Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Meniscus surgery saved my life

On Tuesday I had miniscus surgery. Woke up feeling terrible. Rushed into bypass surgery 4 100 percent clogged arteries. For 20 years was told that it was reflux. The last doctor told me that it was anxiety. Spoke to surgeon today. He said that I will soon be able to do anything that I want to after suffering 20 years of chest pain. How duo thank doctors who saved your life and your wife back her husband?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Wow, that's awesome and scary.

During the last century I rode I met a guy who had had bypass surgery a couple months before. He said it was amazing how great he felt following the surgery - he had become used to his impairment as being his "normal".

I would send that doc some hookers and blow.

half-fast
    Whoa.

Anyhow, glad you are on the right side of the grass.

You should send the bill to the joker that couldn't fix the heartburn.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    At this point all I can think of Is going home and being with my wife. That should happen today or tomorrow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yea, but how's your knee?

Seriously though, glad it was caught in time. That's awful your MD ascribed it to reflux for so long. Get better soon!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Similar experience here. Went in for a small cyst on my ankle and was told during my exam to see a cardiologist. I had to have my aortic valve replaced as I was born with a bi-cuspid valve rather than a normal tri-cuspid aortic valve. The valve had calcified during 50+ years of life and was only opening 10-15%. Had it not been for good aerobic fitness, I would have been long gone. Here's something to keep in mind. I was donating blood every 8 weeks for years and BP was always great 110/60's or thereabout. BP readings measure pressure after it leaves the heart. Inside the heart, my BP was nearly 200 and that crap will kill you. Got an oversized bovine valve and all is good. No meds required. Keep cycling and active.

We have met the enemy...
    Hats off to the doctors that figured it out!

After my own recent adventure, I have boundless respect for the good doctors out there, and their ability to fix stuff.
    Tolerance is a very dull virtue. It is boring. Unlike love, it has always had a bad press. It is negative. It merely means putting up with people, being able to stand things.
    E. M. Forster

RoadBikeReview Member
    dodged a bullet man. congratulations. make something of it. and at least get your MD a nice thank you card. he/she will share it with their staff. that stuff is always appreciated. none of your care providers suggesting a chest work up? ultrasound?
    I'd suggest start shopping around for a new PCP....
    Not banned yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Wow, that's awesome and scary.

During the last century I rode I met a guy who had had bypass surgery a couple months before. He said it was amazing how great he felt following the surgery - he had become used to his impairment as being his "normal".

I would send that doc some hookers and blow.
    in med terms its referred to as a 'response shift' - internal recalibration of your health state. you can actually measure it through a variety of patient surveys.
    Not banned yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    There were many who participated. The surgical team that did my knee. That was strictly an orthopedic hospital. They brought me a cross the street to a cardiac wing. Yesterday while walking in the wing, I encountered one surgeon's. He said that I am a strong and healthy man. How can that be? I am 70 years old and had 4 blocked vessels taken care of.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by daniell View Post
    There were many who participated. The surgical team that did my knee. That was strictly an orthopedic hospital. They brought me a cross the street to a cardiac wing. Yesterday while walking in the wing, I encountered one surgeon's. He said that I am a strong and healthy man. How can that be? I am 70 years old and had 4 blocked vessels taken care of.
    It means you are in way better shape than most people he operates on. And that you have a great chance to make a fast and full recovery. IOW, relatively strong and healthy.

There are many people who are close to death who are in otherwise great shape, due to some issue they don't know about. Consider yourself very, very lucky and use your extra time to the fullest!
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    Thanks to all. I just got word.coming home today.

Seat's not level
    On Tuesday I had miniscus surgery. Woke up feeling terrible. Rushed into bypass surgery 4 100 percent clogged arteries. For 20 years was told that it was reflux. The last doctor told me that it was anxiety. Spoke to surgeon today. He said that I will soon be able to do anything that I want to after suffering 20 years of chest pain. How duo thank doctors who saved your life and your wife back her husband?
    Yea, but how's the bike? :-)

Very cool that they found the blockages. Do all the PT and enjoy the new knee and blood flow.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

half-fast
    Thanks to all. I just got word.coming home today.
    I bet you are glad for that.

Misfit Toy
    Stuff like this scares the hell out of me. I'm so glad you're OK daniell, wishing you many more years of riding and fun.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    I now have two promises to keep, that I made myself if I got out of the hospital alive.
    I will order the spokes necessary to rebuild my rear wheel. I already have the rim.
    I will build two new computers. One for my wife and one for myself. My wife better get used to Linux. That is what she is getting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    Yesterday I saw the surgeon. He said that I had a slight heart attack that I recovered well from. He put no restrictions on my activities. Now depression has set in. I can no longer look at the bikes. I feel so vulnerable having had a heart attack. Is it possible to have an active life afterwards? Yesterday I walked a few blocks with my wife. For the first time in many years, the heartburn was no longer present. Today I must deal with another stress. My wife goes for her scheduled scan to assure that the her Uterine cancer no longer present. Sometimes things are just overwhelming for me.

Thanks for listening

gazing from the shadows
    Now depression has set in. I can no longer look at the bikes. I feel so vulnerable having had a heart attack. Is it possible to have an active life afterwards?
    Depression is normal. That is often the case after any major life event, and not just the bad ones. Consider reading some experiences of others who have found themselves where you are without warning. SCAA | Survivors if you want to read some, or join a group near you if you, that can help get you through the process more smoothly.

It is not only possible to have an active life afterwards, it is medically indicated. Exercise is what you should be doing, though it will take a while to get back up to speed.

Yesterday I walked a few blocks with my wife. For the first time in many years, the heartburn was no longer present.
    Focus on that. You don't have the long standing problem you used to have, that was a symptom of potential death. You did not know that at the time of course, but it's not there anymore. So focus on THAT, not what COULD have happened to you.

Consider this event a reboot, that will extend your life. You get to live life to the fullest again, and should have plenty of time to ride, and do everything else you want to do. Once you get back on track.

But you won't ever think of yourself in the same way. You are a cardiac survivor, and always will be. Focus on the survival part, the recovery part, the living part. And the cardiac part will just be part of what made you who you are.

Best wishes for your wife's scan, as well as your continuing recovery.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Depression is normal. That is often the case after any major life event, and not just the bad ones. Consider reading some experiences of others who have found themselves where you are without warning. SCAA | Survivors if you want to read some, or join a group near you if you, that can help get you through the process more smoothly.

It is not only possible to have an active life afterwards, it is medically indicated. Exercise is what you should be doing, though it will take a while to get back up to speed.

Focus on that. You don't have the long standing problem you used to have, that was a symptom of potential death. You did not know that at the time of course, but it's not there anymore. So focus on THAT, not what COULD have happened to you.

Consider this event a reboot, that will extend your life. You get to live life to the fullest again, and should have plenty of time to ride, and do everything else you want to do. Once you get back on track.

But you won't ever think of yourself in the same way. You are a cardiac survivor, and always will be. Focus on the survival part, the recovery part, the living part. And the cardiac part will just be part of what made you who you are.

Best wishes for your wife's scan, as well as your continuing recovery.
    Thanks for your kind words. I just heard from my wife. The scan came back clean.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    I hope that the cardiologist's words ring true. He said that when the weather gets warmer, this will be a distant memory, and that I can then thank him for saving my life.

half-fast
    I bet the doc is right, and once you get some sunshine and warm spring days under your belt, things will feel better. And good news on the good news.

Keep on keepin on.

Misfit Toy
    Thanks for your kind words. I just heard from my wife. The scan came back clean.
    YAY!!!!!!!!!

When my dad had bypass surgery, a friend warned me that there was a period of depression and a bit of anger. It did pass, he continued on with his exercise regime. Be kind to yourself, it might take a bit of time, but I believe you will be OK.

Misfit Toy
    He's right. Just don't be like me and burst into tears when you thank him.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    Presently my principal discomfort is coming from the knee surgery. The doctor said that I need a couple of months of PT.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    He's right. Just don't be like me and burst into tears when you thank him.
    Awww that sounds normal to me!! Relief, validation, anxiety, excitement.......that's a sh!tton of emotions to handle at once. I cry over stupid little things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast