RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

My shoulder hates me.....

Just a rant about my worthless shoulder...

I think my shoulder is out to get me. We had 27 happy years but the last 3 have been a battle. I've had 2 shoulder surgeries in the past 3 years to repair a torn labrum, rotator cuff, bicep and tons of cartilage etc...I have minor arthritis in the shoulder but it doesn't usually bother me unless I'm using my arm overhead extensively. Last year was the first full season of biking in years, and I finally completed the century that I had wanted to for a while.

Last Thursday - I slipped on an icy patch behind my office and jammed my arm into the ground. I didn't actually fall, just slammed my arm down to prevent falling, and my shoulder is SCREAMING......I'm really hoping I didn't do damage of any sort, but I am sitting here freaking out as it is sore. No swelling or bruising, just pain. My surgeon is 2 hours away, and I know he will want a MRI and x rays which will involve multiple drives to the hospital and a month before I find out what is going on - which is why i haven't even called yet. Ibuprofen and Ice to the max. Just hoping I am ok...

Zach

S2H
    wut?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    get a mri, asap.

hello
    ....and here I am, complaining about my frozen left shoulder since last summer.

Ostick333....get it checked out asap and let's hope it's nothing serious.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    I know that I should be dealing with this ASAP - and I am slightly embarrassed/ashamed to even type this...but...I just cannot cope with it at the moment. Having been down this road several times - it will be a 2 hour drive each way to the Dr., another drive for the MRI, another for X-rays and another drive to see what the results say. I know the first thing they will say is to ice and ibuprofen for a couple weeks and see what happens. Since I had such extensive damage initially, I ended up at the University of VA as they were the only place that would even touch my shoulder (even Hopkins pushed me to UVA) which is why the travel etc... is so bad, and a local Dr. ortho won't touch me now.

Between owning my business with 15-18 employees that I hate to leave alone and the time commitment to all the trips, etc... - I am sort of hoping for a jammed shoulder that will feel better soon.

Go ahead lounge - tell me what a dumbass decision this is.....

Zach

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Qstick333
    I know that I should be dealing with this ASAP - and I am slightly embarrassed/ashamed to even type this...but...I just cannot cope with it at the moment. Having been down this road several times - it will be a 2 hour drive each way to the Dr., another drive for the MRI, another for X-rays and another drive to see what the results say. I know the first thing they will say is to ice and ibuprofen for a couple weeks and see what happens. Since I had such extensive damage initially, I ended up at the University of VA as they were the only place that would even touch my shoulder (even Hopkins pushed me to UVA) which is why the travel etc... is so bad, and a local Dr. ortho won't touch me now.

Between owning my business with 15-18 employees that I hate to leave alone and the time commitment to all the trips, etc... - I am sort of hoping for a jammed shoulder that will feel better soon.

Go ahead lounge - tell me what a dumbass decision this is.....

Zach

ok...live with it then...you've got another one.

there isn't a medical indication for "jammed shoulder" and you can probably get x-rays at any clinic/hospital/family practice office in your area.

you might have this, you might not:

SHOULDER REHABILITATION FOR NONDISPLACED
    GREATER TUBEROSITY FRACTURE OF THE HUMERUS
    Michael J. Mullin, ATC, PTA
    Kevin R. Stone, M.D.

-
    INJURY:

On the uppermost, lateral aspect of the humerus is a bump called the greater tuberosity. It acts as an attachment for one of the important rotator cuff muscles, the supraspinatus, as well as a guide for your bicep tendon. It is typically injured in a fall on an outstretched arm, a "jam" into the shoulder joint, or direct impact.

INITIAL CARE:

X-ray diagnosis is essential to rule out a displaced fracture. If not displaced, then:

Immobilization: Immobilization in a sling for 2 weeks for comfort.

Follow-up: A follow-up x-ray should be taken at 1 week post-injury to confirm stability and again at 1 month.

Icing: Ice bags, cold packs or cold therapy units can be used to ice the shoulder initially. 20 minute sessions, 3 - 5 times a day for the first 5 days aids in reducing pain and swelling.

Motion Exercises: 5 - 10 times a day: -take arm out of sling and flex and extend elbow fully for 20-30 repetitions. Perform this smoothly and slowly.

-squeeze shoulder blades together gently and hold for 5 sec. Repeat 10-20 times

-squeeze putty or racquetball for a few minutes regularly to work strength and motion. Cardiovascular: Stationary bike and stair machine without weight on arms are okay immediately. Lower body workouts and uninvolved upper body also okay to initiate immediately.

Precautions: * Do not try and actively abduct or lift arm out to the side for 4 - 6 weeks.

* Avoid quick, jerky movements.

* Do not lean on elbow on the injured side or try and push up to a sitting position for 4 - 6 weeks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Aaarrghhh - scare tactics....

Really, I do know that I should be going, but the situation is brutal. I have tried the local Dr. route and there isn;t one that will see me after the history I have at UVA. It seems crazy, but it none will accept the responsibility of my shoulder. I called the local ER about getting an xray - but they told me that I would need to have it read by my Dr., and the local Dr's won;t see me and UVA Dr. won't accept non UVA Xrays and MRI's......

I feel like I am in a catch 22.....times like this I wish I could just cut the arm off, it would have been easier than the past 3-4 years - and with the prospect of another season or more of not riding...I'm severely depressed at the moment....

Hoping it gets better..

Zach

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    go to uva on saturday? they have emergency services there? use them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    I thought about that - but what do you think the odds of getting a MRI while I wait would be? Usually - they reserve the few available units for true emergencies, and my ability to move my arm etc... probably disqualifies me for immediate coverage, and then I am back for another weekday trip etc...

I appreciate the idea, I am probably being am total douche bag here...

Wearing blue suede shoes
    Probably going to have to lay off the Wii for awhile.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Qstick333
    I thought about that - but what do you think the odds of getting a MRI while I wait would be? Usually - they reserve the few available units for true emergencies, and my ability to move my arm etc... probably disqualifies me for immediate coverage, and then I am back for another weekday trip etc...

I appreciate the idea, I am probably being am total douche bag here...

maybe get an xray and some good meds? you could have a fracture.