Thread: Mint.com

Misfit Toy

Mint.com

Anyone using this? Does it automatically reconcile your checking account?

I've been using MS Money forever, now my frakkin' bank (DIE BANK OF THE WEST!!!)has decided they will only support Quicken.

Hell, maybe I should just change banks.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

RoadBikeReview Member
    Maybe you should just use Quicken ( Faithful user of about 15 years and I worked for them for about 17 years) PS I think Mint is owned by Intuit (the makers of Quicken)
    Tomorrows battle is won during today's practice. - Samurai maxim

In the course of achieving anything, nothing is more important than persistence.

Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret!.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You're still using Microsoft Money? Didn't Microsoft pull the plug on that years ago? Not a surprise your bank doesn't want to deal with it - Microsoft doesn't want to either.

donuts?
    what is there to reconcile - if you can't keep a running tab on your outgoing money, you are spending too much money. where's my check ;)
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

Gronk SMASH!
    I use it, Snap. It's a good tool, but it's just that, a tool. Much like when you use a screwdriver to install a light switch, you still do the work. What Mint is good at for me is consolidating all of my financial information into one place so I can get a very easy comprehensive look at what's going on.

In order to really budget, though, there is some manual input of spending categories, etc., needed - and it's ongoing. The application will recognize grocery spending if the charge is at Safeway, for instance, but many items it doesn't know how to categorize other charges.

Also, it's basically only getting a read-only look at your bank information, so it doesn't show you anything your online banking site doesn't show. It does make some nice charts and stuff, though.
    ... and so it goes

Misfit Toy
    Maybe I'll check it out. I track my accounts, but also my mom's too. Since I'm listed on her accounts, I want to be sure I have a record of all of her spending. I doubt my siblings would ever question it, but I feel better knowing I can show where everything goes.

I ride in circles..
    I use mint... I have my student loans.. banks accounts.. and credit cards tied to it. Nice to see everything in once place. Plus with the Android app you can check your accounts really fast...
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

Call me a Fred
    I manually track my finances by using an OpenOffice spreadsheet. Right now, I've got it having 6 income categories and 27 expense categories. It's taken me a few years, but I've managed to get the Misc. expenses down to about 2% of total expenses.

I tried one of the canned programs and found that it was not flexible enough for my needs.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

Honey Smack!
    I use Mint. It's pretty nice to have a quick snapshot of everything, as well as how you are doing in your budget. We used it a lot when we first got married, but now we pretty much know what the other person spends, etc, so it's not tracked as judiciously.
    I know we just met and this is crazy....

Sticky Valentine
    I use Mint and have to give it credit for helping me get my finances under control after grad school.

Like others have mentioned: it's a tool. Depending on how you use it it can be very helpful or a waste, but at least it's free.

I've got everything linked to it and it's a quick and easy way to get the big picture on everything, and it also allows you to go in and take care of the details. Having it all on one page and grouped together really helps a lot. And looking at the pie charts on how much you spend and on what is a real eye opener.

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

donuts?
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio View Post
    I use Mint

but at least it's free.
    why is it free? i have a buddy who did the bulk of the programming for the site. he left out of disgust.

PM if you would like his name.
    -Steve

Born to chase Ducks
    Quote Originally Posted by asciibaron View Post
    why is it free? i have a buddy who did the bulk of the programming for the site. he left out of disgust.

It's free because "you" are the product.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    I cannot decide whether the seafoam green Lounge kit is cursed or a suit of armor that protects us...like a lycra St. Christopher's medal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Another similar option is YNAB (You Need A Budget). We've been using it for ~6 months, and have saved a tremendous amount of money and stress.

Sticky Valentine

I assume it's free because of all the CC, savings account, insurance, etc., that they advertise to you. Maybe I've just become that good at ignoring them, but they're not intrusive by my meter.

joe

donuts?
    I assume it's free because of all the CC, savings account, insurance, etc., that they advertise to you. Maybe I've just become that good at ignoring them, but they're not intrusive by my meter.

joe
    they are selling your purchasing and equity figures. they are making millions.
    -Steve

Sticky Valentine

Those bastards!

joe

I ride in circles..

Sweet.. they know I buy gas from this place.. and buy Dunkin Donuts coffee regularly. Sadly they also know my secrets...
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

donuts?
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoSoSwiM View Post
    Sweet.. they know I buy gas from this place.. and buy Dunkin Donuts coffee regularly. Sadly they also know my secrets...
    and how much you have in equity and your purchasing habits (times of day, locations) retailers and marketers would kill for that stuff.
    -Steve

Misfit Toy
    I'm not really worried about the budget side of things - I have no debt, my cc is paid off every month, etc. I need to be able to keep track of 2 checking accounts, and I'd prefer something that will reconcile them for me. (Enter ending date, enter ending balance - magic happens and my account is balanced)

Frog Whisperer
    hmmmmm I use excel and QuickBooks pro for my business and excel for my personal finances. My bank has online banking and to be honest, I could quit using excel for personal entirely. I just happen to like keeping in two separate places. I have never found a mistake from my bank.....ever
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

I'm not like anyone else
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    Anyone using this? Does it automatically reconcile your checking account?

I've been using MS Money forever, now my frakkin' bank (DIE BANK OF THE WEST!!!)has decided they will only support Quicken.

Hell, maybe I should just change banks.
    Hey... when I started using Quicken, it was the original release... "1.0". It was a pirated copy from a friend who, along with me, had written dBase then dBase III plus, then plus+plus programs to do what it did/does. I spent hours compiling, running, debugging, etc... and every time there was a change in my business, it had to be reformed, so to speak. After using the pirated copy for my "personal education" I decided to invest the $39 for a real, legal Quicken for business. That eventually expanded to QuickBooks Pro and I never looked back. It was intuitive (Intuit), simple, organized and in a language most anyone concerned about tracking finances, etc. can understand... I tried MS Money! Nope! My bank understood the Quicken format and it was a no brain-er from there on...

Switch... you won't be disappointed. There is a learning curve but it's worth the effort if you like things to be understandable and sharable... (is sharable a real word?)

Buddy agrees...

C...
    I love my coonhound!

Sticky Valentine
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaybike View Post
    Hey... when I started using Quicken, it was the original release... "1.0". It was a pirated copy from a friend who, along with me, had written dBase then dBase III plus, then plus+plus programs to do what it did/does. I spent hours compiling, running, debugging, etc... and every time there was a change in my business, it had to be reformed, so to speak. After using the pirated copy for my "personal education" I decided to invest the $39 for a real, legal Quicken for business. That eventually expanded to QuickBooks Pro and I never looked back. It was intuitive (Intuit), simple, organized and in a language most anyone concerned about tracking finances, etc. can understand... I tried MS Money! Nope! My bank understood the Quicken format and it was a no brain-er from there on...

Switch... you won't be disappointed. There is a learning curve but it's worth the effort if you like things to be understandable and sharable... (is sharable a real word?)

Buddy agrees...

C...

Holy crap, it's EDB.

joe

I'm not like anyone else
    Holy crap, it's EDB.

joe
    Yep... it's me!

I don't speak up often though... it's a twitchy thing!

Cheers... EDB
    I love my coonhound!