ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Moto peeps, piggy back thread, Kawa Vulcan?

For some reason I have been thinking about a motorcycle. I posted a question over in HW's thread on vintage and really did not get any response, sorry for the attempted hijack, not intentional. Anyways was thinking about a cruiser type bike for me, a little old school that did not need a repair van following me around. Was thinking Kawasaki Vulcan in a used version 900 Vtwin. I guess I would be considered a new rider so the mid sized bike might be a better fit for me. Seen a few in the trader pages for $4K-$5K. Insight anyone? What is considered high miles on a bike anyway?

waterproof*
    Chicks dig dudes with murdersickles.

That is all.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like the Honda's ride better.

The VTX1300 line is nice. They are 4 grand used around here.

AYHCSMB etc.
    i dropped my bike off at the dealer last week for some work. they also carry kawasaki. they had new 1300's for $8000.

also, consider taking a class, if you're new to this. i've worked some pretty bad accidents.
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    I'll +1 the recommendation to get to a class. The MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) does a very good weekend class, and they have them all over the country. Cheap and very worth it. Completing it will sometimes give you a break on your insurance and/or excuse you from taking the on-the-road moto driving test when you get your license. This depends, of course, on where you live.

I shudder when I think of people getting a bike without the training--I remember what a mess of knuckleheads and uncoordinated bumblers were IN my class. And those were the ones who actually had the brains to take the MSF course.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

I'm all about safety etc

I am accused of driving like a granny. Had a dirt bike as a kid but that was about 35 years ago so it doesn't count. But yes I would be taking whatever training I could get myself into. The nearby racetrack might even offer something too, they do driving courses for the govt. and all sorts of training.

I seem to have a TON of bikes in my area. Mostly cruisers types.

Have a nice day
    Kawasaki did make a vintage Indian-styled version of the Vulcan called the Drifter. I spent some time on a Drifter 1500 in my previous life as a motojournalist... it was a decent cruiser but rather heavy for a newbie. I was a little disappointed with details such as the plastic fenders and stick-on pinstripes. When I rode the Drifter I had recently spent time with the Triumph Thunderbird Sport, which cost less than the Drifter but had hand-painted pinstripes, metal fenders, and generally nicer detailing (not to mention more power, better brakes, better handling, more ground clearance, etc. etc.).

There is also a Drifter 800 based on their softail-style frame. I have no experience with that.

AYHCSMB etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboy389
    Completing it will sometimes give you a break on your insurance and/or excuse you from taking the on-the-road moto driving test when you get your license. This depends, of course, on where you live.
    blondie took the basic course earlier this year, and skipped the tests when applying for her "M"-class license.
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by undies
    Kawasaki did make a vintage Indian-styled version of the Vulcan called the Drifter. I spent some time on a Drifter 1500 in my previous life as a motojournalist... it was a decent cruiser but rather heavy for a newbie. I was a little disappointed with details such as the plastic fenders and stick-on pinstripes. When I rode the Drifter I had recently spent time with the Triumph Thunderbird Sport, which cost less than the Drifter but had hand-painted pinstripes, metal fenders, and generally nicer detailing (not to mention more power, better brakes, better handling, more ground clearance, etc. etc.).

There is also a Drifter 800 based on their softail-style frame. I have no experience with that.
    I was looking at those on line this AM. I think that is exactly what I'm looking for in a used version, $4 -$6K. Read a review that popped up in my search that liked the 800 bike better than the 1600, gave a list of reasons why. Me thinks the 800 would be a good place to start. Saw a few used, really liked what I saw.

AYHCSMB etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by ARP
    I was looking at those on line this AM. I think that is exactly what I'm looking for in a used version, $4 -$6K. Read a review that popped up in my search that liked the 800 bike better than the 1600, gave a list of reasons why. Me thinks the 800 would be a good place to start. Saw a few used, really liked what I saw.
    sure, great place to start. but not a good bike to ride interstates, trips, etc. need something with more power and weight. otherwise get blown all over the road. sucks the life right out of you, on a trip. even a short one.

if you have a disposable income, and plan to get another moto later, without straining the bank account, go for it. otherwise, "upgrade" now. it rides the same, just has more weight and power.

Have a nice day
    Quote Originally Posted by haiku d'etat
    sure, great place to start. but not a good bike to ride interstates, trips, etc. need something with more power and weight. otherwise get blown all over the road. sucks the life right out of you, on a trip. even a short one.
    Meh.

Granted, I don't have any experience with the Vulcan/Drifter 800, but I never agreed with the power+weight argument for highway cruising. If you're getting "blown all over the road" that's poor aerodynamics, not low weight. My last moto - a Triumph TT600 sportbike - was 450lbs dripping wet and rock solid at highway speed.

There is the argument that a smaller engine has to turn higher RPMs and will feel more strained, but again I'd say that's a gross generalization. My 600cc TT600 was WAAYYY smoother at 75mph than my 1000cc BMW K100RS.

Try to find some reviews of the specific model you're considering. If it's skittish and strained on the highway many reviews will say so.

PRB
    Bibo Ergo Sum
    I never agreed with the power+weight argument for highway cruising.
    +1 Only in the US is an 800cc bike considered 'small'.
    Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

Have a nice day
    Quote Originally Posted by PRB
    +1 Only in the US is an 800cc bike considered 'small'.
    That's because an 883cc Harley Sportster makes, what, 18hp?

Pedal Master
    I've had a number of bikes and for the money, I'd go with a Yamaha V-Star 650 or 1100 (both same sized frames and look bigger than they are). The Vulcan is just....ugly.
    I Like B-I-K-E-S.

No team-cest unless 8+!
    That's because an 883cc Harley Sportster makes, what, 18hp?
    Heh. Compared to a 750 sport bike putting out... 120hp? ouch.
    I'm awesome.

No team-cest unless 8+!
    Vstar! Vstar! My friend found a used 2007 Vstar 1100 for 5k. I wouldn't call it a "beginner" bike... but somehow I don't feel like you would ride like an idiot, though.

I never understood that "beginner bike" thing anyway...
    I'm awesome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Both my brother and sister started on the same Honda Shadow ACE 750 ( http://www.750ace.com/specs.phtml ) and it never gave them any trouble, in handling or in reliability. Sounds nice too.

Always loved them. Not a motorcyclist though, so I wouldn't understand.

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Thanks, good call on reviews, I'll search

Meh.

Granted, I don't have any experience with the Vulcan/Drifter 800, but I never agreed with the power+weight argument for highway cruising. If you're getting "blown all over the road" that's poor aerodynamics, not low weight. My last moto - a Triumph TT600 sportbike - was 450lbs dripping wet and rock solid at highway speed.

There is the argument that a smaller engine has to turn higher RPMs and will feel more strained, but again I'd say that's a gross generalization. My 600cc TT600 was WAAYYY smoother at 75mph than my 1000cc BMW K100RS.

Try to find some reviews of the specific model you're considering. If it's skittish and strained on the highway many reviews will say so.
    nmnmnmnm

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

I'll look but

Quote Originally Posted by real stonie
    I've had a number of bikes and for the money, I'd go with a Yamaha V-Star 650 or 1100 (both same sized frames and look bigger than they are). The Vulcan is just....ugly.
    One mans work of art is another man's trash pile. Sport bikes to me look like Jet Skis on wheels, do nothing for me. Full Dresser Harleys and Gold Wings do nothing. Customs? nothing. Cruisers I kinda like but old school looking bikes (Vulcan is modeled after the pre WWII Indian bikes) that is the style I like, the longish oversized fenders. The light bar in the front. Something I saw that I really liked was the pointy cadillac taillight lenses on the old school bike. But that is just me. Fancy paint and all? give a simple 2 tone paint job. Again, that is just me, elegant simplicity.