Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frog Whisperer

Mission accomplished

At the risk of being redundant, I'll say it again. The RBR administration has clearly demonstrated to me that they really do not want those of us who frequent with mobile devices to continue any longer. After over 9 years and over 34,000 posts and/or contributions, I am taking this personally. In my opinion, one of the PRIMARY reasons to have developed the new software was to enable ease of access on mobile, and it worked very well.....for a few days until is was apparently disabled from their end.

This interface is not acceptable to me on mobile and I will NOT purchase a 3rd party app at any price, just on principles alone.

With that all said, I will not be back here from my mobile devices, only from my real computers, which will eliminate at least 60% of my participation (including clicking on ads or links).

It was nice while it lasted.

I'll stop back once in a while if I can.

My friends here (and you know who you are), know how to get in touch with me.

Admin: thanks for you rapt attention to our concerns.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

We have met the enemy...
    This makes me sad--and it is completely preventable.

The value of this site to advertisers (as has been said by Mark, LenJ and others) is the high traffic and number of eyeballs. Without that, no amount of ads will matter, since their value is set by page views and click-throughs.

Putting up roadblocks for its most vigorous participants is short-sighted and I think mean-spirited.

T0G--I was so hoping this would be another triumphal story of large logs cut, or huge stones moved.
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mission accomplished-sad-day-lounge.jpg  

flinty-eyed moderator
    Tapatalk is very popular for a reason- spend a few bucks for something you will use a ton. You would not believe how many RBR users are on it now. When checking the "Who's online" function on one page I check (the "C"s) 27 of 50 users were on Tapatalk. Honestly why even make a mobile version at that point- the market has spoken. Sorry to ruin your rant. How how- "For the love of puppies can we set full screen as the default in our profile!"
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    Tapatalk is very popular for a reason- spend a few bucks for something you will use a ton. You would not believe how many RBR users are on it now. When checking the "Who's online" function on one page I check (the "C"s) 27 of 50 users were on Tapatalk. Honestly why even make a mobile version at that point- the market has spoken. Sorry to ruin your rant. How how- "For the love of puppies can we set full screen as the default in our profile!"
    Well, yeah, but there's a logic problem there. They are only on tapatalk in the first place to accommodate the site's long-standing inadequacies. If the mobile version had been maintained right along / continued, you'd see a lot fewer bothering with the shortcomings of tapatalk. It exists only as a workaround.

So essentially, People are expected to pay for the privilege of slower loads and more on-screen crap (and more data usage.) And that's seen as a way to drive traffic? Fascinating.

The native mobile format is a win for everyone. The tricky bit is to figure out the device, so that it's not enabled on PC's, so they see the full format. But that's pretty standard stuff nowadays. This is the only forum / news / social media site I frequent that doesn't seem to have managed it, most a long time ago.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

Not Banned
    I never post from a phone. I never surf the web from a phone. I'm just not interested so it isn't an issue for me. Sorry it is for many.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Misfit Toy
    Coolio, it's not just the mobile thing, it's Francis, Thien, Gregg etc who obviously don't give a damn about the people that use their site, or the issues they are having. Why else would posts sit for days or weeks in the Site Issues forum with NO ANSWER, except for jokes from Francis. WTF is Thien paid for anyway? To ignore issues and then carp at the mods? Remember when he was hired to much fanfare -- that lasted what, a month? When ad clicks begin to decrease, perhaps they'll pay attention.

Site usage is already dropping, I can only hope they begin to feel it in their bottom line soon.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

RoadBikeReview Member
    I demand a refund of my annual fee!

Oh, wait... Nevermind.
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

Windrider (Stubborn)

Mission accomplished

Funny post of the day.

Yea users, pay for a workaround with its own limitations to make up for the inadequacies of your site....inadequacies that most other forums dealt with long ago. Yea, that's a great business model.

The stats that matter is amount and quality of traffic over time and before and after the upgrade. My guess is traffic is down. May be up on Tapatalk but if its down overall, which statistic is more important?

There was something very good, very vibrant and very valuable on this site........but the lack of consideration of the users that created and maintained that value over the last few years and the proliferation of alternatives has killed that vibrancy. All you have to do is look at the lack of responses to posts in the site feedback forum to get a microcosm of how the admins feel about the users.......always a low priority.

As my wife says.......you plant peas, you get peas.

Keep giving valuable contributors a reason to go elsewhere and see what happens.

IMO.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Windrider (Stubborn)

Mission accomplished

Btw.....the attitude implicit in your post is exactly what's wrong with this site.

"Stop complaining and pay for a mediocre fix. We don't need to do anything different, you, the user are the problem."

IMO

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Velocipediologist
    how- "For the love of puppies can we set full screen as the default in our profile!"
    Knowing you're suffering right there with us is somehow comforting (not in a "stick it to Coolhand kinda way"). Admin's don't respond to a Mods complaints, which are the same complaints we have made for the past week. So what does that say about the Admins for this forum?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    I never post from a phone. I never surf the web from a phone. I'm just not interested so it isn't an issue for me. Sorry it is for many.
    Me either, anymore.

Especially now since I just downgraded to a basic phone plan from a smartphone. I have no immediate need anymore for mobile web, so it's WONDERFUL to get rid of ridiculous charges. Last month's cell bill...$15. Ahhhhh, sweet freedom from being permanently attached to the market-driven, snowballing ball and chain of unnecessary technology.

Yes, I'm a rebel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Len J View Post
    Btw.....the attitude implicit in your post is exactly what's wrong with this site.

"Stop complaining and pay for a mediocre fix. We don't need to do anything different, you, the user are the problem."

IMO

Len

Some of the basic complaints have been addressed and fixed (that I can see). No more hunting (without success usually) for simple font/size options when responding to a post with a quote, and the recycled smileys (at least as of today) they brought back that we're accustomed to, no longer default to those ridiculous grinning things.

The prior format was much more simplistic, intuitive, and user-friendly. But whatevs. It's not our site.

I will concur though, that the "community feel" we once enjoyed here went through the Salad Shooter, and what's come out the other end is...sh*t flying everywhere. Some of that is a FB issue. I like the FB Lounge well enough, but those of us that met and formed so many bonds and relationships here back when RBR was king, I know would like to see that community feel unique to RBR, not die with "upgrades."

Frog Whisperer
    actually I have zero problem with the site on a computer, I see very little if any difference. HOWEVER, I do not spend my day at a desk with a computer sitting on it and collect a paycheck for posting here. Computer time is un-compensated unless i write myself a check. When I refer to mobile devices, I am not referring exclusively to a phone. I use my tablet a LOT, it is far more energy efficient that even my laptop.

That's ok, you have not ruined my rant......actually this wasn't even a rant in the first place, just a simple statement of fact. I will be here FAR less as a result of the fact that as a user here, our requests are , if not ignored, at least not responded to. As for the couple of bucks thing....sh!t I have pissed away better money that that on stuff that wasn't as much fun. It is the principal. I have yet to see the admin's address the issue of WHY they disabled the mobile in the first place after installing new software that had it. If there is a GOOD reason, I'll listen.

Moderatus Puisne
    I'm not gonna rant, but, I think the native mobile format should be better, too - it's certainly influenced my frequency of visitation ...

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEndicottHiway View Post
    I will concur though, that the "community feel" we once enjoyed here went through the Salad Shooter, and what's come out the other end is...sh*t flying everywhere.
    You think any of the "just walk away" attitude comes from the fact that our concerns are not being responded to? Fine, we can't have a mobile interface, just give me a reason why not. "because I said so" doesn't work any better on me than it did on my kids.

edit: It's not even a matter of not liking the answer, it a matter of NOT being answered.

edit: I'm not walking away from the community, I can pick up my phone and call two dozen members here all over the country. I have more RBR member numbers on my phone than I do locals!
    Last edited by Touch0Gray; 12-22-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Sculpture on 2 wheels
    Bumped into this site and lv the interaction with people here. I'm not buying a tap talk and will bid my adieu first. Unfortunate

Happy Trails to you, until we meet again. Happy trails to you, keep smiling until then"

Frog Whisperer
    pm me with a contact address mk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Fine, we can't have a mobile interface, just give me a reason why not. "because I said so" doesn't work any better on me than it did on my kids.
    Easy answer! Too many people used the Mobile version on their computers to avoid ads. Even though we can use AdBlocker in most browsers. The previous RBR was ok in a mobile browser. The new version beyond blows!!!
    I have Tapatalk and don't mind the 1.99 for it.

But if the RBR powers were worried about losing eyes on their ads, messing with a good site and driving away members will do the same if not more. And for folks like me who are not on the RBR Lounge FB page, this site means a lot.

But hey, who are we the consumers and users of RBR to complain or pass on concerns.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

Frog Whisperer
    I know the reason, it is OBVIOUS but I want THEM to respond and tell me that. All I am looking for is honesty, which they seem uninterested in providing.

edit: btw, the mobile option existed for 3 days max.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    I know the reason, it is OBVIOUS but I want THEM to respond and tell me that. All I am looking for is honesty, which they seem uninterested in providing.

edit: btw, the mobile option existed for 3 days max.

People caught with their pants down are rarely interested getting honest. It's much easier (and cowardly) to flee out the back door. You can "expect" an honest response all you want...but what you should expect, are crickets.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEndicottHiway View Post
    People caught with their pants down are rarely interested getting honest. It's much easier (and cowardly) to flee out the back door. You can "expect" an honest response all you want...but what you should expect, are crickets.
    interestingly enough, I was in here when you posted this OR I would not have know there was a NEW post for 4 days (4 days is the new "instant") Oh.......and good luck trying to UNSUBSCRIBE to a thread.

Not only are we not getting an "honest" response, we are getting NOTHING resembling a response at all

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    interestingly enough, I was in here when you posted this OR I would not have know there was a NEW post for 4 days (4 days is the new "instant") Oh.......and good luck trying to UNSUBSCRIBE to a thread.

Not only are we not getting an "honest" response, we are getting NOTHING resembling a response at all
    I know, right?

Today I'm getting e-mails "so-and-so just replied" (to a subscribed thread). I click on the e-mail notification only to see they're posts I read several days ago. I was wondering about unsubscribing...guess you answered that.

Climbs like a sprinter...
    What are these mobile devices that you speak of?
    "It's turtles all the way down."

Frog Whisperer
    my android tablet is a mobile device

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast