Page 1 of 12 123 ... LastLast
    Flash! ah–ahhh!

Mazda 3 hatch vs Honda Fit vs VW Golf/Jetta diesels vs Subie Impreza(non-WRX)

Am now car shoppin'. Anyone drive all or most of these? What were your impressions?

The Fit and VWs each already have a strike against 'em, from what I understand... Fit is allegedly not a great freeway car, and I worry 'bout the V-dubs' long-term reliability.

But if they're absolutely great in all other ways, maybe they can pip the Mazda and the Subie for me, who seem to be the front-runners currently.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: About Faux News/the Right-Wing Bubble™ – the first thing a cult does is claim that everyone else is lying to you.

Kitty:
    ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its going to be fun in PO after Election Day

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    around here the vote would be for the Sube or the Mazda. Fit is not in this category.

Ricardo Cabeza
    I vote for the Buick
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock
    Am now car shoppin'. Anyone drive all or most of these? What were your impressions?

The Fit and VWs each already have a strike against 'em, from what I understand... Fit is allegedly not a great freeway car, and I worry 'bout the V-dubs' long-term reliability.

But if they're absolutely great in all other ways, maybe they can pip the Mazda and the Subie for me, who seem to be the front-runners currently.
    Purchased a new Subaru Impreza Outback Sport in late July (for the wife). Replaced a '02 Forester with a blown head gasket (my car), wife had driven an '03 Outback wagon, now mine.

- Not quite as well refined as the Outback wagon/Legacy series, but to be expected as it's marketed differently. Still a solid riding vehicle though.

- Very peppy car, 4 door, great rear leg room, pretty comfortable seats, but again not as refined as the bigger Outback as in no power or heated seats. Very good handling car, very stable and precise. Tires/rims are "performance" oriented, not off-road oriented. Clearance is a bit less then the larger Outback.

- Decent gas mileage - 22-24 round town.

- Nice dash functionality, except I hate the $550 satellite radio system, the stock radio was "XM/Sirrius ready" which added the tuner and a 3"x3" antenna to the inside of the passenger side windshield. Should of had them take the friggin thing out. The functionality of the XM radio sucks and is far inferior to what I purchased years ago as an add-on from Best Buys.

- All in all we got what we wanted and paid less for a 2011 then the Forester in 2002. Subaru quality is excellent, very safe car.

SB

Trying to return....
    Jun 2005
    Having owned both Mazda3 and Impreza, unless you really need the AWD, go with the Mazda.

Disclaimer: Nothing against Subaru, wife's current drive is a 2010 Forester.

Flash! ah–ahhh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_from_SA
    Having owned both Mazda3 and Impreza, unless you really need the AWD, go with the Mazda.
    Can you give me more flavor/detail on this? What are the differences you really noticed?
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: About Faux News/the Right-Wing Bubble™ – the first thing a cult does is claim that everyone else is lying to you.

Kitty:
    ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its going to be fun in PO after Election Day

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

hold my beer n watch this
    I've owned a Jetta TDI before. Consistant 46-48 mpg on a 30 mile mixed commute. I broke 50 pretty regularly in the spring/fall with the AC off. I sold it because it was getting long in the tooth and I absolutely did not trust the local dealership service. I had no problems with the car while I ownded it except for a sensor going out. The difference in the quoted price from the local dealer and the one that fixed the car was $2000 dollars.

Don't discount the suby too soon. We just picked up a Forester for the spousal unit. 5 speed, it's getting 24-25 around town and I broke 30 on the interstate with the AC off. So far I'm impressed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Have a Forester and like the higher ground clearance and higher seating position over the Mazda 3. My aging knees would have me falling into the Mazda 3. The AWD is not really necessary on the Gulf coast but the higher gc is nice for the 1-3 " per hour rains and street floodng around here. The Impeza Outback would be similar. I do wish my Subaru would get better milage but otherwise it is my favorite car since my 83 GTI.
    I had 3 VW's and had AC problems in each one. I have had no problems with my Subaru in 4 years.

Folding the seat down gets my bike (59 cm) in without taking off the wheels. If I remember right, The Subaru Impreza interior is slightly wider than the Mazda 3.
    The Mazda3 wold havebeen my 2nd choice

your text here
    i looked at the subie but the mileage wasnt up there. the fit was a bit smaller from what i read, and it was more expensive for a comparable mazda (engine size, al wheels, power windows, keyless entry).

i got a mazda3 4door. two things i dont like:
    1) loud in the rain
    2) paint chips. but that could be due to IL road construction.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd only go Subie if you need the AWD. Fit is nice but a bit small for my tastes. Mazda3 is decent but kind of fugly (previous gen was much better looking). VW diesels are kind of spendy and dicey on the long term reliabilty. I'd take a Ford Fusion over any of those.

Low rep power
    I have a little over 90K worth of experience in a Mazda 3,and have been totally delighted with it (except for the AC, which kind of sucks, but I think they've gotten way better since the '04s). It's a 4-dr, not a hatch, but the seats fold if necessary. I do lots of snow driving, and run blizzaks in the winter, and don't feel the need for AWD.

Low rep power
    OK- edit button won't work, so this really isn't a double post- this has also been the most trouble-free vehicle I've ever owned- so far, the "repair" work I've needed to do is a set of brakes

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have an 08 Subaru Forester with a little over 50k on it. I have to say I'm vary happy with the car. Its grate in the snow with the right tires. And it handles like a sports car compared to my 96 Tacoma. I would have gotten an Impreza but they are a bit small and the insurance is higher. The forester is really an Impreza under the skin. I looked at all the same cars when I got mine and I'm happy with the choice. My only regret is not getting the stick. But I got the active AWD with the auto.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Ford Fiesta or wait for the new Focus. Otherwise from your list I would get the Subaru then the TDI Golf, won't consider the other Japanese cars.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I'm waiting for the Fiat 500.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I'd probably take the Alfa MiTo over the Fiat, over the Abarth verison even.

Custom User Title
    TDI Golf. Check out VWVortex and Diesel Geek for tons of VW info.

banned
    Got an 03 impreza outback sport. It's been bomb-proof. If you get lots of snow it is completely worth it. So far, almost no repairs- just oil, brakes and tires- the usual consumables.

Downside to the Subaru- mine (which is 7 years old now) is small. The back seat is very small. The cargo area is small with the seats up. It gets lousy gas mileage for something so small.

Upsides- it's fun to drive. It's quieter on the freeway than my wife's 07 civic. The interior and build quality are really nice- doesn't feel cheap. It's got full length rails on the roof which makes it great for hauling bikes and boats and roof boxes. You may need a roof box, though.

If Subaru hadn't completely f'd up the full size outback, I'd be looking at replacing my sport with the big model in a year or two.

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    I can tell you which one will get the better mileage.

We love our Jetta TDI--and we traded in a Mini to get it. It drives great, looks good (if a little more grown up than I thought we'd ever have), plenty of space, and such great mileage without any sacrifice in driveability. So far we haven't had any major mechanicals. We had a bad sensor right away, and the stock tires were crap, but nothing at all in the year since.

Of course, we don't drive much, so maybe someone who asks more from their car would have more reliability issues. VW definitely doesn't have the most awesome rep for that these days. Never heard anything bad about reliability in TDI engines, though.

The Pathfinder we had was a complete piece of sh*t in terms of body and trim reliability (interior trim would warp and fall off, power window mechanisms were so flimsy I used to buy them two at a time), so the TDI has already far outperformed that one.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

hit it
    Ford F-150 or Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4, lift kit, 37's.

Screw gas mileage; run sh!t over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
    But I'm not a douche. I'm awesome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buck-50

If Subaru hadn't completely f'd up the full size outback, I'd be looking at replacing my sport with the big model in a year or two.
    Hey, I lOVE the new Bigger OB and the new design is a hit. the new styling is selling like crazy and much, much better than the previous OB did. Sales figures show this.

Sure, its not for everyone, but what car is?

Its a GREAT car, with almost as much room as my Ford Explorer and I am getting 22.3 MPG in the city and 38 MPG on the Hwy!

I guess the only complaint for most, is the new roof rails. But Subaru, Thule and Yakima make rack now and adapters to fit. I prefer the new design that stows away the cross bars when not in use.

For the money, the new OB is a steal. UNless you get a 3.6 Limited, then its over=priced for what it is. I love the new 8.7 ground clearance!!
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Impreza is VERY small interior wise. I looked at one. VW TDI engines are great!
    Not a Mazda engine fan. My neighbors have a Mazda 5 Wagon(?) and its ok in terms of engine the last year or so. Just little minor issues. But I like Mazda car designs.

I love the new Jetta's looks.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

Moderatus Puisne
    For an NNC forum-type-place, the car threads shore getta lotta replies. nttawwt.

still shedding season
    Quote Originally Posted by FlynG
    I've owned a Jetta TDI before. Consistant 46-48 mpg on a 30 mile mixed commute. I broke 50 pretty regularly in the spring/fall with the AC off.
    Same for me and mine was an '03 - what year was yours? I'm not sure the newer ones get this kind of mileage. Bigger, heavier car with a more powerful engine...

Read up on TDI's at tdiclub.com and find a "trusted" local mechanic before buying one. Might want to talk to them and pick their brain about what you're getting into before buying. It's not scary, just a little different.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    Sure, its not for everyone, but what car is?
    Sadly, it's just not for me. Loved the smaller, sleeker previous bodystyle.

Which is sad.

Lucky for me, Ford will be bringing the Euro styled, Euro-designed ford focus 5-door to the US next year. That's a purty looking car.

Page 1 of 12 123 ... LastLast