RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

my saturday night dog skunking

My wife, daughter and I were sitting at home watching animal shows on Animal Planet. Nixie, our 130lb Newfoundland dog decides she urgently needs to go in the backyard. I start to open the door and I see an animal back there. She bolts past me before I can stop her. She makes a beeline to it. After chasing it back and forth, she comes back in the house yelping with her one eye swollen shut. She'd been skunked. We took her to the 24-hour animal hospital. They wouldn't even let her inside. After checking her over that said she is in no danger and sent us home with a washing recipe., They didn't even charge us. The smell is lingering throughput the entire house. We washed her and are hoping for the best tomorrow

biding my time
    Did tomato juice do anything to help? Poor doggie.
    System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Did tomato juice do anything to help? Poor doggie.
    The vet said tomato juice doesn't work. They gave us a recipe for hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and Dawn. She doesn't seem to smell this morning but there is still a lingering smell in the house. The good news is she got sprayed in the face and the rest of her body was unskunked

biding my time
    Skunks. Nature's little chemical-weapons plants.
    System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

w-g
    Will rep for beer
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    ..... They gave us a recipe for hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and Dawn. ......
    This is what works. May take several applications. A bucket and a sopping rag to rub down. Then a bath...then repeat as needed. The stink will still linger for a bit. We've gone through multiple skunkings over the years.
    Our "smart" dog, the Border Collie, has been the worst offender.
    “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.” Inigo Montoya

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by w-g View Post
    This is what works. May take several applications. A bucket and a sopping rag to rub down. Then a bath...then repeat as needed. The stink will still linger for a bit. We've gone through multiple skunkings over the years.
    So I think we've got most of the stink out of the dog after 2 treatments. There is a lingering skunk smell in the house and van though. My wife red to put out bowls of vinegar but so far that hasn't worked. Any ideas on getting the smell out of the house?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by w-g View Post
    My Sister's 'smart' dog, the Akita has been skunked bad a few times. Also, she is the dog that comes home with the most quills in her nose also. The other dog of the house is more of a follower and not so bright.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Add vodka to the tomato juice.

And a splash of hot sauce.

Cooper1960
    Oct 2010
    We had guest from out of town staying at our house once and late that evening one of our dogs got skunked. The smell was so bad they packed up and went to a hotel….wish I could have went with them!
    Miles of agony for moments of ahhh!

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    The vet said tomato juice doesn't work. They gave us a recipe for hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and Dawn. She doesn't seem to smell this morning but there is still a lingering smell in the house. The good news is she got sprayed in the face and the rest of her body was unskunked
    your vet was right. The peroxide and the baking soda makes scrubbing bubbles and the dawn cuts the skunk oil. Just be careful near the eyes. We use a skunk soap for the head area. My dog has been skunked at least 5 times. She seems to like it.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering