Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

my daughter watched a shadow come down the stairs and go around the corner

Actually in all honestly, talk to it. Tell it that you respect it was there first, but that it is creeping you out.

I have to do this from time to time in my old house and I believe it has worked well.

Bill

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

ToF
    yup

my daughter watched a shadow come down the stairs and go around the corner

I learned from "drop dead diva" (a highly realistic legal drama) that black mold can cause ghostly hallucinations. You might want to get that checked out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    I learned from "drop dead diva" (a highly realistic legal drama) that black mold can cause ghostly hallucinations. You might want to get that checked out.
    This is the running theory for the Salem witch hunts.... Moldy grains.

Frog Whisperer
    mmmmmm moldy rye........ melts in your mind, not in your mouth!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Misfit Toy
    Quote Originally Posted by L_Johnny View Post
    This is the running theory for the Salem witch hunts.... Moldy grains.
    So my relative was burned at the stake because of poor food storage?
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    All have very plausible explanations, I'm sure
    Hallucinations are real.

Matnlely Dregaend
    As an empirical scientist, whenever my friends tell me of a haunted place, I go there and ask that the lights be turned off while I'm in whatever room is supposedly "haunted." I then proceed to verbally provoke the "ghost" over the course of about 5 minutes. I have yet to experience anything except a good laugh. Ghosts are for dumb people.

I also live in a 100+ year old house that creaks and makes random noises, never once have I equated that with being haunted.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Love ghost stories. Tell me/us more.
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    So my relative was burned at the stake because of poor food storage?
    Well that is a pretty big offense...
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    My life contains bits of Seinfelt episodes. Perhaps OP's is more like this
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

donuts?
    not one to believe in haunting and what not, but in high school while at a friend's house down the street, i came face to face with his dead aunt. she died in the room next to the bathroom a few years earlier and i knew what she looked like. i told my friend what i saw and he said she has been showing up from time to time and that she was just retracing her steps from her room to the bathroom and back, never went anywhere else in the house.

she was a heavy smoker and the smell of cigarettes lingered in the hallway for an hour or so after i saw her. creeped me out.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by asciibaron View Post
    not one to believe in haunting and what not, but in high school while at a friend's house down the street, i came face to face with his dead aunt. she died in the room next to the bathroom a few years earlier and i knew what she looked like. i told my friend what i saw and he said she has been showing up from time to time and that she was just retracing her steps from her room to the bathroom and back, never went anywhere else in the house.

she was a heavy smoker and the smell of cigarettes lingered in the hallway for an hour or so after i saw her. creeped me out.
    Another thing that has crossed my mind is perhaps it's some sort of ripple, like when you toss a rock into a lake. The rock comes and goes but the effect of the energy is visible for some time after. Again, something no one has thought to look for or measure, or perhaps cannot measure.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    Another thing that has crossed my mind is perhaps it's some sort of ripple, like when you toss a rock into a lake. The rock comes and goes but the effect of the energy is visible for some time after. Again, something no one has thought to look for or measure, or perhaps cannot measure.

If there's energy, shouldn't it be measurable? James Randi has a million bucks for you if you can get any sort of legitimate verification of the phenomenon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    As an empirical scientist, whenever my friends tell me of a haunted place, I go there and ask that the lights be turned off while I'm in whatever room is supposedly "haunted." I then proceed to verbally provoke the "ghost" over the course of about 5 minutes. I have yet to experience anything except a good laugh. Ghosts are for dumb people.

I also live in a 100+ year old house that creaks and makes random noises, never once have I equated that with being haunted.
    This, people who believe will see and those that don't, won't. Same for UFOs, believers look into the sky wanting to see something and the others never really look at the sky for anything other than satellites, stars and comets etc. Not dumb but easily convinced perhaps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    I read The Believing Brain a while back. It's a great book that gets into the science of belief, and shows how people can continue to believe something even after it has been proved to them that it was faked.

The Believing Brain: From Ghosts and Gods to Politics and Conspiracies---How We Construct Beliefs and Reinforce Them as Truths: Michael Shermer: 9781250008800: Amazon.com: Books

"Synthesizing thirty years of research, psychologist and science historian Michael Shermer upends the traditional thinking about how humans form beliefs about the world. Simply put, beliefs come first and explanations for beliefs follow. The brain, Shermer argues, is a belief engine. Using sensory data that flow in through the senses, the brain naturally begins to look for and find patterns, and then infuses those patterns with meaning, forming beliefs. Once beliefs are formed the brain begins to look for and find confirmatory evidence in support of those beliefs, accelerating the process of reinforcing them, and round and round the process goes in a positive-feedback loop.

In The Believing Brain, Shermer provides countless real-world examples of how this process operates, from politics, economics, and religion to conspiracy theories, the supernatural, and the paranormal. And ultimately, he demonstrates why science is the best tool ever devised to determine whether or not our beliefs match reality. "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    I read The Believing Brain a while back. It's a great book that gets into the science of belief.......
    And... at the other end of the scale we have full-on paranormal research.

Humans are still centuries from a complete understanding of the real world around us. Even though much of the paranormal can... or almost can... be explained. To suggest that ether science or pure belief has a complete and/or accurate answer is a mistruth... or at least a stretch. Accepting the grossly incomplete scientific upstanding we have now as a belief system.... is just as much superstition.... as pure superstition.

I can't believe that ether end of the science-belief scale is anywhere near the truth.

I believe..... that I provide the balance that keeps my bicycle in an upright position. Yet if I roll a bicycle down the driveway it remains upright as if it is ridden. There are theory's as to how is all works. It isn't paranormal... nor is it science yet ether.

When it comes to understanding the world around us on ether a spiritual or scientific level..... humans are little more than a Varity of hairless monkey.
    Last edited by Dave Cutter; 08-02-2013 at 04:43 AM.
    If I didn't bicycle when the weather is bad... I wouldn't be a cyclist. I'd just be another old fat man... with a bicycle hanging in his garage.

Urban Cycling.... Overcome your fears (a YouTube Link).
    Learn to cycle in traffic
    Or... just HTFU

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
    And... at the other end of the scale we have full-on paranormal research.

Humans are still centuries from a complete understanding of the real world around us. Even though much of the paranormal can... or almost can... be explained. To suggest that ether science or pure belief has a complete and/or accurate answer is a mistruth... or at least a stretch. Accepting the grossly incomplete scientific upstanding we have now as a belief system.... is just as much superstition.... as pure superstition.

I can't believe that ether end of the science-belief scale is anywhere near the truth.

I believe..... that I provide the balance that keeps my bicycle in an upright position. Yet if I roll a bicycle down the driveway it remains upright as if it is ridden. There are theory's as to how is all works. It isn't paranormal... nor is it science yet ether.

When it comes to understanding the world around us on ether a spiritual or scientific level..... humans are little more than a Varity of hairless monkey.
    Science isn't a belief system, it's a methodology that has proven amazingly effective at discovering how the Universe works. If the "paranormal" is indeed part of our Universe, there is no reason that scientific methodology shouldn't work for studying it. Paranormal "research" is a misnomer as far as I am aware. It's the stuff of TV shows not research journals. I would assume if there were some real substance to it there would be people hitting James Randi up for his million dollars, and as far as I am aware there aren't.

I think you're confusing the objective truths that science reveals about our Universe with the subjective truths of spiritual experiences. The fundamental mistake people make is inferring too much about the former from the latter. Just because you feel the profundity of an experience or have an atypical experience (e.g. out of body experience, see a "ghost") tells you nothing about the Universe other than you have evolved the capacity to have such an experience. If the experience is telling you something about the Universe beyond simply your experience than scientific methodology should be able to confirm whatever it is you think it is telling you (e.g. that ghosts really exist in the Universe independent of your belief in them).

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Barry View Post
    Science isn't a belief system, it's a methodology that has proven amazingly effective at discovering how the Universe works.
    Exactly. There has been plenty of scientific research into the possibility of the paranormal, but nothing came of it. We had the CIA's MJ-12 project, and of course the Nazis and the Russians were into it too.

Another excellent book on the subject is Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark - The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark: Carl Sagan, Ann Druyan: 9780345409461: Amazon.com: Books

"Carl Sagan muses on the current state of scientific thought, which offers him marvelous opportunities to entertain us with his own childhood experiences, the newspaper morgues, UFO stories, and the assorted flotsam and jetsam of pseudoscience. Along the way he debunks alien abduction, faith-healing, and channeling; refutes the arguments that science destroys spirituality, and provides a "baloney detection kit" for thinking through political, social, religious, and other issues."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Given the abundance of nonsense available at one's finger tips on the internet these days, some version of a "baloney detection kit" should be taught to High School Students as part of a critical thinking class.

E.g., If you didn't know better and just went searching on Amazon for archaeology books you'd think the notion that ancient civilizations were built by aliens has some sort of credence.

I don't know what bugs me more, that Amazon has this type of pseudoscience nonsense mixed in with legit science books or that PBS seems to have a fetish for putting on "new age" hokum peddlers like "Dr." Wayne Dyer.

fu
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    This, people who believe will see and those that don't, won't. Same for UFOs, believers look into the sky wanting to see something and the others never really look at the sky for anything other than satellites, stars and comets etc. Not dumb but easily convinced perhaps.
    I'm in this camp too. The human mind is a very powerful thing. It can make you see what you want to see whether consciously or otherwise.
    My other chainring is a 39...
    Strava profile

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ph0enix View Post
    I'm in this camp too. The human mind is a very powerful thing. It can make you see what you want to see whether consciously or otherwise.
    The human mind is very good at making sense of random patterns - like the whole cloud game as a kid.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 2.0 View Post
    The human mind is very good at making sense of random patterns - like the whole cloud game as a kid.
    Or nonsense, as the case may be

In other words it works good enough, but we know it's far from perfect and susceptible to glitches. I think Oliver Sacks has a new book out on hallucinations, which I would think might have some relevance to this discussion.

Cranky Old Bastard
    Carl Sagan wrote another good book, Broca's Brain, where he debunks religion and paranormal activity.

The Matrix movie blew my mind because it could be true. All five of our senses are nothing more than electrical impulses interpreted by the brain.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
    Carl Sagan wrote another good book, Broca's Brain, where he debunks religion and paranormal activity.

The Matrix movie blew my mind because it could be true. All five of our senses are nothing more than electrical impulses interpreted by the brain.
    Your whole experience, as far as we know, is nothing but electrical impulses conducted in the neurons of your brain. How the brain creates a mind seems to be one of those fundamental questions science is not so near to cracking.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast