i like whiskey

My Canon EOS is busticated

The other day I took my "good camera" (Canon EOS Elan 7) out of the bag to retrieve the roll of film I just finished shooting. The roll was still in the camera, so all I had to do was rewind and replace. I noticed that the door of the camera was open. Aside from the probably loss of all the pics on that undeveloped roll (which sucks BTW), I figured no biggie. When I tried to shut it, it would not stay shut.

The door is held shut by a little latch thing that appears to be brokened. I can get the little latch to click into position using the button on the side of the camera, but the door won't stay shut. It's like there is something broken off, maybe the little piece that grabs the latch. It looks like it's all plastic in there, so it's a distinct possibility.

What can I expect as far as a repair bill for this fix? Do I need a new door or latch or what? I don't have an LCS, so I was just going to find the nearest Wolf Camera and see what they say. Is this worth sending off to someone to get fixed? Or can any old LCS fix this pretty easily? It's way out of warranty, so back to Canon is maybe not an option.

Done with winter.
    Camera shops probably can't fix something like this. They usually ship it back to manufacturer so depending on the repair bill, it may be cheaper to look for a used body to replace it.

Seat's not level
    Should have bought a Nikon ! FIRST

Hopefully you'll find someone to fix it. I would think there are still camera repair shops. Might try a service link at Canon.com and see if they have any authorized repair shops in your area.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know. -- Abraham Lincoln, Unknown , Unknown

Genitive Declensioner
    Quote Originally Posted by innergel
    The other day I took my "good camera" (Canon EOS Elan 7) out of the bag to retrieve the roll of film I just finished shooting. The roll was still in the camera, so all I had to do was rewind and replace. I noticed that the door of the camera was open. Aside from the probably loss of all the pics on that undeveloped roll (which sucks BTW), I figured no biggie. When I tried to shut it, it would not stay shut.

The door is held shut by a little latch thing that appears to be brokened. I can get the little latch to click into position using the button on the side of the camera, but the door won't stay shut. It's like there is something broken off, maybe the little piece that grabs the latch. It looks like it's all plastic in there, so it's a distinct possibility.

What can I expect as far as a repair bill for this fix? Do I need a new door or latch or what? I don't have an LCS, so I was just going to find the nearest Wolf Camera and see what they say. Is this worth sending off to someone to get fixed? Or can any old LCS fix this pretty easily? It's way out of warranty, so back to Canon is maybe not an option.
    email Canon Service...they may do it cheaper than the LCS depending on the exact problem....

https://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...4&modelid=7391
    Big Fan of the Callipygian Way
    "The collards tore my wife's stomach up and with her being pregnant and constipated it made for a smelly ride to the cabin in north Georgia." -gut
    "The term "steeping" brings to mind "tea-bagging" and, on far too many levels, I'm simply not comfortable with that." -antonio_b
    "People think maggots are a bad thing, but I'll bet they ate most of the feces he has been sitting in for the last two years. Go maggots! -Mohair

i like whiskey
    Quote Originally Posted by asterisk
    Camera shops probably can't fix something like this. They usually ship it back to manufacturer so depending on the repair bill, it may be cheaper to look for a used body to replace it.
    This is exactly what I did NOT want to hear. Hopefully someone else chimes in with a different view.

Done with winter.
    Well I was thinking about the generic camera emporium, Chain had the better idea of looking for an authorized repair place, they should be able to help.

Seat's not level
    A browse through their website and you can get to their customer support. Looks like a phone call might be in order before contacting a repair guy.
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...4&modelid=8328

He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know. -- Abraham Lincoln, Unknown , Unknown

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    You should buy a Nikon and send me your glass for the Canon.

And don't the cannon's unroll all the film at the beginning then wind it with every shot you take? If it does this then your pics are still good, unless you messed with the film.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by threesportsinone

And don't the cannon's unroll all the film at the beginning then wind it with every shot you take? If it does this then your pics are still good, unless you messed with the film.
    Not my F-1.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

i like whiskey
    Quote Originally Posted by threesportsinone

Not this one either.

I'm still sending the roll in to see if anything was salvageable. I think there was baby birth shots on that roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    You should only lose about 3-4 shots I would think. Canon will give you a free estimate on repair if you send it in. In any case give them a call and see what they say over the phone.
    "All I want in life is to ride my bike and drink good coffee."

Seat's not level
    I think there was baby birth shots on that roll.
    Oh dude, that sucks. Hopefully you will get something off the roll.

Call me a Fred
    I would take it to a full-service camera shop and get an estimate. It might actually be a quick, cheap repair.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBiker
    I would take it to a full-service camera shop and get an estimate. It might actually be a quick, cheap repair.
    Bwahahahahahahahaah!!!!! I've never heard of a quick, cheap repair on such types of goods.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Frog Whisperer
    http://www.bdccamerarepair.com/

they do GREAT work and are VERY reasonable

I had a pentax spotmatic II completely overhauled, new shutter curtain, new light seals, recalibrate for new type battery and disassemble a lens and clean... $125

I live 30 miles but I shipped it and they shipped it back. call them

i like whiskey
    I called a few LCS and they all said they just send the camera off. Two of them said there was one local repair shop and they recommend them. They aren't too far from my house so I'll run over there when I get a few minutes this weekend.

I'll also call and talk to Canon Customer Service and see what they say. I'm semi-handy with a screwdriver so hopefully I could figure out how to fix it if it's easy and they can send the parts.

Frog Whisperer
    I called a few LCS and they all said they just send the camera off. Two of them said there was one local repair shop and they recommend them. They aren't too far from my house so I'll run over there when I get a few minutes this weekend.

I'll also call and talk to Canon Customer Service and see what they say. I'm semi-handy with a screwdriver so hopefully I could figure out how to fix it if it's easy and they can send the parts.
    two tips...... work over a clean terry towel, that way the screws will not roll or bounce.

if there is a local shop, take it in....a camera requires more than semi-handy...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

Wink

do you need some ball bearings and 3-in-1oil too, Gord?

those fetzer valves can be tricky....

Genitive Declensioner
    Quote Originally Posted by I am The Edge

is that your whole hand doc.....
    Big Fan of the Callipygian Way
    "The collards tore my wife's stomach up and with her being pregnant and constipated it made for a smelly ride to the cabin in north Georgia." -gut
    "The term "steeping" brings to mind "tea-bagging" and, on far too many levels, I'm simply not comfortable with that." -antonio_b
    "People think maggots are a bad thing, but I'll bet they ate most of the feces he has been sitting in for the last two years. Go maggots! -Mohair

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    What a bummer. I hope it turns out to be not too big a deal.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Cat 6 rider
    I had the latch break on my EOS Elan II. There are two places it can break, the door latch, or the part that's inside the camera body. My break was the later. I actually found the exploded diagram for it and it looked like a lot of parts removal to get to it. I didn't bother trying it myself because it was still under warranty. 35mm bodies aren't that expensive if you go used because everyone's trading down to digital.
    To the troll mobile, away...

i like whiskey
    Quote Originally Posted by I am The Edge

it's ALL ball bearings now-days!

(genius)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    gauze pads.

prestone...no...no...make that quaker state.

papa sboak
    Feb 2006
    Go digital.

Replacement for the 5D due somewhere in February or a bit after. You might be able to salvage your lenses as well.
    Ron Paul 2012

America needs change. Not more of the same.