Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Proud luddite

Movie review: The Three Stooges

First, let me say that I am a lifelong Three Stooges fan. When I was a kid, my brother and I would watch the old shows on TV with my dad and it was something that we could all enjoy together. He grew up in the 30's and early 40's, we grew up in the 70's and early 80's, but the Stooges transcended time and drew us together. They were dumb, they were idiotic, the plots of their shows were ridiculous, and yet they made us laugh. Over the years, I have come to learn that my mother wasn't the only woman who hated the Stooges. It seems that most women, at least the ones I have known, really don't like them. And beyond that, even a high percentage of men don't like them. So most of the world is anti-Stooge and I have no problem with that....but I am not an anti-Stoogite. I love them. And as a Stooge lover, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie today.

The actors (Chris Diamantopoulus, Sean Hayes and Will Sasso) nailed the characters. They were amazingly like the originals, down to the voices, facial expressions and mannerisms. And the sound effects were exactly like the original shows, when Mo would hit the others in the head, poke their eyes, etc. The plot was pretty weak, just like the originals, but the sight gags were spot on and all I know is that I laughed. And laughed. And laughed. Many times, as did the rest of the audience. These Stooges, although just like the guys from back in the day, did have their modern sides too. They poked fun at cell phones, leered at the nun Kate Upton in a skimpy swimsuit, and had a pee-fight with newborns in the hospital. But just as I remembered from my childhood, their comedy was simple, crude, slapstick, and it made us laugh....including the kids and the adults of different ages in the audience. It is a film that different generations can appreciate together. Interestingly, at the end the Farrelly brothers did a bit about the need to be safe and not imitate the Stooges....don't hit your brother in the head with a hammer, in other words. Too bad our litigious society would lead them to do something like that, but that's the way it goes I suppose.

Bottom line: if you like the Stooges, you will like this movie. If you don't like them, you will hate this movie. Well worth the $5 matinee price for the chuckles and memories of my dearly departed pops that it conjured up in my mind.

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    You might like these then.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Movie review:  The Three Stooges-dscn0319.jpg  

waterproof*
    cool.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

We're no better than mice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Movie review:  The Three Stooges-three-stooges-babies.jpg  

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by EverydayRide View Post
    That's funny as hell.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I read that when they cast the movie they were looking for people that could nail the originals and not wanting an actor that would try to add their own twist. That's pretty cool. I've heard from a few people it's fairly good.

w-g
    Will rep for beer
    Good to hear. My 10 yo daughter loves the originals (we were watchiing one DVD on Friday). She almost fell off the couch laughing.
    “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.” Inigo Montoya

Quote Originally Posted by redondoaveb View Post
    That's funny as hell.
    I loved Shemp Howard.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

donuts?
    i love the early Sttoges, but disdain the stuff from the 1940's. ugh. i love the vaudeville cum cinema stuff.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by Unit 91 View Post
    I read that when they cast the movie they were looking for people that could nail the originals and not wanting an actor that would try to add their own twist. That's pretty cool. I've heard from a few people it's fairly good.
    It's funny in part because they show the Stooges at 3 different stages in their lives....briefly as babies, then a spell when they are 10, and then the majority of the movie when they are in their mid-30's. The kids who play the Stooges at age 10 are awesome! Especially the kids who play Larry and Mo at 10. There's a running gag throughout the movie about Larry being bald his entire life, and as a fellow baldy that really had me laughing.

S2H
    wut?
    tl;dr

Everyone who made this movie should kill themselves.

Sacrilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
    tl;dr

Everyone who made this movie should kill themselves.

Sacrilege.
    The Lounge reminds me of these guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Proud luddite
    The Lounge reminds me of these guys.
    And then there is this, from the last presidential election:

Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    And then there is this, from the last presidential election:

Why make a good thread political? Why? Why take something that's slap happy and vaudeville making it into vaudevillian?

I'm done with the thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Movie review:  The Three Stooges-the_three_stooges.jpg  

Proud luddite
    Why make a good thread political? Why? Why take something that's slap happy and vaudeville making it into vaudevillian?

I'm done with the thread.
    Are you serious? That pic is making fun of the political process and has nothing to do with the views of those politicians. I didn't mean to offend, and I hope you're joking.

Are you serious? That pic is making fun of the political process and has nothing to do with the views of those politicians. I didn't mean to offend, and I hope you're joking.
    "Moe's Voice"

Gottcha!

Proud luddite
    "Moe's Voice"

Gottcha!
    Oh, wise guy, eh?

Proud luddite
    So my son is 19 now and in college across the country....some place called Seattle where the weather is most un-arizonalike. Anyway, when he was about 10 or 11, for a couple years we would watch the Stooges marathon on AMC on New Years Eve. We would watch episode after episode, and he would have a friend over to spend the night, and we would heat up god-awful frozen snacks to munch on and I would fry up a bunch of my mini chocolate chimichangas. It was really a cool, fun time. I just remembered the fun I had with my dad watching the Stooges and I hope my son carries the memories of watching them with me as he ventures into adulthood. My dream (actually one of many,so this isn't my main dream, but I digress) will be to watch the Stooges with my son and his son, when the day comes that he has a son. If he has a girl, we'll have to make sure she isn't one of those Stooge-haters!

Though I loved Laurel and Hardy, or even Rocky and Bullwinkle ...no one came close to the 3-Stooges. It was the classic boys being boys. I didn't speak any english at the time watching their repeats where I lived but there were subtitles and action only boys could understand.

Moe's classic timing is 3 words. Like when I wrote above, Why. And then Why again. Followed by Why another time. That's Moe's MO. They were courageous boys, from a great family and a wonderful time period between the transitions of stage to sets, silents to talkies.

Really loved them and glad your son enjoyed them too. My two daughters, about your son's age would laugh hysterically over the VCR cassettes and later DVD's of their stuff. It's senseless. No rhyme nor reasons.

Why? Why? Why?

Proud luddite
    Though I loved Laurel and Hardy, or even Rocky and Bullwinkle ...no one came close to the 3-Stooges. It was the classic boys being boys. I didn't speak any english at the time watching their repeats where I lived but there were subtitles and action only boys could understand.

Moe's classic timing is 3 words. Like when I wrote above, Why. And then Why again. Followed by Why another time. That's Moe's MO. They were courageous boys, from a great family and a wonderful time period between the transitions of stage to sets, silents to talkies.

Really loved them and glad your son enjoyed them too. My two daughters, about your son's age would laugh hysterically over the VCR cassettes and later DVD's of their stuff. It's senseless. No rhyme nor reasons.

Why? Why? Why?
    I have 2 favorite "Mo lines". The first:

"What comes after 75?"

"76."

"That's the spirit!"

And of course, who could forget "Wake up and go to sleep!"

Gotta love Mo Howard!

Not sure if you knew this, but in the original shorts whenever someone would get a cream puff thrown into their face from off camera or something else was accurately tossed....it was Mo Howard who did the throwing! He had an incredible arm, and could easily toss objects from a distance to an exact spot. I wonder if he could have been a great baseball pitcher with the proper training!

Not sure if you knew this, but in the original shorts whenever someone would get a cream puff thrown into their face from off camera or something else was accurately tossed....it was Mo Howard who did the throwing! He had an incredible arm, and could easily toss objects from a distance to an exact spot. I wonder if he could have been a great baseball pitcher with the proper training!
    Great trivia. I didn't know he was a good pitcher. I hope to read more about them in this nature. It makes them more real and humane. Moe was a great contributor to charities throughout his years. At least from what I've read.

Proud luddite
    Great trivia. I didn't know he was a good pitcher. I hope to read more about them in this nature. It makes them more real and humane. Moe was a great contributor to charities throughout his years. At least from what I've read.
    Another tidbit on a more somber note: Shemp, who was actually Mo and Curly's brother, replaced Curly as a member of the trio after Curly suffered a stroke at the height of his career (and at a young age). Curly was kind of a tragic figure, as he once had long, wavy hair and was quite the ladies man, but he shaved his head and adopted that high-pitched voice to make himself famous as a Stooge. Sounded like he was fairly unhappy portraying himself that way, but it was what the fans wanted so he played the part.

smell my finger
    Sep 2007
    I love Curly the bestest. My brother collects stooge memorabilia and I grew up watching the stooges too. Me and my brother would wrestle around doing stooge moves on each other for hours. Oh yeah the memories, not sure I could go watch a modern version though, unless I go with my brother.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I too grew up and loved wathching the stooges.

For those who have seen the movie.
    Would it be acceptable for a very innocent 8 year old girl?
    What about a 5 yo girl?

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    I too grew up and loved wathching the stooges.

For those who have seen the movie.
    Would it be acceptable for a very innocent 8 year old girl?
    What about a 5 yo girl?
    There were kids that age in the theater when I saw the movie yesterday, but I am a fairly conservative parent and I don't think I would take young children to see it. While most of the humor is typical of the original Stooges, there are a few instances of crudity (the pee fight and a lion getting wacked in the nutz) as well as quite a bit of cleavage shown, along with Kate Upton popping out all over the place in a tiny swimsuit. Something that probably wouldn't faze older kids but that are not appropriate for the little kids in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast