Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Modern appliances suck

I replaced my washer and dryer with a new top of the line super efficient Amana washer and dryer. Got the really big one so I could do large loads. My wife was happy with how nice the set looks. Christ -- a load of laundry takes almost an hour to wash and another 45 minutes to dry. And the more you put in, the longer it takes. My 30 year old machine was faster and got clothes cleaner. Who cares about saving water? I live in VA -- it flows through my back yard and eventually into the ocean.

I own a rental house. The washer we replaced 14 months ago is broken. Needs a new control board that is backordered until March 26. Why does a washing machine need a computer inside it?

Why do water heaters wear out after 6 years? Why do air conditioners and furnaces only last 12 years? When did a roof get so effing expensive to replace? Maybe I need to move to Venice Beach and rent a place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Maybe I need to move to Venice Beach and rent a place.

Yeah a lot of the new stuff is junk. I always try to keep my old crap alive as long as possible. I think the new fridges are worth it, though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

get yourself one of these

This one still has the original computer. Its good exercise for the women-folk too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Modern appliances suck-wash_board_and_tub..jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    This one still has the original computer. Its good exercise for the women-folk too
    Somewhere there's a photo of my great grandmother, mother of four, in a sleeveless dress circa 1920. Good Lord, did she have powerful arms.

Proud luddite
    We bought a new fridge 3 years ago and have lost count of the number of service calls that we had to request...maybe at least a dozen of them. But it’s all under warranty and we bought the extended 5 year coverage so they’re stuck with us for a total of 7 years. I figure at some point they’ll just give us a new fridge to cut their losses. 😀

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Thankfully, I bought an extended warranty for the washer/dryer at the rental house. Otherwise, the washer would have been a complete loss. Had the GE guy out twice and the second time he said it needed a new control board which is a $700 part! The damn thing only cost $900. Warranty for both units combined was $400, which seems steep, but I'm glad we did it. I usually don't buy extended warranties.

I've had more than one appliance repair guy state that refrigerators are really bad these days because the technology is catching up with standards set in regulations. One guy told me that if my refrigerator goes, I'm would be best off buying a big cooler and a bag of ice.

azpeterb -- Did you buy a GE by chance?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Thankfully, I bought an extended warranty for the washer/dryer at the rental house. Otherwise, the washer would have been a complete loss. Had the GE guy out twice and the second time he said it needed a new control board which is a $700 part! The damn thing only cost $900. Warranty for both units combined was $400, which seems steep, but I'm glad we did it. I usually don't buy extended warranties.

I've had more than one appliance repair guy state that refrigerators are really bad these days because the technology is catching up with standards set in regulations. One guy told me that if my refrigerator goes, I'm would be best off buying a big cooler and a bag of ice.

That's been my experience with my kitchen appliances. If something is malfunctioning to the point that it is inoperable it's already not worth calling the repair man. My repair man hinted as much to me when he diagnosed my dishwasher. And my microwave. And my oven. And the refrigerator.

Master debator.
    Speed Queen.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    And my oven.
    You'd think ovens would be the exception. It's just a box with a door, heating element and thermometer. We remodelled out kitchen and my wife bought this big six burner Thermador range/oven that was $6000! Looks cool. So the first time i use the oven is to cook Thanksgiving dinner. Turkey sat in there for 4 hours and wasn't cooking. Turns out the door wasn't sealing and the damn thing wasn't heating up enough. So the next day I'm looking at the door and it falls off. It's a big, heavy door. I call a technician who tells me the hinges are bent and replaces them. Door still won't seal. I call the guy to come back, he replaces them again -- same thing. So I called a different guy and he tells me that the last guy I called was probably replacing the hinges with used hinges that were also bent!

One of the range burners won't light unless you blow on it -- I've just learned to live with that -- I've got 6 total. Oven takes 20 minutes to heat up, but I have been successfully getting Thanksgiving dinner done.

gazing from the shadows
    Why do water heaters wear out after 6 years?
    Depends a lot on your water, as well as how often it cycles. Harder water means shorter life. Draining the sediment out every once in a while can help a bit.

We got 15 out of the one that was in the house when we bought it, before it started "pinging", which is a sign of failure on it's way.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    You'd think ovens would be the exception.
    The oven (and 'fridge) are still in use as the malfunctions weren't such that they affected the primary functions.

Well, sort of. The oven has a design flaw where using the self-cleaning function trips some thermo-couple safety switch. That turns off the oven and locks the door closed until the repairman shows up. The repairman said, "oh, yeah. All of these things do this. I've been to A BUNCH of your neighbors' houses" (same builder saved $ buying appliances in bulk).

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Depends a lot on your water, as well as how often it cycles. Harder water means shorter life. Draining the sediment out every once in a while can help a bit.

We got 15 out of the one that was in the house when we bought it, before it started "pinging", which is a sign of failure on it's way.
    I recently had the water heater replaced. I did some research and it turns out that although there are many brands, there are only a few companies that manufacture the things. There is no high rated water heater on the market that I could find. Apparently, they all suck.

dir-t -- So you can't use the self cleaning cycle on your over? That sucks. That's the one feature that works really well on mine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    dir-t -- So you can't use the self cleaning cycle on your over? That sucks. That's the one feature that works really well on mine.
    I've been afraid to try it again but it's not that big of a deal. We don't bake that often and when we do we're just careful to take measures to avoid messes. The stove top and grill (18 yr-old Weber) do the heavy lifting in our kitchen.

hello
    Yeah, the new washers are a joke. They spend about 45 minutes "analyzing" how to proceed with the load and spend only 15 minutes for the actual wash, rinse, and spin cycle.
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

RoadBikeReview Member
    We live in Japan where most appliances for sale are local products albeit made in China. Our old Toshiba washer went 9 years of daily usage before the motor burnt out. We replaced it with a Mitsubishi about 8 years ago, bigger capacity and (touch wood) not a single issue. Refrigerator and Oven similar stories. over 10 years each and when they died we knew we had gotten our money's worth. European fully automatic coffee makers, a very different story but the Jura we have now is basically trouble free. I do have to filter all water that goes in and the filtering and cleaning/maintenance costs run about $200 a year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    I got a new hot water heater when I bought my house in July of 1999. Still going strong. Never drained it or even looked at it. AO Smith, natural gas unit. My village water is as hard as can be, based on my coffee maker issues, washer issues, dishwasher issues etc. So not sure if my data point means anything. However, and a big however, it needs replacement soon. What do I do? Spent big bucks for another AO smith unit > $800 or go with Lowes or home depot for $400. Decisions, decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Speed Queen.
    Yep, Speed Queen. Manufactured in Wisconsin instead of China. No frills industrial quality washers and dryers. Harder to find a dealer and a little pricier. My current dryer is a low end Whirlpool ($350) that is 16 years old and still works fine, i don't look forward to replacing it.

hello
    One thing about those old washers and dryers was that I was able to service them myself. And they were always the same parts that wore out or burned out that needed replacing.
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Warning:

Do NOT, whatever else you do, buy Maytag appliances!

I bought all new top of the line Maytag washer, dryer and dishwasher in 2010.

They all started literally breaking and falling apart exactly after the warranties ran out.

Why did I buy Maytag? The house I had before I moved here had a 50 year old Maytag washing machine that was flawless. Same with the dryer.

I don't know what fly by night outfit now makes Maytag. But it is shoddy, overpriced, under-supported, planned-obsolescence-in-one-year junk!

Side note: Energy Star, at least with the Maytag garbage I fight every time I do a load of laundry, is based on a ridiculous Rube Goldberg concoction of dodgy water and temperature sensors that are unreliable at best, and flat out unusable at worst.

At the shore house we rent every summer for a week, there was a kenmore washer that was so incredibly good in all respects, I took a picture of it last summer. I'll post it here if you like.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    it needed a new control board which is a $700 part!
    Control board was the reason the last time I had to replace my garage door opener and dishwasher.

30 mpdb
    Water heater tanks have a sacrificial anode rod that takes the brunt of the corrosion so that the tank doesn't. Once the anode goes, then it's open season on the tank and soon you get those glorious failures. The anodes are replaceable, and should be replaced every 4-5 years.

But I'm not going to... once, or hopefully before, my water heater goes, I'm moving to a tankless unit.

Edit: All my LG appliances have been solid - 10+ yr old washer and dryer, 2 yr old dishwasher and fridge. Zero problems so far.

Proud luddite

It’s a Frigidaire Gallery. Not fancy but I thought it would perform better than that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hmmm, we moved in here 7 years ago, still have the kitchen appliances that came with the house (cheapest models possible meant to look new for the sake of selling.) Refrigerator is probably the $300 GE monstrosity from Home Depot, essentially a big cooler and freezer on top. Keeps stuff cold. Not a looker, but it works.

Oven is a bit off when it comes to temperature, but that's easy to deal with. Oh, the fan is a fake- we have the "exhaust" fan but it doesn't blow anything outside, just around. Need to open a window lest the smoke alarm go off.

Had to buy a washer/dryer, went with LG front-loaders. So far so good.

TV is a big-booty Sony that I got in 2000. Waiting for it to die, but we don't have any room for a large screen anyway (would block windows.) Did splurge on a Miele canister vacuum, gotta say it really sucks As it should!

We're pretty minimalist with gadgets so very few problems.
    Last edited by Christine; 02-08-2018 at 09:29 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    All these made in Gy-na stuff...

From what I've heard, many new regulations put restrictions on what kind of materials allowed and minimum energy efficiency rules. For example, I bought a refrigerator a few years ago to replace GE one made around 1988 that was dying. New ones make high pitch hum that's annoying. Unless you spend extra $400-500, you gotta live with that noise. The reason for that noise is due to compressor motors manufactured per new energy efficiency regulation that changed the way they used to run (quieter).

I should have rebuilt that old one...

Ricardo Cabeza
    I replaced my washer and dryer with a new top of the line super efficient Amana washer and dryer. Got the really big one so I could do large loads. My wife was happy with how nice the set looks. Christ -- a load of laundry takes almost an hour to wash and another 45 minutes to dry. And the more you put in, the longer it takes. My 30 year old machine was faster and got clothes cleaner. Who cares about saving water? I live in VA -- it flows through my back yard and eventually into the ocean.

I own a rental house. The washer we replaced 14 months ago is broken. Needs a new control board that is backordered until March 26. Why does a washing machine need a computer inside it?

Why do water heaters wear out after 6 years? Why do air conditioners and furnaces only last 12 years? When did a roof get so effing expensive to replace? Maybe I need to move to Venice Beach and rent a place.
    Still using the Maytag W&D I bought when I got my first apt in Memphis. They are now over 20 years old. I've had to make a few repairs, but they are easy to repair and parts are readily available. When we moved into this new house, it still had the original AC from 1974 (replaced soon after, which we took into account in our offer), at the old house, it still had a window AC from 1994, and a water heater from 1986, and a boiler from the 1950s.

The reason stuff only lasts a few years now is profit - companies don't make money if appliances last forever. The reason they are more expensive is, since they now don't last as long, there is more demand.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast