all. One unintended consequence of my dalliance with coloring metal was a lot of rusty stuff in that corner of the shop. A lot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bag up or tent the stuff you are coloring in with the wet sawdust, and you can develop the colors over a longer time. Distilled water slows it down.

There are some things to be careful of, ammonia being nasty and all. One unintended consequence of my dalliance with coloring metal was a lot of rusty stuff in that corner of the shop. A lot.
    John needed the table for one of his projects, so I packed up the fumigation tent and just piled the tiles up in another corner (next to my makeshift chem lab!)

The ammonium chloride reacts well with Fresh Step. I need to double-check the ingredients in Fresh Step- make sure there's no chlorine or anything in the deodorant. Left to sit for a few days, the colors become well-defined on the edges.

I don't wear a respirator unless I'm torching things up, but I probably should. It's not a large-scale operation in any case.

My goal (or at least, inspiration) is something along these lines:

Making things-blue-36x36-2.jpg

Making things-metalartquilt-10.jpg

Name:  Waterfall-patina-345x500.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  70.3 KB

half-fast
    Those are some nice blues.

Here in no particular order are Grandpa's chest with and without Rocky, and a thing I made with some colored metal.

Making things-chest-dog.jpg

Making things-chest-open.jpg

Making things-gate.jpg

Nothing is wrong with the phone camera, you are just seeing spots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Making things-chest-dog.jpg  
    Last edited by 10ae1203; 12-12-2016 at 04:07 PM.

half-fast
    Not sure why last picture is sideways. I used to know how to put pictures on here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cool stuff! I like the idea of patina-colored leaves.

So that's why the tent is necessary, to keep the fumes from affecting other metals in the garage? It's very drafty in there, and I've always got the door open while working.

Making some dishwasher magnets as holiday gifts, John is acting as project manager I was going to do a simple rectangle with a magnet; he suggests doing a triangle-shape, soldered, so that it can be viewed from above.

Also, I wanted one side patina'd to indicate "dirty" and the other left plain for "clean," but he says that there should be lettering, and the letters should be dremeled- last night he took out his architectural drawing letter stickers........He forgets that time is of the essence.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's my first batch of experiments (trying to delete/re-add a couple but it's not working, hence duplicates):

Making things-copper-sample-1.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Making things-copper-sample-1.jpg   Making things-copper-sample-3.jpg   Making things-copper-sample-4.jpg   Making things-copper-sample-5.jpg  
    Last edited by Christine; 12-13-2016 at 08:58 AM.

hello
    Wood fired pizza oven I built back in 2010.

SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

half-fast
    Quote Originally Posted by roadfix View Post

You got any bread or pizza pictures?

RoadBikeReview Member
    A friend of ours wants to build a pizza oven/grill out of an existing brick grill. But he was also hoping to turn some extra firewood into charcoal to use in it (maple and birch.) I don't think this is feasible though.

hello
    You got any bread or pizza pictures?
    Wings and pizza...

During a Halloween party, my friend posing w/pizza.
    Last edited by roadfix; 12-13-2016 at 04:11 PM.

half-fast
    That looks great.

Beetpull DeLite
    I've been thinking about this recently...I almost never build anything. I'm always fixing, rebuilding, assembling, or otherwise improving stuff, but very rarely actually build something out of raw materials. We're turning our third bedroom into a project/craft room with a workbench and a wall o' shelves, and I would like to build them. They should be a relatively simple project and a good way to learn.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy View Post
    I've been thinking about this recently...I almost never build anything. I'm always fixing, rebuilding, assembling, or otherwise improving stuff, but very rarely actually build something out of raw materials. We're turning our third bedroom into a project/craft room with a workbench and a wall o' shelves, and I would like to build them. They should be a relatively simple project and a good way to learn.
    Do it...also an excellent excuse to buy more tools!!!!!!!!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Beetpull DeLite
    I don't think I'd actually need to! The one thing likely holding me back previously was a decent table saw, and I picked up one of those last spring. It'd be a good excuse to actually use what I have.

Seat's not level
    Making things-playhouse12.jpgName:  playhouse4.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  18.6 KBI built the kid a playhouse...
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

Crusty AF

This is relevant to my interests.

I'm planning to build one in the backyard next year, which is what got me interested in learning to bake bread (per my other baking thread). The baking is also helping to bring She Who Does Not Ride on board with the pizza oven.

Modeling it after this one...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

Crusty AF
    I don't think I'd actually need to!
    Yes, yes you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	playhouse12.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	317384Name:  playhouse4.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  18.6 KBI built the kid a playhouse...
    which will be used for bike storage by her!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

half-fast
    Shelves are a good project to start up with, because once you learn the basic plan, you have a carcase to work with, and then it's a simple addition to put in doors or drawers, tart it up with some molding, and you have the makings of built-in furniture for a library, kitchen, or whatever.

And more tools are more better.

I don't think I'd actually need to! The one thing likely holding me back previously was a decent table saw, and I picked up one of those last spring. It'd be a good excuse to actually use what I have.
    More tools. It's in the regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by drussell View Post
    Yes, yes you do.
    This guy knows.

hello
    In 2012 I built an observatory in my back yard. The entire roof of this "shed" is on rails and slides open to the right.

And that's my grand daughter and her 11" scope. Scope is mounted on a solid concrete pier.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In 2012 I built an observatory in my back yard. The entire roof of this "shed" is on rails and slides open to the right.

And that's my grand daughter and her 11" scope. Scope is mounted on a solid concrete pier.
    An observatory.

I can't see the pictures, but I'm impressed. And jealous that your granddaughter gets to grow up like some sort of Vanderbilt

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast