RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Man, I'm about over pet ownership

In November my wife and I returned from Hawaii very late on a Wednesday night. Thursday was filled with work, grocery shopping, etc. and an early bed time. We looked forward to relaxing with our two cats Tully and Koa on Friday night. I returned home early to find that Tully (who was closely bonded to my wife) had suffered an aortic thrombosis, was paralyzed from the waist down, in great pain, and with no cure. We were extremely saddened. Koa was visibly lonely. Tully was only 12.

After having adopted somewhat older cats my wife longed for a kitten. In December we adopted a 3 month old blue tabby and have taken great joy in watching him grow, explore his new world, become friends with Koa, and become very close to my wife.

This week we were on a long weekend trip during which my wife learned a close aunt had just passed away. As if this wasn't hard enough, we came home to find that the kitten developed aspiration pneumonia. There's much more to this story but in the past 24 hours we spent $2,000 and much agonizing only to lose him.

My wife is distraught, I'm in tears as I type this, and I don't know how long if ever it will be until I can open my heart to a new pet.

Thanks for listening.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    I feel you. Went from 4 cats and 2 dogs, to just 2 dogs in the span of 3 years, and sadly, my 12 year old Great Dane is not long for this world. It sucks.. about all I can say about it.

a real member's member
    a trip to the shelter is in order: lose one, save one.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am so sorry, dir-t.

Pets are very much part of the family and are loved almost as much as a child. As hard as it is to lose a pet, a life is always much better and enriched to have experienced the unconditional love that a pet gives.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

Boobies!
    Sorry for your loss.

We're hanging on with our geriatric cat who is 18 this year and not doing so well.

Little guys get under your skin though--and it's hard for us to imagine a pet-free house.
    "A man is judged by the company he keeps, and a company is judged by the men it keeps, and the people of Democratic nations are judged by the type and caliber of officers they elect."
    William J.H. Boetcker

Darling of The Lounge
    So sorry for your loss. My wife and lost our 13 year old dog last year and waited about six month before welcoming two new puppies into our home. We're glad to have pet companions again.

What the what???
    I get what you're saying, dir-t. I think we may be about done with pets around here as well. It's just too tough seeing them go and I think some people prolong their pet's life to ease their own suffering rather than the animal's.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Sorry for your loss. Having just had my 12 year old akita put down last week, it is the first time in about 35 years that I don't have any pets. It's a strange feeling. On the one hand, the house feels so empty. On the other hand, there's a new sense of freedom to not have another living being totally dependent on me. All of the dogs and cats I've had were wonderful companions. But they live such short lives compared to us humans, and the decision to have them put down was always heart wrenching, even though I knew it was the right thing to do. At this stage in my life (61 y/o, retired, widowed, no children) I really don't want to take on the long term responsibility of another living thing. I joke to my friends that I don't even want a house plant. But the temptation is there whenever I see a puppy or a kitten or some hard luck case that needs a home. We'll see how long I can hold out.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I really appreciate all your support. Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    and the decision to have them put down was always heart wrenching,
    Of the four cats that we said goodbye to, there was one that I think we kept around a couple days too long while there was simply no question that at had suddenly become time for the other three.

On one hand, I can take a bit of comfort in that, but on the other hand, I'll never forget finding Tully on the floor that day or watching that poor kitten breathe his last breath before the vet could get the needle to him.

As bored as I am at work today I don't even want to go home but at least I still have this little girl to see.
    Man, I'm about over pet ownership-img_1293.jpg

Here she is with her buddy - RIP little guy.
    Man, I'm about over pet ownership-img_1298.jpg
    Last edited by dir-t; 06-22-2018 at 01:11 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    man that's tough. I'm not a cat person at all but sorry for your anguish.

Not sure if your wife likes dogs but https://www.guidedogs.com/support-gd.../puppy-raising

The program helps the person that receives the trained dog and it gives the volunteer the companionship without the grief that comes from losing a loved member of the household to age or disease. It also gives people the chance not to be tied to a location for up to 15 years plus. AlanE? Sounds perfect for you.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    My parents said they're done with pet ownership as well. Recently, they had to put down their 10-year-old cat after a health problem that seemingly came out of nowhere. He had been perfectly healthy and had his regular checkups. Then one week his poops got smaller and smaller until he stopped pooping altogether. My parents took him to the vet who ran a scan and found a cancerous tumor in his colon. With chemo and surgery he'd only get a few months, and without any action taken he'd have a couple days. It happened very quickly.
    Ghurarmu shirkush agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gl-n anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    I really appreciate all your support. Thanks for that.

Of the four cats that we said goodbye to, there was one that I think we kept around a couple days too long while there was simply no question that at had suddenly become time for the other three.

On one hand, I can take a bit of comfort in that, but on the other hand, I'll never forget finding Tully on the floor that day or watching that poor kitten breathe his last breath before the vet could get the needle to him.

As bored as I am at work today I don't even want to go home but at least I still have this little girl to see.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1293.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	322957

Here she is with her buddy - RIP little guy.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1298.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	322958
    She is precious, dir-t. I hope you do find it in your heart to adopt another kitty. So many need loving homes such as yours and they are eternally grateful.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

Russian Troll Farmer
    After we lost our 15-year old male to heart issues (he also had mobility issues and was diabetic) We thought that we weren't going to get a replacement. But our female cat was so obviously lonely, after 6 months, we started looking for other cats, hopefully a mature one. In to our life came Mimi, a 5-6 year old tabby-tortoise shell mix:
    Attachment 322959

Sweetest cat we've ever owned, and smart, too. Yeah, she's a bit mouthy at times, and she sneezes a lot, but otherwise she's healthy. To think, we were he 4th owner! She took a while to bond, but after 3 years, she's now a lap-cat. Oh, she also gets along pretty well with our older, slightly cranky girl.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Our first female - Zoey, is working on 16. Ive never had a cat go more then 14 and lost 2 boys at 10 and 11, both within 2 mos. of each other in 15, both to cancer. That was hard. Ive had 2 with kidney failure, 1 with congestive heart, one had a stoke right in front of me. They do not have our life span and as I know with Zoey, shes about the equivalent of 80 in our years, so every day is a gift. I dont think I could put her down, shes been with us every year at our current home, having been born under our shed.

I feed a male feral whos living under my porch, with no real expectation he will ever move in, but hes sniffing my hand as I feed him, so slow progress. He looks sick and not much I can do yet, he wont eat food in a have-a-heart trap. Thats all I can do and thats all they ask.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Condolences dir-t. It's incredibly tough to lose a pet, but you are a better person for opening you home and heart to them. I have much respect for fellow humans that treat animals well and provide them with love and care.

Master debator.
    Sorry to hear about your animals. Being married to a vet we always seem to find new animals when we lose one, at any given time we have 4 dogs, a cat, and a horse. The cat is mine, she is 19 and pees wherever she wants despite trying everything to correct it as we think it's a behavioral issue. We have resigned her to one room upstairs with plastic all over the floor and pee pads. She's old and probably about ready to go anytime, but my wife still does everything she can to keep her going (sometimes despite me saying "let her go naturally" lol).

Our female shepherd has cancer, but keeps hanging on, it breaks my heart to know we will lose her, she is such a joy in our lives. We took her kayaking for her first time today, she settled in nicely and watched the bald eagles fish and the fish jump right by the boat, when we got home she got half a rotisserie chicken and a porterhouse bone just because she's not eating and we'll do anything to keep her strength up. She loves to play with our female shepherd puppy Ella, who is growing like a weed and loves water, she likes the kayak also.

The horse will live forever, we are not concerned about him lol all he does is eat and poop.

Maverick our 12+ black lab has been on a diet and is feeling great after losing his best bro Jacques a few months ago. He can still jump in the car himself, and he still likes to wander off into the woods and pretend not to hear us when we yell for him.

Bachardi our mutt feels put off by the puppy, but he is slowly warming up to her. He can get on the bed and snuggle with us and hide from her so he's okay.

I highly suspect we will lose Maverick and Sophia before the holidays, which will really change the dynamic of the household, but we'll surely get new animals that need a home.

I read somewhere that the lose of an animal can hit you harder than a relative, and I believe it, they can be so close to us...
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Our kitty Sophie passed away from an aortic thrombosis about a year and a half ago. We have since gotten Otto, an orange tabby. Adopted him as a kitten from an animal shelter. He's a great kitty and has gotten along with our current kitty, Sinjin. Sorry for the loss. Kitties are great, losing them is difficult.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    a trip to the shelter is in order: lose one, save one.
    That's been my philosophy forever. The loss of a pet is absolutely horrible and the grieving leaves you numb for a while, another cat or dog needs love and shelter. I just go in realizing that I will likely outlive them, but still enjoy their company everyday.

flinty-eyed moderator
    We lost two in a short amount of time, it was gutting. But the joy they bring and the great life I can give to shelter cats makes it worth it. Our third cat lives like ancient Egyptian royalty. . . .
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    How are you and your wife doing, Dir-t? I know it takes time, but hopefully the pain is subsiding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
    How are you and your wife doing, Dir-t? I know it takes time, but hopefully the pain is subsiding.
    Thanks so much for asking. We're doing better each day.

My wife still cries a little at night or when she first comes home from work as those were the times she most looked forward to seeing him (Lihu'e was his name, after the airport on Kauai). We lost the cat just a couple days after her aunt passed away under very sad circumstances (a WHOLE 'nuther story) so she's been dealing with a lot. We've actually lost 2 cats and 3 family members since November.

As we get better we think more and more about how the other cat is probably missing a playmate during the work day so... My wife is thinking of names for the next family member.

On one had we would like to find another blue tabby as we were pretty impressed with the look of that cat and his coat. On the other hand, they don't seem too common and we can probably only go for so long before our fur fix needs satisfied in some way.

Not Banned
    tarantulas are much easier and cheaper to care for

sorry for your loss
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering