Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: more nnc

Frog Whisperer

more nnc

nights are getting colder and days are cool/cold and windy, still riding! 3541+ miles but 184,403 feet of ascent! Lowest average speed since 2005, (note, I am 12 years older and riding with a buddy who is 73) Second highest year in miles since 2005. We will see how this turns out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails more nnc-capture.jpg  
    Last edited by Touch0Gray; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:54 PM.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    You are a beast man! I'm at about 2700 miles so far this year but should be able to ride pretty regularly through December. In fact, the trainer I got 2 years ago hasn't seen much use because the past couple of winters here in Virginia have been pretty mild.

I've been riding more frequently, although not as long distance per ride. I've been increasing my miles each year the past 4-5 years with steady to slightly increasing avg speeds. I figure my mileage will probably plateau soon until I cut back on my work hours or just plain retire. I'm pleased with my speeds since I've been putting way more miles in on old steel bikes with 42 tooth small rings - a challenge to wrestle up the hills around here.

Frog Whisperer
    I actually set the rollers back up the other day, but I cannot bring myself to get on them. I got a new insulated jersey that is REALLY nice so I am going to keep going as long as I can. At some point I will have to call the season over BUT it was close to 70 yesterday. My primary ride is my 97 Waterford, also steel but have been riding my plastic fantastic too. My bikes are all 53/39 if they have gears (other than my trusty hard-tail mtn bike (84 Cannondale), which has good ole bio-pace triple.

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Remember, the Swedes say there is no bad weather, only inadequate clothing.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    Remember, the Swedes say there is no bad weather, only inadequate clothing.
    I hate going down on the ice....3 and 4 times in a row....

Frog Whisperer
    Damn near got to either spend a couple of months in the hospital or killed today. Pounded into a 22 mph headwind for 10 miles and I had more than enough. I turned and headed home. As I was coming past Trek's main entrance, I see an SUV signalling to turn in to the lot. He slowed way down and stopped so I figured he saw me and was yielding to my right of way. Well I was going down a 3% grade with that 22 mph tailwind directly behind me so I was clipping. All the sudden, he started the turn RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. He seemed to hesitate then kept going, I was maybe 20 feet from him and I grabbed a double handful of brakes and got my right foot unclipped to try to keep myself from going down. I went through my options....hit him, let him hit me or try to get around behind him, the lane was clear. THEN he stopped....I slid sideways past the front of the car and when I got stopped he rolled his window down and said "OMG I am so, so sorry, it was entirely my fault"

my response: "Your fvcking right it was!!!!!!!!"

Probably a good thing I was NOT wearing the HRM today! I might have actually stopped beating for a couple of beats!! (when it got over 250)

That is the closest I have ever come to a VERY serious crash! I am probably NOT going to tell my wife the story!

Frog Whisperer
    over 3600....I took a day off

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Glad ur not dead.

Or broken.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    BTW, still nice here. No work today so took the Carrera out for 20 miles; now getting some interweb surfing and reading in. In an hour or so gonna trade my fizzy water in for a beer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails more nnc-3ca9cb85-bf09-4422-9fb8-2cdd7a8a1c97.jpg  

Frog Whisperer
    Just had black beans and rice with a glass of white wine with a bicycle on the label. That counts for riding too, right?

Non non normal
    HFC, I have almost the same mileage for the year, 2692. I thought I would put in more miles when I retired but I am doing more physical work and yoga so I haven't increased mileage.

TOG, none of us are getting younger and faster.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Frog Whisperer
    41 more yesterday, high was 54 and had base layet, long sleeves and wind suit. I was comfortable.. It has been a cool summer, there hasn't been a month that I didn't grab arm and keg warmers at least a few times.

Frog Whisperer
    Even more important than breaking 3800 miles..... I realized today that I am within 8600 feet of 200,000 feet of ascending!

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    nights are getting colder and days are cool/cold and windy, still riding! 3541+ miles but 184,403 feet of ascent! Lowest average speed since 2005, (note, I am 12 years older and riding with a buddy who is 73) Second highest year in miles since 2005. We will see how this turns out!
    My arithmetic skills aren't what they were when I was a young whippersnapper with a newfangled electic adding machine on my desk, but you must be somewhere north of 80.

Frog Whisperer
    3708 miles, 192,732 ft of ascent

48 was the high today bu no rain or sleet like earlier this week. Next week is supposed to be dry and in the upper 50's and 60's

Frog Whisperer
    another 27...which was the temperature when I got up this morning.

Frog Whisperer
    And another 25

I absolutely never thought that I would say this, but I am getting tired of riding. I am not riding because I want to, I am riding because I have to. I have never in my life walked away from a goal that I have set for myself. I am so close to the mileage goal I set. (3800) miles. Right now, I have 3760, one good ride or 2 wimpy rides. What's killing me is the 8 extra pounds of clothes, the extra 2 layers of spandex trying to keep my knees straight.....well, and the 8 extra pounds. I mean, seriously, I am riding without a bottle to reduce the weight!

40 more miles to go.

I set a second goal... 200,000 feet of elevation!.... I have 5174 feet to go. Unless it gets warm, I am screwed!

RoadBikeReview Member
    And another 25

I absolutely never thought that I would say this, but I am getting tired of riding. I am not riding because I want to, I am riding because I have to. I have never in my life walked away from a goal that I have set for myself. I am so close to the mileage goal I set. (3800) miles. Right now, I have 3760, one good ride or 2 wimpy rides. What's killing me is the 8 extra pounds of clothes, the extra 2 layers of spandex trying to keep my knees straight.....well, and the 8 extra pounds. I mean, seriously, I am riding without a bottle to reduce the weight!

40 more miles to go.

I set a second goal... 200,000 feet of elevation!.... I have 5174 feet to go. Unless it gets warm, I am screwed!
    You'll make your goal, shux, you got 54 days to do it. In fact you've got a chance at 4000 if this winter is anything like last winter.

I'm about 50 miles short of 4000, rode yesterday for 40 miles and was gonna ride today, but when I stepped out the back door I decided against it. It wasn't the temp so much as the wind and lack of sunshine that stopped me. There's tomorrow, and the weather folks are calling for a sunny day with a SSW wind which will push me home, making for a decent day.

Wait for the days that suit you, no sense burning yourself out riding in brutal conditions when there are going to be more pleasant, well at least bearable, days this year. Stay in on the brutal days and it's easier to go out on the cold days.
    Too old to ride plastic

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    You'll make your goal, shux, you got 54 days to do it. In fact you've got a chance at 4000 if this winter is anything like last winter.
    Keeping in mind, I am in WI

RoadBikeReview Member
    Keeping in mind, I am in WI
    Yeah, I remember reading that here somewhere. I know that you got more comin' your way than me, but I'm right outside Chicago, and we don't get no picnics here neither.

If you been livin' up there all your life I'm sure you're hard enough to deal with it. Twenty miles on a cold, sunny day is pretty doable, as long as you don't use up all your stuff on the brutal days.

Two 20 mile days and you'll have made your goal. Hell, I could do that standin' on your head. I don't know about the elevation gain tho, it's kinda flat around here.
    Too old to ride plastic

Frog Whisperer
    Yeah, I remember reading that here somewhere. I know that you got more comin' your way than me, but I'm right outside Chicago, and we don't get no picnics here neither.

If you been livin' up there all your life I'm sure you're hard enough to deal with it. Twenty miles on a cold, sunny day is pretty doable, as long as you don't use up all your stuff on the brutal days.

Two 20 mile days and you'll have made your goal. Hell, I could do that standin' on your head. I don't know about the elevation gain tho, it's kinda flat around here.
    Ah.... You aren't that far, ridden down there quite a few times. Once the roads are snow or salt covered, I am done. I have gone down on the ice too many times. I guess I could take the Mt bike to a trail. I actually scored a set of studded tires from a friend (for free)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ah.... You aren't that far, ridden down there quite a few times. Once the roads are snow or salt covered, I am done. I have gone down on the ice too many times. I guess I could take the Mt bike to a trail. I actually scored a set of studded tires from a friend (for free)
    Oh yeah, ice puts a stop to things quick. Wet leaves got me a few years ago and I got a hip upgrade out of that. I've heard good things about studded tires, but since the hip I've got no urge to try them,

As far as salt, I'll ride if it's dry and getting dusty. It can't be good for the bike and breathing that salt dust can't be good for me, but the salt will rinse off and sometimes I just need to ride the bike. It clears the head.
    Too old to ride plastic

Frog Whisperer
    Oh yeah, ice puts a stop to things quick. Wet leaves got me a few years ago and I got a hip upgrade out of that. I've heard good things about studded tires, but since the hip I've got no urge to try them,

As far as salt, I'll ride if it's dry and getting dusty. It can't be good for the bike and breathing that salt dust can't be good for me, but the salt will rinse off and sometimes I just need to ride the bike. It clears the head.
    for salt...I do have a plastic bike....LOL. About 7 or 8 years ago I rode all winter. My record LOW TEMP was 12 below... exclusively for bragging rights (LOOKIE...I'M AN IDIOT!!!!)
    breath coming up under the balaklava frosted the inside of my "goggles" and my eyelashes froze together. I am WAY older and substantially wiser now!

RoadBikeReview Member
    My record LOW TEMP was 12 below... exclusively for bragging rights (LOOKIE...I'M AN IDIOT!!!!)
    breath coming up under the balaklava frosted the inside of my "goggles" and my eyelashes froze together. I am WAY older and substantially wiser now!
    It's days like that where a home with windows really comes into play.
    Too old to ride plastic

Frog Whisperer

7.5 to go.....BUT

miles are just about in....elevation...I suspect I will need another 50 miles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails more nnc-capture.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast