Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hanging 10 bra

Miami LEO vs Florida Highway patrol

Haha, I love the Miami officers remark, I didnt know you were behind me! HAHA

Master debator.
    Good that they caught him. Maybe help alleviate the attitude of most leo's "do as I say, not as I do".
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

What did you say? Huh?
    "...I was late"
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

Glue Sniffer
    I almost didn't watch on account of seeing another cop video that's only slightly different from all the others, but yeah, that made me pretty happy.

Having lived down there, it was insane what you'd see *some* of the officers do, especially when it came to tailgating, speeding, and generally intimidating people on the road. It was nice to see the FHP officer with her priorities very, very clear and explaining that he was endangering the people he was supposed to be protecting.
    Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use.

Yup, I've geeked out and started a blog: www.adventuresinprocreating.blogspot.com

Uw zadel is niet waterpas
    Good for the arresting officer. She deserves a medal or other pat on the back.

banned
    Oct 2011
    Wow I'm happily shocked that there is one good cop out there, I'm disgusted that the arrested cop is getting off with a minor moving violation, not shocked at all however. Sickening.

banned
    In his defense LEO's with flashing lights aren't as visible as you might think. He was focused on navigating his way through traffic and not the rear view mirror. As for the "reckless driving" I doubt it will stick. He'll get a short suspension, lose the part time gig and be back on the streets.

She sounded like an officer in need of therapy. Her tone was a bit panicked. "Speeds in excess of 120" is too easy in a car built to handle it and if she's not comfy with that she should get a Cushman and start writing parking tickets.

Moderatus Puisne
    I watched the video and read the text, but, could not hear the audio.

I don't know what to make of it. It looks as though there is more to this story than I am aware of. I am curious what, if anything, happened in court following the incident. The text made it sound like inter-agency bickering -- if the patrolwoman really was concerned for the safety of those around the miami cop, then I am happy.

Was surprised that the Miami officer said anything at all. I know if I were in his shoes I'd just ask to talk to my union legal adviser (or whatever the official term for that is).

In my area there are sections of freeway and state highway within cities where speeding is common. The highway patrol and the local city cops argue about who gets to patrol this section -- and, thus, earn the ticket revenue. Have heard stories from members of one department about the other intentionally disrupting their enforcement, e.g. setting up a very obvious speed trap a couple of hundred yards up the road from the well-concealed one of the other department.

Glue Sniffer
    Quote Originally Posted by TWB8s View Post
    Her tone was a bit panicked. "Speeds in excess of 120" is too easy in a car built to handle it and if she's not comfy with that she should get a Cushman and start writing parking tickets.
    Indeed it was, but I think many cops seeing the same kind of driving combined with the cruiser not pulling over for four miles would, like the FHP did, consider the possibility that the cruiser had been stolen.

She had to pull the suspect over assuming that was the case. When she verified that it was not, she was just pissed at his disregard for others.

Unfortunately, it's difficult with a female's voice to be loud and authoritative without occasionally getting screechy. I think a deeper voice with the same tone would have sounded less "panicky" simply on account of the deepness.
    Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use.

Yup, I've geeked out and started a blog: www.adventuresinprocreating.blogspot.com

Moderatus Puisne

Inter-agency communications?

One of the things that 9/11 highlighted was the inability of different police and fire agencies to communicate with one another. Around here they are working on, but I do not know the progress of, things like a general emergency radio channel, and the like... that way she could just say, "hey Miami 123, tone if the F down if you're not running code, eh?"

I've read that this just happened, so the charges are still pending, but, I'd be shocked if it stuck, or if it goes down in history as anything other than one grumpy highway patrolwoman.

Perhaps that's too bad -- I've seen some pretty dangerous maneuvers vis a vis bicycles by area police cars, without lights and sirens. When a friend made a "pushing away" gesture at one after an unsafe pass, and said, "three feet, please!" the cop pulled him over and cited him for something like obstructing traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by catzilla View Post
    Indeed it was, but I think many cops seeing the same kind of driving combined with the cruiser not pulling over for four miles would, like the FHP did, consider the possibility that the cruiser had been stolen.

She had to pull the suspect over assuming that was the case. When she verified that it was not, she was just pissed at his disregard for others.

Unfortunately, it's difficult with a female's voice to be loud and authoritative without occasionally getting screechy. I think a deeper voice with the same tone would have sounded less "panicky" simply on account of the deepness.

banned
    Oct 2011
    In his defense LEO's with flashing lights aren't as visible as you might think. He was focused on navigating his way through traffic and not the rear view mirror. As for the "reckless driving" I doubt it will stick. He'll get a short suspension, lose the part time gig and be back on the streets.

She sounded like an officer in need of therapy. Her tone was a bit panicked. "Speeds in excess of 120" is too easy in a car built to handle it and if she's not comfy with that she should get a Cushman and start writing parking tickets.
    If I did that exact same thing I would be put in jail. Why is he so special?

Ride for the day!
    Lol!!!!!!!!

Anchored in an indigo moonlit bay
    Gold-eyed roun fires the sea thieves lay
    Morning... white shells and a pipe of clay
    As the wind filled their footsteps
    They were far... far... away.

ELP Pirates

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gloombuttercookie View Post
    If I did that exact same thing I would be put in jail. Why is he so special?
    Uh, oh, I don't know, how about, BECAUSE HE'S A COP AND YOU'RE NOT.

Although it is stretching the limits of professional courtesy.

About 10 years ago I was riding motorcycles with some friends, one of which was a LEO. We were lasered at 150 by a local Deputy Sheriff and we all immediately pulled over as soon as we saw his lights go on. Before he exited his squad we were all on our kickstands with our license and insurance in hand for him.

After he ran us for warrants he came back and told us to slow down and the only paperwork he did was to issue a written warning to the LEO in our group.

We talked about that later in the day and it isn't as benign as you might think. LEO's have to report even written warnings to their supervisor. Each department handles it differently but in his case he was made to take his Motorcycle Safety Course again or take a 7 day suspension.

As for the rest of us, we slowed down until we were in the next county.

Loves to Suffer
    After he ran us for warrants he came back and told us to slow down and the only paperwork he did was to issue a written warning to the LEO in our group.
    Thanks - as if I needed ANOTHER reason to dislike cops! BTW, I am pretty sure there is a federal investigation into that sort of thing in NY. In NY it is ticket fixing, but it sounds like the same sort of thing.

Police above the law = police state, No thanks.

banned
    Oct 2011
    Which is why he should be UPHOLDING THE LAW, not BREAKING IT. Cops should be held to a HIGHER standard not a scumbag lower one.

I can't believe any lowlife would try to back this guy up. Perhaps you are a cop? OR just a lame apologist?

Proud luddite

Although it is stretching the limits of professional courtesy.

About 10 years ago I was riding motorcycles with some friends, one of which was a LEO. We were lasered at 150 by a local Deputy Sheriff and we all immediately pulled over as soon as we saw his lights go on. Before he exited his squad we were all on our kickstands with our license and insurance in hand for him.

We talked about that later in the day and it isn't as benign as you might think. LEO's have to report even written warnings to their supervisor. Each department handles it differently but in his case he was made to take his Motorcycle Safety Course again or take a 7 day suspension.

As for the rest of us, we slowed down until we were in the next county.
    Holy carp....150 MPH?? Isn't there a point where excessive speeding like that becomes a higher level of crime, maybe a felony? You guys were lucky, not only to not have received tickets, but to be alive.

banned
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipp0 View Post
    Thanks - as if I needed ANOTHER reason to dislike cops! BTW, I am pretty sure there is a federal investigation into that sort of thing in NY. In NY it is ticket fixing, but it sounds like the same sort of thing.

Police above the law = police state, No thanks.
    Yes they are SWORN to UPHOLD the law! UPHOLD people, not give out or given special privileges, not break it themselves. Cops need to be held to a higher standard. HIGHER.

banned
    Which is why he should be UPHOLDING THE LAW, not BREAKING IT. Cops should be held to a HIGHER standard not a scumbag lower one.

I can't believe any lowlife would try to back this guy up. Perhaps you are a cop? OR just a lame apologist?
    No, I'm a realist. I agree with you he should be held to a higher standard and he should be punished accordingly. But the reality is that unless the community, Miami in this case, demands a just and fitting punishment be levied, the reality is he won't be held accountable.

LEO's break the law all the time. DUI/OWI's, domestic violence and other cases get swept away at their peer's discretion as long as the public isn't aware. I have a few friends and relatives who are police and fire and it's all part of their culture to see it as a "benefit/perk of the job".

I don't like it either but there's not much I can do about it. That's the reality of the situation.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    Holy carp....150 MPH?? Isn't there a point where excessive speeding like that becomes a higher level of crime, maybe a felony? You guys were lucky, not only to not have received tickets, but to be alive.

That's why I don't take the race bikes on the street any more. That and the flier I took at >160mph that put me in the ICU for 12 days. The Deputy that day was a motorcyclist, which was the chink in his armor. In reality we all expected to get ticked or arrested. Pulling over immediately was the responsible thing to do and it showed. Tickets and Lawyers are cheaper than hospital bills and motorcycle repairs.

Jack of no trades
    That was something you don't see every day. Usually that Thin Blue Line has each others backs regardless of what is done. I can't count the number of times I've seen state troopers on the highway tearing down the inside lane at over a 100mph, no light, no sirens. Reckless. And they ride people's asses until you move out of their way. If they're going to a wreck farther on up the highway, it's one thing, driving like an ass and almost causing others around you to wreck is another.

RoadBikeReview Member
    WW"J's"D....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes they are SWORN to UPHOLD the law! UPHOLD people, not give out or given special privileges, not break it themselves. Cops need to be held to a higher standard. HIGHER.
    Unfortunately...I have to agree with "TWB8s" on this.

My brother is a LEO and you would be astounded/disgusted at how much they protect/cover one another (most of the time)...and the crap they pull both while on duty and off duty.

With that said...it happens in most every other business as well. Tell me you don't think the military covers for their own when they screw up? How about the medical field? How about lawyers? Same goes for business....and on and on.

Yes, they should be held to "Higher" standards than the rest of us because they are supposed to be upholding the law...however, you have to remember they hire a certain type of individual to do that job...most of which have done a lot of "Not so legal/aggressive" things in their past (they just didn't get caught doing it, or did it before it counted).
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I
    "Speeds in excess of 120" is too easy in a car built to handle it.
    Police cruisers aren't really designed to handle it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    In his defense LEO's with flashing lights aren't as visible as you might think. He was focused on navigating his way through traffic and not the rear view mirror.
    Bullsh1t

She sounded like an officer in need of therapy. Her tone was a bit panicked.
    She sounded p1ssed off to me. Like she said, this wasn't a first time occurrence for that car.

"Speeds in excess of 120" is too easy in a car built to handle it and if she's not comfy with that she should get a Cushman and start writing parking tickets.
    The Crown Vic is a long way from the pointy end of automotive excellence. An evasive maneuver at 120mph in an antique like that may not have a good outcome. Regardless of the car, the speed differential is 50-60mph. There needs to be a very compelling reason to be driving at 120mph.

Anti-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    No, they're lucky they didn't get caught when they were going 170
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast