RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002

Is it me or are bicycle mechanics about the friendliest people you can meet?

I do most of my wrenching and don't visit my LBS as much as I did when I got started cycling in the 90's. So this afternoon I stopped by my LBS to see what I needed to use my old Thule fairing (from my old square bars) to the newer aero bars. I first started talking to one mechanic, then two, then one of the salesman got in and even had to call their Thule rep on the phone.

While they weren't able to find an immediate solution, they were all so willing to help and never was there a moment that would indicate that I was wasting their time even when we were looking at Thule spare parts worth a total of $15 which they didn't even have but I had such a great time talking to them.

I walked out of there feeling I could hang out there all day! I was only there for about 30 minutes but I truly enjoyed the time and never felt like that walking out of any other store. So my question to you all is it just me or are bicycle shop folks about the friendliest people you can meet?

a real member's member
    it's about 70/30.

certainly better than the gen pop.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Russian Troll Farmer
    My experiences say that probably 1/2 of them have 'issues' which keep them from moving into better paying jobs. Locally, I know of 3 long-time mechanics and 1 store owner who are just absolute pr!cks.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

BCP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Pretty similar experience at the two shops I've used. Even after being off the bike for three years they were all very friendly and helpful as if I'd been their most regular customer. Current bike did not come from either shop, but have gone out of their way on several occasions to help with parts and service despite not spending big bucks there.