Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    A Canadian in Sweden

MP-3 player suggestion

So, Anneli's MP-3 iriver just died on her last week, for no apparent reason. And because we bought it in Montreal a couple years ago, it no longer has any warranty on it, meaning that it'll probably cost a small fortune to repair, which isn't really worth it. Any suggestions for a new MP-3 player? Essentially one that has a radio and has the possibility to be used with AA batteries. What do you think? Should we look for one with AA or an I-Pod type with a proprietary battery?
    Albert (5 years old) to Uncle Peter (family friend): "Why don't we play another card game, something you can win at."

Grey Manrod
    Sandisk.
    Last edited by Brick Tamland; 10-24-2007 at 10:11 AM.

Born from Jorts®
    commence BJII vs. iEveryone else discussion...

edit: and Brick T., gutfiddle, Val G.,

// personally, digging my new Nano. No FM, no AA batts tho. But I did watch 2 episodes of Family Guy on the plane, so its got that going for it.

fin

had it in the ear before
    i like the Sandisk players, "proprietary" is such a nasty word.

//add me to the ihaters list
    you might as well have gone to Taco Bell and had a Zima while dropping a blotter and snorting Tabasco. OMFG. ~ttug

Life Coach
    Sandisk Sansa. It's the only way to fly. And drive. And work in an office. Etc.

A Canadian in Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by gutfiddle
    i like the Sandisk players, "proprietary" is such a nasty word.

//add me to the ihaters list
    I'm not an ihater, but I just don't like when a company makes you buy another one of their products just because the batteries cannot be changed. It forces you to throw out the old one and buy a new one, and it creates a lot of waste.
    Albert (5 years old) to Uncle Peter (family friend): "Why don't we play another card game, something you can win at."

Banned forever.....or not
    Sandisk Clip will be out in a week or so.
    1 gig w/ radio=$39
    2 gig w/ radio=$59

No AAA, but USB rechargable.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Beetpull DeLite
    Winamp 2.81.

I also recommend Sandisk....I bought one for my dad, and he likes it. A couple of other friends also own them and haven't had any issues. Apparently some have been problematic, but hopefully they've fixed them.

A Canadian in Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY
    Sandisk Clip will be out in a week or so.
    1 gig w/ radio=$39
    2 gig w/ radio=$59

No AAA, but USB rechargable.

Interesting option, but what does usb rechargeable mean? That you can simply plug it into the usb of a computer and charge it?

A Canadian in Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    Winamp 2.81.

I also recommend Sandisk....I bought one for my dad, and he likes it. A couple of other friends also own them and haven't had any issues. Apparently some have been problematic, but hopefully they've fixed them.
    Thanks girchy, but this thread is like MP-3 101 to me. Winamp 2.81??

Born from Jorts®
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneanneli
    I'm not an ihater, but I just don't like when a company makes you buy another one of their products just because the batteries cannot be changed. It forces you to throw out the old one and buy a new one, and it creates a lot of waste.
    on my old 3G ipod I bought a DIY battery swap kit online. Still works fine, didn't have to buy another one. (but did anyways to have a smaller one for riding )

A Canadian in Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    on my old 3G ipod I bought a DIY battery swap kit online. Still works fine, didn't have to buy another one. (but did anyways to have a smaller one for riding )
    Is it easy to change?

Dogbert.

I>U

the fist
    Creative Zen..they work and they're cheap.
    http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...999=WPGRABBRL4
    FlexiSexual

had it in the ear before
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    yeah they love selling all these kits to do what other nonproprietary players already do...
    you might as well have gone to Taco Bell and had a Zima while dropping a blotter and snorting Tabasco. OMFG. ~ttug

A Canadian in Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY
    Nice and small, not too expensive, and can be charged using a regular AC adapter too.

eminence grease
    wayne - I have 4 iPods. any other questions?
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

A Canadian in Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    wayne - I have 4 iPods. any other questions?
    Terry, which ones? Any favourites? Are they for sale? Oops, that was three questions?

They are not quite in our stores yet, but are listed as "on line" in a few locations. I plan to pick up the 1 Gig version as soon as they become available.
    This item may kill the cheapest ipod.
    Dogbert.

I>U

Born from Jorts®
    Quote Originally Posted by gutfiddle
    yeah they love selling all these kits to do what other nonproprietary players already do...
    who's "they"?

I got my kit on ebay I think. Not from Apple. Apple wanted you to send in your iPod and for $100 (i think) they would do the swap. Problem was, you wouldn't get your original iPod back, it was some other refurb. No thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneanneli
    When youir iPod battery dies you don't buy a new one. You mail it to apple and for $65 they send another one back to you. Sure $65 for a battery is a bit much. But I love my iPod Mini.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/battery/
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

had it in the ear before
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    When youir iPod battery dies you don't buy a new one. You mail it to apple and for $65 they send another one back to you. Sure $65 for a battery is a bit much. But I love my iPod Mini.

apple patrons never cease to amaze me

A Canadian in Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY

I love Mac computer, but why would I give Apple another 65 dollars? It's a bit extreme, isn't it?

here comes trouble
    I have a 2GB sandisk sansa. It's great, wayne. It does have a radio and voice recorder, and you can recharge it with the USB port or with a car/outlet charger. You can get a pack of all of the accessories for it for about $5 on amazon or ebay. Plus, to load the music onto it you can just drag and drop all your music and even your playlist files right onto the player. Plus it has a micro SD expansion slot. So I have 4 GB of music on mine. I bought it for $45 on ebay.
    Man never made any material as resilient as the human spirit. -Bernard Williams

had it in the ear before
    Quote Originally Posted by paint
    I have a 2GB sandisk sansa. It's great, wayne. It does have a radio and voice recorder, and you can recharge it with the USB port or with a car/outlet charger. You can get a pack of all of the accessories for it for about $5 on amazon or ebay. Plus, to load the music onto it you can just drag and drop all your music and even your playlist files right onto the player. Plus it has a micro SD expansion slot. So I have 4 GB of music on mine. I bought it for $45 on ebay.
    I was running my 5k route in preparation for a race fri and i had quite an varied mix goin in my sandisk, anyway Dusty's "Son of a Preacher Man" came on and I thought of u Paint. has a nice rolling rythym good to workout to, that is all.

//GNR "My Michelle" came on right after so dont go thinkin i'm getting soft.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast