Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Making things

half-fast

Making things

I like that there are a couple of active threads about making stuff.

Since we moved, and I have some time again, I have been putting my shop together at the new place. In that process, I decided it was time to get my grandfather's tool chest cleaned up. It's an old wood chest with a hinged lid and three drawers. I have no before picture, because it was shamefully filthy.

I dumped out each drawer, cleaned up the outside of the cabinet, and gave it a coat of wiping oil.

I won't clean up the paint drips, because they are a part of the story. I didn't make them, so they are not something to clean up.

What I will do, though, is find some drawer pulls. There are a few of the originals, and a few flat head screws where the pulls are gone. I think I will also make a new front panel for it.

When things get crazy and out of control, it is good to be able to have a little piece of the world that we can make just-so.

I see now that I have no photo of the chest at all on my phone. I will have to take a picture later.

What else are you all making? I also want to make some wine. And maybe that dutch oven bread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Blocks...for the grandchildren.

Hard Maple

Making things-img_0932.jpg
    Making things-img_0934.jpg

half-fast
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post

Hard Maple
    Neat-o.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2002
    I worked in a Special Needs School where we had the freedom to try all sorts of projects.We had all sorts of donations, including cigar boxes. The subject matter (tobacco ) was enough to keep it away from students but the donor thought we might paint them to disguise them. I elected to try my hand at CBG's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Making things-img_2291.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    a soaking bathtub
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    I made a little copper bowl for my husband for our copper anniversary (7 years.) We inherited some metal stamps that's missing some letters, but has all the numbers, so I stamped the date of our 7th anniversary into the bottom.

I'm also learning how to patina copper for abstract art, which involves some chemicals, flux and blowtorching. So far I just have small samples that are finished, but am still working on larger pieces- takes a lot of trial/error and time to get patina to form.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I was about to use a giant pile of willow branches to make a "wattle fence" to screen the view of my new hot tub. But then the temperatures went subzero and I don't want to do yard work in that kind of whether - and the branches probably aren't flexible enough until it warms up.

half-fast
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    I made a little copper bowl for my husband for our copper anniversary (7 years.) We inherited some metal stamps that's missing some letters, but has all the numbers, so I stamped the date of our 7th anniversary into the bottom.

I'm also learning how to patina copper for abstract art, which involves some chemicals, flux and blowtorching. So far I just have small samples that are finished, but am still working on larger pieces- takes a lot of trial/error and time to get patina to form.
    This is cool.

I made some copper stuff a few years ago.

Cleaning the copper with lemon and salt first helped tremendously when coloring it.

Any pictures?

half-fast
    Quote Originally Posted by rePhil View Post
    I worked in a Special Needs School where we had the freedom to try all sorts of projects.We had all sorts of donations, including cigar boxes. The subject matter (tobacco ) was enough to keep it away from students but the donor thought we might paint them to disguise them. I elected to try my hand at CBG's.
    Nice.

half-fast
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    I was about to use a giant pile of willow branches to make a "wattle fence" to screen the view of my new hot tub. But then the temperatures went subzero and I don't want to do yard work in that kind of whether - and the branches probably aren't flexible enough until it warms up.
    Soak them in the hot tub?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    Soak them in the hot tub?
    Hmm, in theory that's a good plan. We're bound to get a warm snap here sooner or later. I just hope I can get them moved to somewhere that the snow plow won't cover them up during the approaching snow storm - but I'm leaving on a ski trip tomorrow. Priorities.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post

Hard Maple

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0932.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	317328
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0934.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	317329
    Thats jus way cool......God, I need some power tools.........
    So I tuned the Larrivee, drop D, then DADGAD.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by proclaimer888 View Post
    Thats jus way cool......God, I need some power tools.........
    I'm pretty sure J.R. whittled those with a pen knife.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Are you planning on dressing it up with some daub?????
    I'm upping my standards;
    Up yours!

hello
    My last DIY project were a set of top and under down-filled quilts for my hammock
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

Frog Whisperer
    been working on restoration of my daughter's staircase. It would have been easier to build a new one!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

What the what???
    My last real DIY project was this past summer. I repurposed some lumber that had been a bed frame I made into a platform for rollers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

Frog Whisperer
    opus, you mount and dismount from the left side of the bike? Seems like it would be easier if the whole setup was flipped around. I would have trouble swinging my leg over that close to the wall.

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

What the what???

Making things

Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    opus, you mount and dismount from the left side of the bike? Seems like it would be easier if the whole setup was flipped around. I would have trouble swinging my leg over that close to the wall.
    Yeah. I stand on the left/non-drive side and swing my leg over, so I made the platform a little wider on that side. I would slide it away from the wall a bit more, but what you don't see in the pic is the ginormous elliptical machine sitting next to it. The center is open, though, so I can pull the rollers and put them in the other way if I decide to rearrange.

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    then he would be staring at a wall 1' away, just say'in!
    BANNED

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    then he would be staring at a wall 1' away, just say'in!
    on rollers, imo, it makes little difference, lol. I try to spend 45 minutes, 5 days a week on them just to kill my remaining brain cells

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Yeah. I stand on the left/non-drive side and swing my leg over, so I made the platform a little wider on that side. I would slide it away from the wall a bit more, but what you don't see in the pic is the ginormous elliptical machine sitting next to it. The center is open, though, so I can pull the rollers and put them in the other way if I decide to rearrange.

Non non normal
    I just made 4 bluebird boxes for Christmas gifts.

I also made 8 bottom boards for my beehives.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

What the what???
    Nice. I like the simplicity. Though without parabolic rollers I'd eventually slide off snd kill myself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rePhil View Post
    I've been wanting to make a CBG myself. The kits I've seen online run about $80. But, I'm contemplating making one from scratch.

It would be even better if I knew how to even begin to play one.
    To those in uniform, both present and past, who have protected my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

My radio control aircraft addiction is fed by: theprofilebrotherhood.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast