RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

My journey with sarcoma: Good News!!!

Earlier this month, Jan. 4th, I had a CT scan of my chest to determine progress in this fight against metastatic sarcoma. We finally met with my oncologist this past Tuesday; the week and half wait seemed like an eternity. The really great news is that the largest tumor in my lung has shrunk in diameter from 1.4cm to 0.6cm. She (my onc) had told us at the start of treatment that this chemo has positive effect (stopping lung met growth) in 25-45% of patients, and causes actual shrinkage of the lung mets in only 7-10% of patients. We kept telling her that we were hoping for total shrinkage, but could tell that she thought we were wishing too high and setting ourselves up for disappointment. When she was discussing how my tumor had shrunk, I commented that I was now part of the 7%. She got a bit choked up and said that she doesn't always get to deliver this kind of good news. It is incredibly relieving to know that we have found something that certainly appears to be working. While the fight is far from over, I now at least feel that I can allow myself to think about the future again.

I will have another 2 rounds of chemo, another scan, and if all goes perfectly, another 2 rounds and will then be done with treatment. I understand that an actual cure for metastatic disease is very rare, especially with sarcoma which tends to have a higher mortality rate than many cancers, but life can keep going on by managing the disease. I am okay with that. Even if I have just bought a larger block of time, it will definitely be longer than the 12-18 months we first discussed.

For now, my blood has to get healthy enough to continue my chemo treatments. I have been delayed twice becuase of certain measurements that are not quite good enough.

I'm in a great place right now, the relief knowing that we are making progress is amazing.

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by tazdag View Post
    ...I'm in a great place right now, the relief knowing that we are making progress is amazing.
    SWEET news... I guess congratulations are in order for you and the support team!
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

Misfit Toy
    Awesome news! Prayers and blessings that things continue to improve.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

Bacon!
    Congrats and hope it keeps going well.

By the way, I'm pretty sure this is the only time a guy hopes for shrinkage.
    “To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit — ever. They’re like the Viet Cong — Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.”

Fred the Clydesdale
    Congratulations! I will pray for your healing to continue!
    Member of Team Collin, a group of ordinary moreons going to extraordinary levels of awesome in the fight against cancer.

Love conquers all. God is love. Jesus is love personified. Figure it out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am so happy for you! I hope the shrinking continues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's very nice to have read that news.

You are a brave person. Best of luck to you and I send good thoughts and karma your way.
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

Spicy Dumpling
    Great news. Keep fighting the fight brother!
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Quote Originally Posted by tazdag View Post
    Earlier this month, Jan. 4th, I had a CT scan of my chest to determine progress in this fight against metastatic sarcoma. We finally met with my oncologist this past Tuesday; the week and half wait seemed like an eternity. The really great news is that the largest tumor in my lung has shrunk in diameter from 1.4cm to 0.6cm. She (my onc) had told us at the start of treatment that this chemo has positive effect (stopping lung met growth) in 25-45% of patients, and causes actual shrinkage of the lung mets in only 7-10% of patients. We kept telling her that we were hoping for total shrinkage, but could tell that she thought we were wishing too high and setting ourselves up for disappointment. When she was discussing how my tumor had shrunk, I commented that I was now part of the 7%. She got a bit choked up and said that she doesn't always get to deliver this kind of good news. It is incredibly relieving to know that we have found something that certainly appears to be working. While the fight is far from over, I now at least feel that I can allow myself to think about the future again.

I will have another 2 rounds of chemo, another scan, and if all goes perfectly, another 2 rounds and will then be done with treatment. I understand that an actual cure for metastatic disease is very rare, especially with sarcoma which tends to have a higher mortality rate than many cancers, but life can keep going on by managing the disease. I am okay with that. Even if I have just bought a larger block of time, it will definitely be longer than the 12-18 months we first discussed.

For now, my blood has to get healthy enough to continue my chemo treatments. I have been delayed twice becuase of certain measurements that are not quite good enough.

I'm in a great place right now, the relief knowing that we are making progress is amazing.

Best news of the week....congrats.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Non non normal
    Quote Originally Posted by rider9 View Post
    congratulations! I will pray for your healing to continue!
    ^^^^^this^^^^^
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

half-fast
    That's good to hear. I was wondering how you were doing.

hold my beer n watch this

My journey with sarcoma: Good News!!!

Very good news!
    So no matter who you are, what you look like, or how far you think you are from your goal — kit up and get started. Your friends are out there, waiting for you.

corning my own beef
    great to hear this good news!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

Always changing.....
    Awesome news taz. That is a great moment for you. I hope you have many more in your fight.

Failboat Captian
    Fabulous news! Take care of yourself!
    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

Sharp
    Tazdog, your strength of character, graciousness and positive attitude are really inspirational and humbling. I'm thrilled for you that you have had this turn around. I hope that the news continues to be good.

"
    I know some influential people, like the guy who runs the door at the convention center." PAUL CHRISTOFORO

haole from the mainland
    Happy to see this update, tazdag!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Taz,
    The best news I have heard in some time. My prayers for your complete and utter remission>

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yay shrinkage!!