Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: NBA Finals

biding my time
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    I'd take that bet...88-78 games do not bring the boys to the yard. The NBA is loving a scoring boom that is driven by sharp shooters and uptempo.
    Moving the 3-line back slightly and dropping the made % by a couple or three percentage points wouldn't turn typical game scores into 88-78 affairs.

Even teams like Houston which routinely heave up 40+ three-point attempts per game would see their scoring drop maybe 3 pts per game, on average. Nor would it affect the transition game or game tempo.

What it might do is keep teams like Houston (and eventually many others) from evolving into 50+ or even 60+ 3-point attempts-per-game teams in a few years (an avg team takes 85 shots, total, per game), keep 7-foot centers from prowling the 3-point arc instead of doing what they were born to do, and keep the midrange game from dying out, too. Maybe.

If you like the current game, then moving the 3-pt line back is a way to preserve the current balance or close, rather than letting it evolve into something even much more 3-heavy in the years to come. 'Cuz that seems to be where we're headed, as various GMs around the league try to 'out-Warrior the Warriors'.

Houston is just one of the early examples of that.

Last edited by SystemShock; 06-15-2017 at 03:17 PM.
    System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

biding my time
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Makes sense. Hey we can have courtside luxury boxes for the rich and famous with the Kardasians doing interviews of the cast of Rich Wives of Whereverthegameis.
    Please don't give them any ideas.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Cat 6
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Moving the 3-line back slightly and dropping the made % by a couple or three percentage points wouldn't turn typical game scores into 88-78 affairs.

Even teams like Houston which routinely heave up 40+ three-point attempts per game would see their scoring drop maybe 3 pts per game, on average. Nor would it affect the transition game or game tempo.

What it might do is keep teams like Houston (and eventually many others) from evolving into 50+ or even 60+ 3-point attempts-per-game teams in a few years (an avg team takes 85 shots, total, per game), keep 7-foot centers from prowling the 3-point arc instead of doing what they were born to do, and keep the midrange game from dying out, too. Maybe.

If you like the current game, then moving the 3-pt line back is a way to preserve the current balance or close, rather than letting it evolve into something even much more 3-heavy in the years to come. 'Cuz that seems to be where we're headed, as various GMs around the league try to 'out-Warrior the Warriors'.

Houston is just one of the early examples of that.

I definitely disagree but that debate could go on forever. More than anything I don't think the NBA sees this as broke so it won't be fixed.

Certainly the Harden fake contact rules will change long before.

30 mpdb
    Accuracy should be rewarded. Give me a 4 or 5 point line.

Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by beeristasty View Post
    Yeah let's make the game totally unrecognizable…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

biding my time
    Certainly the Harden fake contact rules will change long before.
    Yep, that's definitely an issue too. Rein in The Beard.

Quote Originally Posted by beeristasty
    That would make Steph Curry larger-than-life, since a 4-pt line would probably be out at around 28 feet or so, and he can consistently drain those.

So, if you want the Warriors to be even more dominant...

30 mpdb
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    Yeah let's make the game totally unrecognizable…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It already is! The 3 point line didn't exist when the game was created. And where's the peach basket goals? And what's the deal with allowing players 5 or 6 fouls before being dq'd? It should be 3 like Jebus Naismith intended!

Cat 6
    Sure, and let's remove the shot clock and return to Dean Smith days off standing around/passing for 10 minutes. Final score, 44-38.

Cat 6
    BTW, in case anyone is interested, ESPN 30 for 30: Celtics/Lakers is terrific recap of their rivalry over the years. Worth watching. Amazing seeing what passed for a regular foul back in the day vs now. I'm not sure what justified a flagrant back then. Maybe decapitation.

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    No doubt in my mind KD is MVP. Lebron may have had better numbers but late game crunch time it was KD coming through time and again for the Warriors. End of Game 3 was when LBJ should have grabbed the game by the neck but he watched Kyrie dribble out the shot clock and then he passed to Korver from the lane. Meanwhile KD threw daggers.

No doubt fatigue, as noted above, was a factor.
    KD's numbers were near equal and he played a lot fewer minutes
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Not Banned
    I predict the warriors will become like the Patriots where quality veteran role players will play for less to bag a championship. Many will follow West's lead

biding my time
    BTW, in case anyone is interested, ESPN 30 for 30: Celtics/Lakers is terrific recap of their rivalry over the years. Worth watching. Amazing seeing what passed for a regular foul back in the day vs now. I'm not sure what justified a flagrant back then. Maybe decapitation.
    People say that Michael Jordan saved the NBA, 'cuz there was a time when the NBA was doing poorly and looked like it was on its way out.

To which I, and many others say... bullsh!t. Larry and Magic saved the NBA.

Celtics-Lakers rivalry in the '80s was tremendous and one of the best ever, in any sport.

Cavs-Warriors rivalry may eventually have to get to that level, but it's hard in the era of 'ZOMG, you can't touch the other guy!'

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    People say that Michael Jordan saved the NBA, 'cuz there was a time when the NBA was doing poorly and looked like it was on its way out.

Celtics-Lakers rivalry in the '80s was tremendous and one of the best ever, in any sport.

Cavs-Warriors rivalry may eventually have to get to that level, but it's hard in the era of 'ZOMG, you can't touch the other guy!'
    I've never heard anyone say that about Jordan. The credit has always gone to Bird/Magic.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

biding my time
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck View Post
    I've never heard anyone say that about Jordan. The credit has always gone to Bird/Magic.
    I've heard it. Mostly from fans who were of a certain age (i.e. quite young when Jordan was at his peak, winning championships in the '90s).

Where they got the idea, I dunno. The league was on solid footing by the time the Bulls went on their historic run... again, largely due to Magic and Bird.

Cat 6

It was the real deal hate...right down to all the "gaming" that auerbach pulled, eg no ac/fans in the visiting locker room and 95+ deg temps on the court. It was also a great refresher on just how good Bird/Magic were in their prime. Lord I hated the Celtics.......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    I've heard it. Mostly from fans who were of a certain age (i.e. quite young when Jordan was at his peak, winning championships in the '90s).

Where they got the idea, I dunno. The league was on solid footing by the time the Bulls went on their historic run... again, largely due to Magic and Bird.
    They were not old enough if they think Jordan saved the NBA.. I might be showing my age but for me it starts with the Dr

Cat 6
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    They were not old enough if they think Jordan saved the NBA.. I might be showing my age but for me it starts with the Dr
    The league was really struggling during the Dr era though. I was a Dr fan for sure, he was the first gen of a new era but the NBA/aba was still figuring it all out. Showtime Lakers, Larry triple MVP, "NBA action it's fantastic", Lakers v Celtics, etc. was really the launch of the excitement and the original dream team turned it into a global brand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What Dallas vs. Green Bay did for the NFL, Boston vs. Los Angeles did for the NBA. Two mortal enemies brawling, clawing, grabbing, kicking, biting, and bloodied until the victor lifts the trophy.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Cat 6
    I cannot believe the Cavs dumped their GM now. Truly remarkable. He gets them a ring, builds a team around attacking the W's, gets full endorsement from LBJ and they can't figure out a way to keep him? What the hell.

Not Banned
    The league was really struggling during the Dr era though. I was a Dr fan for sure, he was the first gen of a new era but the NBA/aba was still figuring it all out. Showtime Lakers, Larry triple MVP, "NBA action it's fantastic", Lakers v Celtics, etc. was really the launch of the excitement and the original dream team turned it into a global brand.
    actually Dr I and the sixers were beating the Bird Celtics in that era. It wasn't until they added Parrish and McHale did they end the Dr's reign

Cat 6
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    actually Dr I and the sixers were beating the Bird Celtics in that era. It wasn't until they added Parrish and McHale did they end the Dr's reign
    Yep, but the league itself was struggling. And to be fair, time ended the Drs reign.
    http://youtu.be/59-SL40iBN4

biding my time
    I cannot believe the Cavs dumped their GM now. Truly remarkable. He gets them a ring, builds a team around attacking the W's, gets full endorsement from LBJ and they can't figure out a way to keep him? What the hell.
    Sounds like they're shooting themselves in the foot just to save a few bucks (apparently the old GM wanted a raise). Dumb.

And if their replacement GM isn't as good at deal-making, that increases the chances that 1) the Cavs won't be competitive with the Warriors going forward, and 2) that LeBron either leaves Cleveland (again), or retires early.

Not too impressed with the decision-making here, unless they've got a pretty serious GM candidate we haven't heard about waiting in the wings.

Also doesn't help that they did this right before the draft and right before the free agency period begins.

Cat 6
    Also doesn't help that they did this right before the draft and right before the free agency period begins.
    This is the most astounding part imo. Any other time of the year you can move past it but right now is the time where you need a guy that knows what he's doing and has a gameplan for next season.

Not Banned
    Yep, but the league itself was struggling. And to be fair, time ended the Drs reign.
    http://youtu.be/59-SL40iBN4
    understood. The Magic / Bird rivalry pushed it more into the limelight, but the good Dr. was, to me, the beginning of the modern era.

Cat 6
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    understood. The Magic / Bird rivalry pushed it more into the limelight, but the good Dr. was, to me, the beginning of the modern era.
    I don't know how anyone could debate that...

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast