Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Ricardo Cabeza

my daughter watched a shadow come down the stairs and go around the corner

Yikes.

I've posted before about all the strange goings on at our old house - someone sitting on the edge of the bed in the middle of the night, purses getting thrown about and dumped out, books flying off shelves, lights turning on and off, etc. I never could explain that stuff.

It's been quiet here in the last three years, which is good because that stuff kinda freaks me out, especially the bed thing, as I was awake and heard someone approach that corner of the bed (the old wood floor creaked). It happened more than once. The first time it happened I thought it was Mrs69 coming back from the bathroom until I realized she was lying next to me.

But, now some strange things have started happening at out new place.

Last night, Mrs69 saw something block out the reflection of the kitchen light off the door between that and the living room. Something solid. Then my daughter as she's approaching the stairs watched a shadow come down the stairs, turn, and go into the playroom. A while back we heard the doorknob rattle on the door between the living room and the front hall - very distinctive sound.

All have very plausible explanations, I'm sure
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Unhappy eBay whiners coming back from the dead to annoy you??
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Eddy 53:11
    "Cocaines' a hell of a drug!"
    Is there house history that can help explain any of this? I'm intrigued by this stuff.
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    It reminds me of this movie...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    ...But, now some strange things have started happening at out new place.
    If it moves with you... or follows you... isn't that a poltergeist?
    If I didn't bicycle when the weather is bad... I wouldn't be a cyclist. I'd just be another old fat man... with a bicycle hanging in his garage.

Urban Cycling.... Overcome your fears (a YouTube Link).
    Learn to cycle in traffic
    Or... just HTFU

A wheelist
    I'd $#!t my pants.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Everything above, up to that blue line, is IMO IMO.

corning my own beef
    everyone knows that the eeriest of spectres and apparitions are attracted to old Oldsmobiles....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

Not Banned
    I grew up in a house like that
    they never did us harm
    they are just a type of room mate
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Roll Out Jeremy
    We "smudged" our house 5 times......no problems....
    Ollie Ollie Oxen Free
    "Don't believe everything you think"

Ricardo Cabeza
    Nothing has happened here like happened at the old place yet. I mean, there were things walking around in the attic (well what did it sound like honey? It sounded just like when YOU walk around up there), water faucets turning on by themselves, furtive movements in dark corners, etc. Some of it is attributable to having a cat, for sure, but some happened after we no longer had a cat, and anyway what is one supposed to think when everyone in the house is sitting in the living room and the hall light comes on, accompanied by the SNAP of the light switch?

Or when my then 3 year old daughter says out of the blue one day "grandma came to see me last night" and in response to our "huh????", she replied "grandma Millie, same as me" (her name is Amelia), and then later in the day looks in a family photo album, points to an old photo of an old woman and says "Grandma Millie!!". The photo was of her great great grandmother, also named Amelia. Spooooooky.

On several occasions my daughter has come down stairs saying "what do you want Mommy?" She had heard her name called.

I find this stuff fascinating. Maybe it's time to call Ghost Hunters lol
    Last edited by Andy69; 07-31-2013 at 06:08 AM.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Proud luddite
    Man, that is spooky stuff!

My brother and his family used to live in an old house and from time to time would see someone who they called the "grey man". It was usually at a time when there was danger....maybe during a violent storm or when their son would play near the creek that ran alongside their house....."grey man" would appear. He was a man plainly dressed but he always looked grey, from his clothing to his skin color. He never did anything, just stood there, sometimes inside the house, sometimes in the yard. After a few sightings they figured out that it was someone's spirit who just wanted to make sure they were o.k., or maybe reassuring them that everything would be o.k. It got to the point where they weren't even scared of him any more and kind of appreciated his concern. But they moved away and never saw him again. I wonder if "grey man" is protecting the people who live in that house now.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Then there was the apartment I lived in before I bought that old house. It was the right half of a long house, making it basically a shotgun shack. My bedroom was in front, then the living room, then the office, then the kitchen. The bathroom was off the office. I got up in the middle of the night to pee, walked into the living room and ended up face to face with the headless apparition of a woman in a black dress. Needless to say I freaked the **** out and scrambled to find the light switch.

When I turned it on I realized the apparition was just the dress form with the Victorian-era dress I had bought at an estate auction the day before and had placed in the living room

SuperAndy's Garage

Ricardo Cabeza
    I wish they'd be more helpful, like doing the laundry or dishes or listing some stuff on Ebay for us

SuperAndy's Garage

Ricardo Cabeza
    oh yeah then this morning my almost 3 year old said when he got up that he was a little scared of the black monster playing on his pirate ship (he's got a big pirate ship toy box my FIL made for him). I've just brushed that one off as an overactive 3 year old imagination but he's not usually like that so it's a little out of character for him.

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Then there was the apartment I lived in before ....
    Then... it would appear to follow... you.

I wish they'd be more helpful,
    "They'd"... plural?

oh yeah then this morning my almost 3 year old said.......
    Kids eat up a lot of attention. Could that be the cause for the poltergeist activity.
    If I didn't bicycle when the weather is bad... I wouldn't be a cyclist. I'd just be another old fat man... with a bicycle hanging in his garage.

Urban Cycling.... Overcome your fears (a YouTube Link).
    Learn to cycle in traffic
    Or... just HTFU

Frog Whisperer
    what/who ever it is is looking for their TREE...... you, sir....are in trouble!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't really believe, but there seem to be enough people who are serious about what they've experienced and have no reason to make things up. We had one experience as kids (my sister, her friend and I) with the Ouija board that has me wondering.

Someday maybe we'll find the scientific explanation for all this stuff, but for now it is intriguing. Especially when/why kids seem to experience things easily.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    I don't really believe, but there seem to be enough people who are serious about what they've experienced and have no reason to make things up. We had one experience as kids (my sister, her friend and I) with the Ouija board that has me wondering.

Someday maybe we'll find the scientific explanation for all this stuff, but for now it is intriguing. Especially when/why kids seem to experience things easily.
    I dunno, I have some ideas about it.

Take a man straight out of the Upper Paleolithic and put him in front of the elevators in the Empire State Building. He watches as a man goes in, doors close, and a little while later they open and a woman walks out. Same thing later except two men walk in and then it opens and it's empty. How is he going to explain that when he has no concept of what an elevator is or what it does? He's going to try to explain it using what he does know, or what he THINKS he knows. Most likely it would be explained as some kind of magic or the work of gods or what have you.

There is a lot we don't know, scientifically, about the environment around us. It could be that such phenomena such as a book flying off a shelf has a perfectly logical scientific explanation, but we just have not made the empirical observations necessary to collect the data to help us figure it out, either because we lack the ability to make those observations due to a lack of proper instruments or because no one has given it a serious attempt. I'm reminded of the Star Trek episode where they run through some sort of "sub space anomaly" that does all kinds of weird things to the ship. Could be some kind of environmental cause, or some phenomenon that we can't measure or don't fully understand.

I watched one of those ghost type shows once where a woman was seeing apparitions and hearing voices etc in her bedroom at night. They brought in their instrumentation and discovered that at the head of her bed, right where her head was, there was a very high magnetic field. On the other side of the wall was the electrical panel for the house. She moved her bed over to where there was no field and her visions stopped. Makes you think.

So called "paranormal" events often have empirically measurable physical phenomena associated with them, like high magnetic readings, temperature differentials, light, etc. But what causes them remains elusive, so we try to explain them with what we DO know, and so we end up with the friendly or not so friendly ghost.

SuperAndy's Garage

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    what/who ever it is is looking for their TREE...... you, sir....are in trouble!
    The walking around in the attic began shorty after we brought home a cedar cabinet from Mrs69s grandmother's house. She had passed away and the grandfather had moved to a home. Finally Mrs69 got pissed and went up to the attic after hearing it for the umpteenth time and shouted "it's just a damn piece of furniture! Get over it already!". It stopped after that

SuperAndy's Garage

Frog Whisperer
    I told you....it's about a tree.....cabinet was wood right?..........it's ALWAYS about a tree!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    It's spent crop dustings. Their power to offend is short-lived but they're doomed to wander the world forever.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Andy,

You've got ghosts. Ghosts that follow you, so they must be personal. As long as they're harmless I don't see any problems. And it's always going to be a great conversation topic. Might get a little awkward when your kids want to show-and-tell at school, but I'd just roll with it.

biding my time
    I think you know who you have to call.

System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So called "paranormal" events often have empirically measurable physical phenomena associated with them, like high magnetic readings, temperature differentials, light, etc. But what causes them remains elusive, so we try to explain them with what we DO know, and so we end up with the friendly or not so friendly ghost.

Exactly. If only these stupid "Ghost Hunters" shows would quit the drama and get down to the science.

Although, I do like "Celebrity Ghost Stories." They seem plausible, but when it comes to TV, you can never be too sure.

Like how all the "alien abduction" stories have similar themes that should have a common scientific basis, we should someday understand "ghosts." Though I may not live long enough to hear the explanation for all the hallucinations about anal probing....

I Type, Therefore I Am
    "Too bad we can't stay, baby!"
    "Wind doesn't suck, it blows." - my friend Bill
    "Knowin' the time ain't gonna get me there quicker" -Fear

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast