waterproof*

Manziel wins the Heisman Trophy!

Whooop!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Manziel wins the Heisman Trophy!-johnny-heisman.jpg   Manziel wins the Heisman Trophy!-johnny-football.jpg  
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    That's has nothing to do with choking on a chicken bone does it?

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    That's has nothing to do with choking on a chicken bone does it?
    Why do you hate Mama Cass?
    Last edited by azpeterb; 12-08-2012 at 07:06 PM.

MCF
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Damn lisp...

Sweet Potato Kugel

Thumbs up I heart you azpeterb

Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    Why do yo hate Mama Cass?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cass
    " I don't know why I wanted a sable to begin with. I just always have. Since I was 8 or 9. "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Meh ... He had a good year, but there were a lot of RS Freshman that had nearly as good of years. He wont it by beating Alabama, no other reason.

The saddest part is he's not the best QB in the nation, and wasn't the best college football player in the nation, but it's really not based on the best player any longer, it's the best media campaign.

Marquis Lee (and being an Oregon fan, I'm far from a USC fan) was the best player in college football this year, but due to the fact receivers don't touch the ball every down, and USC lost 5 games because they have a crappy coach ... he really wasn't in consideration.
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

30 mpdb
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    Meh ... He had a good year, but there were a lot of RS Freshman that had nearly as good of years. He wont it by beating Alabama, no other reason.

The saddest part is he's not the best QB in the nation, and wasn't the best college football player in the nation, but it's really not based on the best player any longer, it's the best media campaign.

Marquis Lee (and being an Oregon fan, I'm far from a USC fan) was the best player in college football this year, but due to the fact receivers don't touch the ball every down, and USC lost 5 games because they have a crappy coach ... he really wasn't in consideration.
    The Heisman is almost never handed out to the best player. It's usually a premier player on one of the top 10 teams because they have the supporting cast to allow the big numbers/plays to accumulate.

But I can see why Manziel won it. He turned many nothing/broken plays into something, all while against the perceived superior defenses of the SEC. He led an A&M offense that is the highest ranked SEC offense in the country in just about every offensive category (Bama has them in passing efficiency). They avg more total yards per game than Oregon (?!?), and did it with 8 SEC games. Pretty impressive for a rs frosh QB in an offense of that caliber.

Terrance Williams from Baylor had a better year than Lee (80 more yards receiving in 17 less touches, 2 less TDs). But you're right, Kiffen screwed USC's pooch, which screwed Lee's visibility & numbers.

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Teo was the most valuable player in the country. Heart and soul of the defense, the heart and soul of the #1 team. But no Defensive player will ever get it again unless they have point-atable stats.....INT's for TD's etc.

Manzel won because all the other contenders went backwards and he came thru on national TV at the biggest moment. Not the first time, won't be the last.

How often Does the Heisman get it right?

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Get me to In&Out
    Quote Originally Posted by Len J View Post
    Teo was the most valuable player in the country. Heart and soul of the defense, the heart and soul of the #1 team. But no Defensive player will ever get it again unless they have point-atable stats.....INT's for TD's etc.

Manzel won because all the other contenders went backwards and he came thru on national TV at the biggest moment. Not the first time, won't be the last.

How often Does the Heisman get it right?

Len
    Agree with this Len. Too many people remember Peyton Manning losing it to Charles Woodson. That was an oops for sure.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

What did you say? Huh?
    Friggin Aggies.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Heisman criteria:
    Offensive player most hyped by ESPN

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Sucks that the Heisman is now based on your last two games of the season. Klein doesn't lose to Baylor, he wins.

It will be impossible to be around Aggies now, for the next..........oh hell, til the end of the world.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hershel Walker should have won the Heisman his freshman year, but they have never awarded it to a frosh until now. Unlike Johnny TD, Hershel not only led his team to the SEC championship but the national championship .... against Notre Dame (ahem).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel2 View Post
    Hershel Walker should have won the Heisman his freshman year, but they have never awarded it to a frosh until now. Unlike Johnny TD, Hershel not only led his team to the SEC championship but the national championship .... against Notre Dame (ahem).
    Both he and Adrian Peterson were Freshman that should have won, but due to politics against voting for Freshman didn't win.
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

Not Banned

Manziel's stats

were better than Tebow and Newton on their Heisman years
    he became a team leader as a RS Freshman who in August was still fighting for the starting position
    he lead the Aggies to a 10-2 season in a tough division (or at least hyped as tough)
    he beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa

Walker was robbed
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Get me to In&Out
    Tebow and Newton both won National Championships though the year they won the Heisman. A&M didn't even get a major bowl game. Yes the Cotton Bowl is big to Texans, but a second tier bowl to the rest of Americans.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Manzell won because...a.) all the other potential offensive players went backwards in perception & b.) because his largest competition came from a defensive player.

No way a pure defensive player without scoring stats will ever win the award. Hell, even the statue itself is carrying a ball.

As to arguing that they somehow got it wrong........that's a fools errand. Here are the winners for the last 22 yrs....how many did they get right?

1990Detmer, TyTy DetmerBYUQuarterback1,48253.87%
    1991Howard, DesmondDesmond HowardMichiganWide receiver2,07775.50%
    1992Torretta, GinoGino TorrettaMiamiQuarterback1,40050.84%
    1993Ward, CharlieCharlie WardFlorida StateQuarterback1,74383.79%
    1994Salaam, RashaanRashaan SalaamColoradoRunning back1,74363.15%
    1995George, EddieEddie GeorgeOhio StateRunning back1,46052.84%
    1996Wuerffel, DannyDanny WuerffelFloridaQuarterback1,36349.38%
    1997Woodson, CharlesCharles WoodsonMichiganCornerback/Punt returner1,81565.69%
    1998Williams, RickyRicky WilliamsTexasRunning back2,35585.23%
    1999Dayne, RonRon DayneWisconsinRunning back2,04273.83%
    2000Weinke, ChrisChris WeinkeFlorida StateQuarterback1,62858.86%
    2001Crouch, EricEric CrouchNebraskaQuarterback77027.75%
    2002Palmer, CarsonCarson Palmer*USCQuarterback1,32848.01%
    2003White, JasonJason WhiteOklahomaQuarterback1,48153.54%
    2004Leinart, MattMatt LeinartUSCQuarterback1,32547.85%
    2005Bush, ReggieReggie Bush
    (vacated)[n 1]
    USCRunning back2,54191.77%
    2006Smith, TroyTroy SmithOhio StateQuarterback2,54091.63%
    2007Tebow, TimTim TebowFloridaQuarterback1,95770.52%
    2008Bradford, SamSam Bradford*OklahomaQuarterback1,72662.13%
    2009Ingram, Jr., MarkMark Ingram, Jr.AlabamaRunning back1,30446.99%
    2010Newton, CamCam Newton*AuburnQuarterback2,26381.55%
    2011Griffin III, RobertRobert Griffin IIIBaylorQuarterback1,68760.66%
    2012Manziel, JohnnyJohnny ManzielTexas A&MQuarterback2,02972.88%

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was under the impression that the Heisman went to the single player that impacted their team the most.

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    I was under the impression that the Heisman went to the single player that impacted their team the most.
    This quote is taken directly from the Heisman website:

"For the 78th time since its inception in 1935, the Heisman Memorial Trophy will be awarded to an individual designated as the outstanding college football player in the United States."

RoadBikeReview Member
    No way a pure defensive player without scoring stats will ever win the award. Hell, even the statue itself is carrying a ball.
    If Te'o had won the talking point would be, "No way will any freshman ever win this award." To act like this was simply gifted to Manziel (not saying that you are claiming that) is bordering on absurd. He had a great season and DIDN'T fade. If the other candidates did then it seems to say that ending a season strong is a difficult thing to do. I would argue that it is especially difficult for a QB who plays every offensive snap and runs the ball as often as he does. Collin Klein simply collapsed against Baylor, and more or less proved that he didn't deserve the Heisman. I was at the game (Baylor Alum) and watched him simply surrender the National Championship game to a team that he should have walked all over (see Geno Smith.)

Te'o had an incredible season, and had he won the Heisman I think it would have been well deserved. Had anyone other than Te'o or Manziel won I could understand significant Heisman blowback, but I feel there were two great candidates, and one of them was chosen the winner. Chapeau to him.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm glad the kid won it, because his play in front of my very own eyes that day at Bryant Denny stadium in Tuscaloosa, was convincing enough for me. He had other games where his talents were showcased as well. He's the bomb. Kinda goofy looking and sounding, but he can play the QB position.

Neither Bama or Notre Dame really had one player that stood head and shoulders above everyone else like Manziel. Both teams have great players all over the field, who will play and contribute at the next level, and I doubt Manziel ever will. But he deserved it this year.
    If confronted by a mountain lion, it's best to pretend to be as big as possible. But not big as in important, ie, "Do You Know Who I Am?".

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    This quote is taken directly from the Heisman website:

"For the 78th time since its inception in 1935, the Heisman Memorial Trophy will be awarded to an individual designated as the outstanding college football player in the United States."
    But it's been clear since it's inception that that isn't the case. It has always been the best offensive player....and up until this year, the best non-freshman offensive player.

Do you really believe that in all the years of the award, there was never a defensive player that deserved it based on that definition?

Len

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbaylor View Post
    If Te'o had won the talking point would be, "No way will any freshman ever win this award." To act like this was simply gifted to Manziel (not saying that you are claiming that) is bordering on absurd. He had a great season and DIDN'T fade. If the other candidates did then it seems to say that ending a season strong is a difficult thing to do. I would argue that it is especially difficult for a QB who plays every offensive snap and runs the ball as often as he does. Collin Klein simply collapsed against Baylor, and more or less proved that he didn't deserve the Heisman. I was at the game (Baylor Alum) and watched him simply surrender the National Championship game to a team that he should have walked all over (see Geno Smith.)

Te'o had an incredible season, and had he won the Heisman I think it would have been well deserved. Had anyone other than Te'o or Manziel won I could understand significant Heisman blowback, but I feel there were two great candidates, and one of them was chosen the winner. Chapeau to him.
    Let me try to be clearer. If there had been another upperclassman with similar results (or even debatably similar results)....Manzell would not have won. There was no real offensive alternative.

I agree w your last sentance.

len

RoadBikeReview Member
    As to arguing that they somehow got it wrong........that's a fools errand. Here are the winners for the last 22 yrs....how many did they get right?
    It kind of makes you wonder if the voters actually watch football sometimes doesn't it?
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118