Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Making things

Ricardo Cabeza
    V8 bookendsMaking things-img_2603.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    What do you moreons know about linseed oil? I covered one of my large copper-patina tiles with a coat, left it a few days, and part of it dried in a wrinkled pattern (pooling?)

It's kinda goopy, so I have no idea how to deal with it. Any way to smooth it out w/o removing it and the patina underneath?

I had tested a smaller tile with linseed oil before applying lacquer, and the results were fine. Gave it a rich, shiny look. Didn't know the oil could "bunch up."

half-fast
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    V8 bookends
    Those are cool as hell.

half-fast
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    What do you moreons know about linseed oil? I covered one of my large copper-patina tiles with a coat, left it a few days, and part of it dried in a wrinkled pattern (pooling?)

It's kinda goopy, so I have no idea how to deal with it. Any way to smooth it out w/o removing it and the patina underneath?

I had tested a smaller tile with linseed oil before applying lacquer, and the results were fine. Gave it a rich, shiny look. Didn't know the oil could "bunch up."
    Raw or Boiled? Boiled is modified with drying agents. Raw is not.

BLO will dry sooner than raw. Raw linseed oil is for rubbing into wood, a drop at a time, because it dries slower than molasses.

Don't use molasses for a wood finish.

Anyhow.

I've used a lot of linseed oil, but all on porous stuff like wood.

When it wrinkles, it is much too thick. You may be able to re-soften it with mineral spirits and wipe or blot it off. Maybe not, though. If not, a more aggressive solvent might help, but you are then going down a fraught road.

Maybe try a few samples treated with cut linseed oil, say 1/3 spirits and 2/3 oil, or 50-50 for future stuff.

You know about the rags, right? Rags and other waste soaked in linseed oil are a time bomb prone to spontaneous combustion. I've seen it happen.

Good luck. I hate those kinds of surprises.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My husband has been using it for his metal stuff, so I was told not to let it sit around on a rag or anything. What about a paintbrush? What about a small coated metal item sitting on a shop rag?

Not sure if it's boiled or what. So damn much to learn! I will ask........

EDIT: Boiled.

half-fast
    In the spirit of too much information, here is a safety data sheet on the product.

http://www.kleanstrip.com/uploads/do...d_Oil_MSDS.pdf

RoadBikeReview Member
    Used a plastic scrubber thing to take off about half the wrinkling, but man is it stubborn. It's like rubber cement.

half-fast
    I have had these two old doors for a long time. We found them when we were moving, and thought it would be fun to use them somehow.

Making things-20170419_075229_resized.jpg

The cabinet came out way better than I had hoped. Sometimes I have bright ideas that don't execute quite right. This time I am pretty pleased.

Men has BBQ stuff. Women has garden stuff and foo foo lamps.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    I have had these two old doors for a long time. We found them when we were moving, and thought it would be fun to use them somehow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170419_075229_resized.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	318751

The cabinet came out way better than I had hoped. Sometimes I have bright ideas that don't execute quite right. This time I am pretty pleased.

Men has BBQ stuff. Women has garden stuff and foo foo lamps.
    That's awesome... right up to the moment somebody poops in your cabinet.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Just finished making a countertop last weekend. Cost a scant $180 for a sheet of laminate from Wilsonart, the substrate, and contact cement. 60" x 120" sheet allowed for no seams with a 2" inside corner radius. Not in the picture is the small counter to the right of the missing stove. Drawer with missing drawer front is the last thing to finish up. Took out the dishwasher and made the cabinet instead of buying a base cabinet so it would match the rest of them.

Making things-wp_20170410_14_45_51_pro.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Making things-wp_20170410_17_42_52_pro.jpg  
    Sent from my Personal Computer while tapping on the keyboard

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mom had an old gate that rotted and fell apart. Some 4x4's, some extra lumber for decorative features, matt black spray paint to freshen up the gate, finished in two days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

half-fast
    Nice work on both of those

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

I burnt up my favorite Opel Station wagon by leaving a blanket used as a drip cloth after finishing a cedar chest with tongue oil. It spontaneously combusted one night in the driveway. Our coonhound woke us up in time to call the FD before the house caught. The Fire Marshall insisted someone threw a match down the filler tube. I think he suspected me. I couldn't knock him off his theory no matter what.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow so it really does happen! I've read a lot of posts where people say they've thrown away the oil-soaked rags and such, without a problem.

Linseed oil seems a bit too dark for my purposes in any case.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Wow so it really does happen! I've read a lot of posts where people say they've thrown away the oil-soaked rags and such, without a problem.

Linseed oil seems a bit too dark for my purposes in any case.
    Flammable liquids by definition has a less then 100 deg F. flash point, combustible is 150 or so. So yes, stuff can just "catch fire" if the conditions are there. Closed car, no air flow, warm night, etc....

My wife just took (and passed) the NYFD paint spray booth test for her job at CBS, I helped her study and was surprised at some stuff, but better understand why the FD makes a big deal out of some things.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    [QUOTE=crossracer01;5144233]Mom had an old gate that rotted and fell apart. Some 4x4's, some extra lumber for decorative features, matt black spray paint to freshen up the gate, finished in two days [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk

Why do you have such a magnanimous gate to enter your estate? It doesn't appear that any of your neighbors have such a foreboding structure....

Beetpull DeLite
    Sure, but what kind of oil? Only certain types are susceptible to spontaneous combustion. Just make sure you spread them out (rather than wadding them into a ball) on the floor, outside, whatever. Or put them in a steel safety can specifically designed for oily rags.

The key is to RTFM basically - check warnings on the can of whatever you're using.

The owner of several popular sites posted this on one of them just last week. It's security cam footage of a plastic trash can, next to a wall and a rack of wood scraps, igniting itself overnight:

The Garage Journal Blog Archive Surviving My Own Stupidity?

Just because some people have gotten lucky, doesn't mean you can ignore it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234