Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frog Whisperer

More nnc FINALLY!

We set records today, warmest Feb 27 ever. My temperature sensor was registering 72 degrees when the sun was on my back (sensor is on the back of the saddle bag) we had a good 15 to 20 mph breeze from the SW which was bringing up the warm air. The return flight was a consistent 15 mph tail wind. Rode 33.2 but I could have easily ridden 20 more but Jim wasn't ready. Man, that felt great!!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    I'm jealous of the ride. I'm even more jealous of the temperature. We had an unusually cold, even for here, winter this year. Not so much the temps (in the -30 to -40 range which is normal) but for the amount of time it continued without a break. We usually get those temps in spurts broke up by slightly warmer periods but it just stayed that way for several months this year. We were nudged right up against 0 C (32 F) today. It's supposed to stay in that general area for a couple weeks so that's a nice break but it's not going to get rid of the snow and ice any time soon.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    I'm jealous of the ride. I'm even more jealous of the temperature. We had an unusually cold, even for here, winter this year. Not so much the temps (in the -30 to -40 range which is normal) but for the amount of time it continued without a break. We usually get those temps in spurts broke up by slightly warmer periods but it just stayed that way for several months this year. We were nudged right up against 0 C (32 F) today. It's supposed to stay in that general area for a couple weeks so that's a nice break but it's not going to get rid of the snow and ice any time soon.
    We had extended cold too, - 20 and colder for weeks. The upper 60's today was just the air temperature. Last night, in spite of the fact that it never went below freezing,the surface of the ground was frozen hard this morning, frozen from below! The extended cold with no snow cover, drove the frost DEEP!

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Non non normal
    Nice!
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Low 50's yesterday and high 50's today, windier today than yesterday. Got out both days, 38 miles yesterday and 35 today, and I feel it. The wind was brutal, and two days in a row of it sure tired me out.

Man, it does feel good to get out there.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    We set records today, warmest Feb 27 ever. My temperature sensor was registering 72 degrees when the sun was on my back (sensor is on the back of the saddle bag) we had a good 15 to 20 mph breeze from the SW which was bringing up the warm air. The return flight was a consistent 15 mph tail wind. Rode 33.2 but I could have easily ridden 20 more but Jim wasn't ready. Man, that felt great!!
    Good for you. I am jealous. This has not been our coldest winter, nor has it been the heaviest snowfall winter in recent memory .... but, it has been plenty cold and there is still a ton of snow and ice.

NNC will be some time away yet I fear.

Enjoy it.

TMB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wabasso View Post
    Good for you. I am jealous. This has not been our coldest winter, nor has it been the heaviest snowfall winter in recent memory .... but, it has been plenty cold and there is still a ton of snow and ice.

Enjoy it.

TMB
    same over here in Northern Japan. First day above freezing in about a week. But it's snowing again, tomorrow they are predicting warm temps and rain. Yippee!

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Low 50's yesterday and high 50's today, windier today than yesterday. Got out both days, 38 miles yesterday and 35 today, and I feel it. The wind was brutal, and two days in a row of it sure tired me out.

Man, it does feel good to get out there.
    Funny, I was so glad to be out without 26 layers of clothes on that the wind wasn't really bothering me even though it was pretty strong. It may also have something to do with the fact that I was riding with a friend who averages 11 mph so I really was not pushing until I was on my way home from his place. BUT, I would rather believe that all the roller miles I logged for the past 3 months with a resistance unit on tham kept me stong.......

Probably a combination of all of the above.

The warm sun sure felt good.

Now, I have to get back to cutting firewood...... Ugh

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by wabasso View Post

Enjoy it.

TMB
    Not like we are getting any younger either. As I get older, I find the cold harder to deal with.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    It hit 78 here the day after President's day. My wife and I called in sick and rode 60 miles. Kicked our butts. It was 76 the next day and we commuting to work (33 miles). Then the weather went cold and rainy. It sure is an amazing feeling to get ut wearing just shorts and a jersey for a bike ride.

I fear March is going to make us pay for this.

Frog Whisperer
    Well today was high of 40, gray and overcast with pretty dense fog for about 1/2 the day before the fog lifted. Just damp and ugly. SO... a buddy and I knocked down a dead tree that REALLY wanted to come down on my garage. We changed it's mind but not without a long, tough argument. Too mucky to use the bobcat so Ropes, chains and the come-along had to do. So instead of taking a 1/2 hour, it took an hour and a half. Gravity does not always win!

Boobies!
    We had a freakishly warm day today--it hit an honest to goodness 60 degrees.

Of course, according to my wife that made it a perfect day for painting (!)--I obliged and got a coat of paint on the siding/door install that I finished in 20 degree weather in December that got left.

Funny thing though, the paint store (I ran out before I finished) was telling me that they had a mini-rush on exterior paint today. Must be a New York thing...
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    You maybe want to clue us in on where this occurred ?

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    You maybe want to clue us in on where this occurred ?
    South Central Wisconsin

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    We've been cold here in SoCal.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno View Post
    We've been cold here in SoCal.
    Your idea of cold ≠ my idea of cold!

Frog Whisperer
    74.x miles for the week, Man that felt good!

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I got 99 in last week, but this week looks pretty crappy. Hard to believe we had two days in the upper 70's last week. DLST starts next weekend, but it still feels like winter in DC. The big wind storm knocked out my power this weekend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had a strong week, managing about 150 for the week, 80 of those coming in March. March is already shaking out to be better than Feb as I only managed to get out 3 times in Feb and two of those were the 26th and 27th. Three for March already, and it's only March 5th now.

I am looking forward to pealing off some of these layers tho.
    Too old to ride plastic

Frog Whisperer
    And then this happened

RoadBikeReview Member
    One week ago. Didn't get out on the bicycle, but I did get a ride on 2 wheels...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    And then this happened
    You've got a perfect place for this.
    Name:  91g2awX0yFL._SX355_.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  26.6 KB

Frog Whisperer
    Back to the rollers today..... Gak!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Back to the rollers today..... Gak!
    Yep, I just got off the trainer and a more miserable time I can't imagine.

Things will be better in a couple of weeks.
    Too old to ride plastic

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Yep, I just got off the trainer and a more miserable time I can't imagine.

Things will be better in a couple of weeks.
    we can hope!!!! Killer is I have stuff I need to get done outside, I have 2 good bucket loads of wood to haul to my shed so I can split and stack it but the ground isn't frozen hard enough anymore, I need to wait until it thaws completely and dries or freezes solid. The last thing I want to do is get the bobcat stuck with a 1000 pounds of wood in the bucket. (again)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast