welcome to the jungle

meanwhile, in professional golf...

...Webb Simpson puts on a spectacular show at The Players Championship (the unofficial 'fifth major'), blowing away the field with a cumulative 18 under par, the best winning score in 22 years.

Yet, somehow, up until Sunday at least, Simpson still gets less attention than Tiger Woods. Who finished tied for 11th place, seven strokes back (and was even that close only 'cuz Simpson double-bogeyed the final hole).

Sooo... sigh. Get over it, golf. You can scream "TIGER'S BACK!!!!" for the umpteenth time and until the cows come home, drop dead, and return to the soil from when they came, and it still ain't gonna happen.

And isn't it boring to always be wrong about that?

Wake me when Tiger actually wins another major, mmkay? Last one was ten years ago. Thanks.

And congrats to Webb Simpson, the actual real story of the weekend.

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

a real member's member
    tiger might've played his best golf since 2013/2014. he's in the top ten in 7 categories. people are saying he's finally back, and it sure looked it for most of the day yesterday. it was great to see. just as it was great to see webb win again after an almost five year drought.

even better to see was the snowman spieth made on 18. video
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Proud luddite
    I'm still waiting for John Daly's comeback. The sport needs more golfers like him.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    I'm still waiting for John Daly's comeback.
    check out the champions tour. he has 5 top tens and over $1m in prize money since turning 50 in 2016.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Tiger Woods...? meh.

never cared for his theatrics...the whole fist-pumping thing got really tiresome.

I'd cheer for just about anyone on the course over him.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Darling of The Lounge
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    Tiger Woods...? meh.

never cared for his theatrics...the whole fist-pumping thing got really tiresome.

I'd cheer for just about anyone on the course over him.

The Original Golf Showman:

Tiger has got nothing on Chi Chi

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    "Golf", as in the industry promotes Tiger Woods because he is a money making machine.

No one is tuning in the golf channel to watch Webb Simpson (or anyone else). Tiger Woods making a comeback, real or imagined, would bring in a *lot* of money.

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post

No one is tuning in the golf channel to watch Webb Simpson (or anyone else).
    Add Alexandra Daddario to the PGA and Ill watch it.

welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    "Golf", as in the industry promotes Tiger Woods because he is a money making machine.

No one is tuning in the golf channel to watch Webb Simpson (or anyone else). Tiger Woods making a comeback, real or imagined, would bring in a *lot* of money.
    Of course, and I think we all understand this. But, a couple of things:

1- How bad does it blow up the credibility of the media when they scream "TIGER'S BACK!!!" every. single. time. the guy has a single good round... and then goes on to come *nowhere near* winning?

See 'the boy who cried wolf'. Times eleventy.

2- Golf/the PGA has a 'Tiger problem'. In that, if your #1 TV draw is an often-injured 42 year-old guy who hasn't won a major since Bush was President (yes really, look it up), you haven't really been at all successful in setting up pro golf for a 'post-Tiger' world.

IOW, your other PGA stars and up-and-coming young talent isn't getting any media traction/pull, in part because Tiger's still sucking up a lot of the oxygen, and you and the golf media are complicit in this. What are you going to do when Tiger finally throws in the towel and/or ppl finally realize that he really *isn't* going to make a big comeback?

Actually, a lot of ppl are already figuring that out, as the TV ratings have been dropping quite a bit in recent years.

Or maybe it's just a matter of realizing that there are 'golf fans' and there are 'Tiger fans', and there is little hope of converting 'Tiger fans' into 'golf fans'. So maybe it's time to stop chasing that particular unicorn?

I dunno. I think the PGA and golf media continue to hope against hope that Tiger will somehow make that 'miracle comeback' they keep pimping (that never really happens), or that they can find 'the next Tiger', i.e. someone as dominant and as charismatic as he once was.

Both seem like relatively remote possibilities.

So, what do you do then that's realistic that would shore up interest in golf... a pastime that has been suffering from a pretty severe decline in popularity in recent years?

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

welcome to the jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    Add Alexandra Daddario to the PGA and Ill watch it.
    Miss Daddario approves of your comment.

Srsly though, her family seems to be hoarding an unfair share of the 'good looks' genes. She has a brother and a sister who are both as hawt as she is. It's actually almost annoying.

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Miss Daddario approves of your comment.

Srsly though, her family seems to be hoarding an unfair share of the 'good looks' genes. She has a brother and a sister who are both as hawt as she is. It's actually almost annoying.

Put them ALL on the PGA tour then! Ratings will skyrocket!

RoadBikeReview Member
    one of my uncles (black sheep of the family type person) was somewhat of a golf hustler...liked to play for money.

as a kid, to earn a buck (literally $1), I caddied for him one time at Ascarate Golf Course (El Paso, TX).

a mexican dude agreed to play and proceeded to take his cash. some guy named Lee Trevino...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'