Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making things

Frog Whisperer
    so for the past several months, we have been working on a "recycling" project in my daughter and son in laws, 1955 cottage style house. A beautiful little, well built home in great shape. In spite of the gorgeous hardwood floors, at some point, someone decided to carpet the main staircase right inside the front door. UGH........ They use about 20 million staples and beat the living hell out of the knotty, soft pine risers. The tread are maple and worth salvaging. The decided that they wanted to have stained/varnished tread with painted stringers and risers. They stairs were in nice structural condition and replacing them, while it would have been easier, was not reall feasible (I love building stairs). They are mortised stringers so we decided to refinish the tread and veneer the risers with a good maple plywood that would hold up well and would finish nicely. This has taken us months since it is a 120 mile round trip (with tools) To further complicate matters, Dr Jenny is 8 1/2 months pregnant! Oh....and family Christmas, is at her house this year!

We finished our part today, final coat of paint on stringers, risers and 1/4 round and cove to go BUT, but Joe will get that done.

I think it looks OK!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Making things-img_20161218_154535.jpg   Making things-img_20161218_154623.jpg  
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Very nice TOG!

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    Very nice TOG!
    Thanks bro.....the things we do for our kids......and grandkids

BTW, the grand daughters were over last weekend for a "sleep over" and the had so much fun with their new "Belfry" my neighbors might move!

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Quote Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
    In 2012 I built an observatory in my back yard. The entire roof of this "shed" is on rails and slides open to the right.

And that's my grand daughter and her 11" scope. Scope is mounted on a solid concrete pier.
    This did not receive enough comments for such a kick ass project! That is a serious telescope.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    This did not receive enough comments for such a kick ass project! That is a serious telescope.
    true dat, and I apologize for that, but tis my busy season! Considering my baby girl is an astronomer and has done time at Kitt Peak twice, Aricibo and worked 3 Planetariums and runs one in MI now..... Your grand daughter is in mighty fine company! Heading for the stars! Great job feeding her passion!

Seat's not level
    Bike storage is in the shed right next to it. 10x12 foot shed that's pretty full.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

Ricardo Cabeza
    I've been working on various things using part I can't identify or aren't worth selling for one reason or another.

Example, business card holder made from a connecting rod from a 1933 Chevrolet 194 straight six:

Making things-img_2528.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Ricardo Cabeza
    A few more

Making things-img_2560.jpg

Making things-img_2558.jpg

A clock in the works, made from a flywheel ring gear, some engine valves, a transmission gear, etc

Making things-img_2527.jpg

V8 emblem, part of a coat rack I'm working on.

Making things-img_2526.jpg

Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been working on various things using part I can't identify or aren't worth selling for one reason or another

This is my favorite type of craft, when people use stuff that they can't otherwise use, or would just throw away.

hello
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    true dat, and I apologize for that, but tis my busy season! Considering my baby girl is an astronomer and has done time at Kitt Peak twice, Aricibo and worked 3 Planetariums and runs one in MI now..... Your grand daughter is in mighty fine company! Heading for the stars! Great job feeding her passion!
    Thank you TOG! Glad to hear your daughter is doing what she loves and quite an astronomer!
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

hello
    Andy69....Nice metal work with the engine parts!

I've never worked with metal before until I had to fix our front gate which needed some welding a couple of years ago. I picked up a very cheap inverter welder at HF to make the repair. Anyhow, I had fun welding that I wanted to make something next so I made this 36" long, all steel, 70 pound beast of yakitori grill.
    Gets awfully hot standing next to it grilling as the walls are not insulated....LOL... But it does great yakitori.

SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

Ricardo Cabeza
    Woah. Nice work

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Thanks bro.....the things we do for our kids......and grandkids

BTW, the grand daughters were over last weekend for a "sleep over" and the had so much fun with their new "Belfry" my neighbors might move!
    Gotta stock it with bats!

The stairs are gorgeous- looks like our staircase, but the house came with it like that. Though John just noticed one of the.........whatdayacallits, ballasters? is a bit wobbly. He says it can't be repaired easily.

Never thought I'd read the sentence "I love making stairs." Thought they were especially difficult and frustrating.

OH just curious- is it possible to cut one of the steps in a way that it becomes a secret storage box for the kids? I've always loved this idea, but doubt it's practical.

half-fast
    Some great projects. I think I remember when the observatory was being built, was there a thread on here?

Andy, you gonna make any muffler men? I like those.

I have not made much these last couple of weeks, except ashes. I watched the fireplace a couple of nights. Oh, and I sawed logs at the same time.

Those are some nice steps, ToG. Refinishing the stairs in a house with people living in it must have caused you to wonder why a few times.

Also, Stairs are not the place for a hidey-hole. Loose treads and all that.

RoadBikeReview Member

Yeah I figured there's a reason I've never heard of somebody actually doing it!

Crusty AF
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Just because something is a bad idea doesn't preclude someone from doing it! In fact, the worse of an idea it is, probably the greater likelihood of someone yelling "You're not my REAL dad!" and trying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I love the idea of a "secret step" to stash stuff.

Meanwhile, I'm putting this thing back up, was my holiday decoration from last year:

Making things-cubicle-decoration-06c26-2016.jpg

Re-using last year's photo for the contest submission since I didn't bring my camera. Just gotta re-do the mantle, didn't keep the black cardboard.

Frog Whisperer
    Gotta stock it with bats!

The stairs are gorgeous- looks like our staircase, but the house came with it like that. Though John just noticed one of the.........whatdayacallits, ballasters? is a bit wobbly. He says it can't be repaired easily.

Never thought I'd read the sentence "I love making stairs." Thought they were especially difficult and frustrating.

OH just curious- is it possible to cut one of the steps in a way that it becomes a secret storage box for the kids? I've always loved this idea, but doubt it's practical.
    Stairs are easy with the right tools, and I only build mortised stringers for indoors. Our stairs were built from kiln driec, rough sawn lumber. My wife and I have built 6, 3 oak, 2 maple and 1doug fir.

Frog Whisperer

it's not a bad idea and it wouldn't be hard at all, nor would it have to be unsafe

RoadBikeReview Member
    it's not a bad idea and it wouldn't be hard at all, nor would it have to be unsafe

Oooh. You don't say. Can't seem to talk my husband into doing something like this

half-fast
    It would be safer with adults than children. All the options I can think of have the potential to trip someone if left open.

I have built a number of compartments. Bookshelf tops, desks, in a baseboard, in a couple walls, and once under a stair.

Magnets help. Springs are good too.

It's a fun thing to do and leave behind for people to find.

Sometimes they need hints, though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I found this to be a fascinating thread, mostly as it's interesting to see how you'all get creative at "other then work" projects.

I work in the theater lighting and staging business, so have to be creative and technically skilled all day, for 41 years now. My wife as well paints scenery at CBS. So when I read the title, I thought "Yeah, I make things, sort of. I make the Nutcracker look good". Creative and technical.

But it's fair to say that when we are home, we have little energy to do projects around the house. I will be installing kitchen under cabinet LED lighting on the holiday break, but it's going to be an effort.

When I took up cycling 25 years ago, I found I had a knack for maintaining and building up bikes from frames. I've even grown tired of that somewhat.

Maybe when I retire I'll need to take up projects to keep the juices flowing.

But so many amazing projects here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    work in the theater lighting and staging business, so have to be creative and technically skilled all day, for 41 years now

Do you still find it fun or does it feel like work? I suspect that the new projects must be fun.

My silly fireplace cubicle decoration just got Honorable Mention for Holiday Spirit. That's dandy, but I'll have to put more effort into it if I want to win a gift card.

I know, next year a Sun Gong There are some high ceilings on the 3rd floor conference level.....

Might be easier to sabotage those other cubicles though...........

Ricardo Cabeza
    I put these together the other day.

Already sold two of the business card holders, and two people waiting for me to build them something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Making things-15698359_10154020372656631_4461735616020451008_n.jpeg   Making things-15698281_10154020372641631_6650016032467283506_n.jpeg  

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    work in the theater lighting and staging business, so have to be creative and technically skilled all day, for 41 years now

Do you still find it fun or does it feel like work? I suspect that the new projects must be fun.
    It's still mostly fun and always has been. I count myself fortunate that I've been paid a decent salary to have a job that is "fun".

Tired of fixing things a bit, but only the same old, same old. New technical challenges are enjoyable, but not learning new software.

But I don't have spare energy for home projects and that's why I'm impressed with some of the projects here. Especially the home observatory. That's cool as well as living someplace where the stars are that good in your back yard. I usually have to drive 4 hrs. for that !.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast