Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 121314

Thread: NBA Finals

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    Isn't it going to be longer this season? I thought they added some extra rest days or something.
    Heard they added a week to the season, in part with the goal of completely eliminating the dreaded 'four games in 5 days' stretches that all players absolutely HATED.

The extra fatigue from those also likely contributed to more injuries, I'd think...

They need to scrap a month from regular season, 2 weeks from pre-season and maybe shorten first 2 playoff rounds back to best of 5 imo.
    Yup. But to truly shorten the season means fewer games, and no one... not the owners, nor the players, wants to accept the reduced amount of money that'd mean.

The network TV contracts aren't going to pay the same if they, say, went back to 72 game seasons. Though that would be a really smart thing to do in lots of other ways (fewer injuries, better play/more intensity, longer careers/more star players in the league at any one time, etc.)

But, unfortunately, due to the almighty $$$, the best they can do is chip away around the edges. Shorten the preseason, like you said, and go back to best-of-5 for the first round of the playoffs, as it used to be. Use most of what additional days that gives you for more rest days.

The season won't be significantly shorter, but players will be better-rested, less banged-up, and the typical level of play should go up.

They probably could also do some things with the salary cap rules that would enable more teams to retain talented and deep benches, so that the starters can rest more.

Last edited by SystemShock; 08-31-2017 at 04:18 AM.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 121314